You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Beating Low Stakes...

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hello all this is my first post, good to be on the forums & Sky poker.

My question is, in this day and age, is it possible to beat the low stakes?

My take on low is:

0.04/0.08 all the way up to 0.25/0.50... 0.50/1 seems to be where you can actually play a proper game of poker but requires a bankroll of at LEAST £5,000. Which I do not have.

For instance in the low stakes, more often than not if I'm in late position, there will usually be 1-3 limps, I'm sat with a premium hand - AA,KK,QQ, AKs etc... Put in a standard 4-7x BB raise... But 3-5 callers!? 

Even with AA in this spot, against more than 2 opponents I am actually BEHIND statistically. And it's quite alarming to see some of the hands that are played.

For instance, yesterday... UTG limp, UTG+1 limp, I'm in the cut-off RAISE 6x BB with AKs, SB call, BB call, UTG call, UTG+1 fold.
FLOP - A Q 7 
SB bets pot, I re-raise 3x pot, fold fold, SB calls...
Turn, 7... At this point there's no way I'm putting the guy on QQ or a 7.. or 7,7... The ONLY possible hand I believe he could have at this point is AQ, but it's a far cry?

River is a blank... He checks I check... He has 10,7off and had turned trips... 

How do you beat this? It happens every time I have a premium hand, unless I flop a set or a straight... I lose to these raggy hands that call 7x BB raise pre and a over bet on a flop where they caught bottom pair and no draw.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments