You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

betting after the flop when you have two cards higher than the flop.

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
i need help with the situation i find my self in.if i have ak aq aj hole cards i usally raise i then get called by someone.. i miss the flop with 3 under cards they bet, should i fold call or reraise . i find i,m folding and i think this may be the wrong thing to do. all help would be greatfully received

Comments

• edited November 2011
    post some hands

in general you can call or raise sometimes
  • edited November 2011
    depends on flop if some is calling your raise ten donk leading out its not usually that strong depends on tetxture of the flop like rainbow flop or 3 of 1 suit etc i tend to raise the bet from villain or float and call and try and take away on any turn card 
  • edited November 2011
    It depends on a lot of things. For example is the flop in your opponents range (could they have cards that would make a hand)? are there possible draws in your opponents range? Do you think your opponent has a pocket pair? and most important possition and stack sizes.

In a cash game 100BBs deep take this example. You have AK on the button and make it 3xBB to go. You are called by the big blind and everyone else folds. The flop is T62 rainbow and your opponent checks. A bet of about half the pot would usually be enough to take down the pot because it's so unlikely that your opponent has a made hand. This is called a continuation bet or c-bet.

You should mix these up with times when you hit the flop too. The idea being that if you always bet when you hit and you always check/fold when you miss you become predictable. If you bet sometimes when you miss then you can still rep a hand, and if you are called you have six outs on the turn anyway.

The problem comes when you hold say KsQs and the board is Jd9h8h. This is a horrible board to c-bet because you only have a gut-shot straight and making one of your over cards into a pair would bring a pretty scary board for the straight (or the flush if it's another heart).

Read more about c-betting. It's the first step to learning post flop play and it feels good when you take down a pot with king high
  • edited November 2011
    Post some hands that u are unsure about. without knowing the textures of these boards, when ur folding, its hard to give u any real advice