You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

omaha cash playing a lag player raises every hand is this a call

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
IDONKCALLUSmall blind £0.02£0.02£6.68CandidBig blind £0.04£0.06£4.51 Your hole cardsKQA10   scubadiverCall £0.04£0.10£3.62IDONKCALLURaise £0.16£0.26£6.52CandidCall £0.14£0.40£4.37scubadiverCall £0.14£0.54£3.48Flop  3A8   IDONKCALLUCheck    CandidBet £0.41£0.95£3.96scubadiverFold    IDONKCALLUCall £0.41£1.36£6.11Turn  10   IDONKCALLUCheck    CandidBet £0.68£2.04£3.28IDONKCALLUCall £0.68£2.72£5.43River  2   IDONKCALLUCheck    CandidAll-in £3.28£6.00£0.00IDONKCALLUCall £3.28£9.28£2.15IDONKCALLUShowKQA10   CandidShow7468   IDONKCALLUWinTwo Pairs, Aces and 10s£8.58 £10.73

Comments

• edited November 2011
      The more i look at this hand the more confused i get with the way it was played. So what i will do is run through it piece by piece and then give my opinion fwiw.

Preflop: Totally predictable at this level of game that a decent raise is called by everyone. So we immediately know that we are up at least 2 any4 merchants because they can not all have good hands.The lack of a 3-bet means we can probably rule out AAxx or KKxx.

Flop: This is a truily awful flop for you with your high connecting cards. You have TPTK and no draw which makes your hand virtually worthless. This then leaves you with 2 realistic options either you can fire out the c-bet or check fold. The check call here i believe to be a bad choice because you have no idea what you are up against and are just hoping to get lucky.

Turn: You get get lucky by hitting top 2 here and you need to make the decision at this point as to what your opponent may be holding.If you are up against a set then you need to be getting away, but if you think you are up against a draw then you need to be leading out or possibly check raising.

River: Another bad card for you here. The only possible drawing hands you could have been up against going down the dtreets are the flush and the 245 wrap and now one of these has come in. Now when the bet comes in all you are realistically beating is a bad 2 pair or a busted flush draw.

So looking at the way you played this hand says to me that on each street you decided that your opponent was only on the draw and then when the draw came in you decided that it was a different draw he was on. This means that at each stage you were calling hoping that you were good or hoping to get lucky with what was a very marginal holding post flop. I would not have been making this river call because i would not have been in the hand after the flop or even if i was i would have asked the question on the turn.

It is a very difficult skill ranging a hand in NLHE and virtually impossible in PLO, so to be playing down the streets against a totally guessed range is not a good idea in these situations.

With your starting hand selection. These connecting high cards are good because of the combi draws they allow but you need to be aware of the weaknesses that your hand has. Firstly your flush draw is weakened by the fact that you have 1 of the outs in your hand thereby decreasing it potential. Secondly without hitting trips or better on the flop it is obvious that the one card you have to see on the flop is a J. All of your draws depend on this card and if you do not flop one then you really should not be liking virtually any flop.

Just a few thoughts there and i hope some of them are useful.
  • edited November 2011
    thanks for your feedback talon i play omaha a fair bit this was more palyer dependent here i was playing with this guy for an hour a very loose omaha who is happy to get hes stack in with 2 pair so my thoughts were when i hit the 10 on the turn so i had top 2 pair i believe was a very good hand against this opponent and i put him on a flush draw bluffing 3 streets i wouldnt normally play like this just player dependent here