You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

footy quiz pt5

edited November 2011 in The Football Corner
scottish flavour to the quiz today ? 1 kenny dalglish is the most capped scottish player with 102apps but who is 2nd with 91apps 2 complete the sequence andy roxburgh craig brown ----------- tommy burns and walter smith ? 3 who was the last manager to guide 2 different teams to scottish cup  success ? 4 john petrie scored 13 goals for arbroath in their 36-0 drubbing of bon accord in the 1885 scottish cup a record subsequently equalled by archie thompson playing for which country ? 5 in season 2003-04 which scottish premier league team went on a record breaking run of 10 consecutive league defeats ?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    1 kenny dalglish is the most capped scottish player with 102apps but who is 2nd with 91apps

2 complete the sequence andy roxburgh craig brown ----------- tommy burns and walter smith ?

3 who was the last manager to guide 2 different teams to scottish cup success ?

4 john petrie scored 13 goals for arbroath in their 36-0 drubbing of bon accord in the 1885 scottish cup a record subsequently equalled by archie thompson playing for which country ?

5 in season 2003-04 which scottish premier league team went on a record breaking run of 10 consecutive league defeats ?
  • edited November 2011
    Ok il give these a go, havent got much of a clue...

1. Gotta be a keeper, Leighton (i think that was his name)
    4. Australia
    5. St Mirren
  • edited November 2011
    would expect you to get 1 and 4
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
    just read this. Gna have a little think. How would Leighton get 91 caps under Gorum's shaddow??? just unbelieveable tht.

2. if im right in thinking this sequence its managers of Scotland in order. Im sure the missing link is Bertie Voghts Although if im wrong i have the squence wrong and i will try again.

5. Partik Thistle, sure this was their season after John Lambie retired and they had two inexperianced co-managers.
  • edited November 2011
    3. Stab in the dark at Alex Smith. Im sure he won it twice, not sure if he was the last to do it tho. First time with St. Mirren Ian Fergusson was a striker with them before moving to Rangers. Second time i know it was in the early - mid 90s but not sure who wiv.
  • edited November 2011
    don you are a star
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: footy quiz pt5:
    don you are a star
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    was Jim Leighton correct for nuber 1 btw i might start racking my brains while im out tonight if not
  • edited November 2011
    just read this. Gna have a little think. How would Leighton get 91 caps under Gorum's shaddow??? just unbelieveable tht. 2. if im right in thinking this sequence its managers of Scotland in order. Im sure the missing link is Bertie Voghts Although if im wrong i have the squence wrong and i will try again. 5. Partik Thistle, sure this was their season after John Lambie retired and they had two inexperianced co-managers.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Lol....

just shows how dull and uninspiring Scottish football is, that i know more about womens Netball than i do about Scotland :):):):):)
  • edited November 2011
    4, australia v american samoa, just been on the news FFS!!!! LOL, cause A.S. just won there first ever game v Tonga!!

Would have guessed 1 as Hansen, he must be close!
  • edited November 2011
    4, australia v american samoa, just been on the news FFS!!!! LOL, cause A.S. just won there first ever game v Tonga!! Would have guessed 1 as Hansen, he must be close!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Hansen got very few caps for Scotland. In his time Alex McLeish and Willie Miller made a vvery good centre back partnership for club and country, as a result Hensen was resitricted to 25 caps.

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: footy quiz pt5 : Lol.... just shows how dull and uninspiring Scottish football is, that i know more about womens Netball than i do about Scotland :):):):):)
    Posted by splashies
    haha i looked it up and your correct with Leighton having 91 caps. :) suprises me.

I think the easiest way to explain this is, Scotland had a long spell with dodgey keepers, while having a strong outfield side.

Leighton and Gorum being two very good keepers, i think Brian Clough described Leighton as a rare breed, then Gorum crops up. Many people rekon the differance between Rangers and Leeds in 93 was Andy Gorum. Many regard him as the best ever Scottish keeper. Now ive found out Leighton did have an 8 year head start on International career and played 2 years after Gorum said he wouldnt play anymore for Scotland because he was dropped for WC98. Although i rekon (personal opinion) Gorum was a far better keeper.

Over the last 2 - 4 decades Scotland have probably produced 4 top quality keepers, which before Leighton was unheard of. for us to then produce 4 seems pretty hard. However i dont know the reasoning for this. Long may in contiune i rekon tho, as our outfield players are getting better again. I cant see us making WC2014 due o a tough qualifying group, but then again thats what we seem to be better against.

We'll Be comming down the road. :)
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: footy quiz pt5 : haha i looked it up and your correct with Leighton having 91 caps. :) suprises me. I think the easiest way to explain this is, Scotland had a long spell with dodgey keepers, while having a strong outfield side. Leighton and Gorum being two very good keepers, i think Brian Clough described Leighton as a rare breed, then Gorum crops up. Many people rekon the differance between Rangers and Leeds in 93 was Andy Gorum. Many regard him as the best ever Scottish keeper. Now ive found out Leighton did have an 8 year head start on International career and played 2 years after Gorum said he wouldnt play anymore for Scotland because he was dropped for WC98. Although i rekon (personal opinion) Gorum was a far better keeper. Over the last 2 - 4 decades Scotland have probably produced 4 top quality keepers, which before Leighton was unheard of. for us to then produce 4 seems pretty hard. However i dont know the reasoning for this. Long may in contiune i rekon tho, as our outfield players are getting better again. I cant see us making WC2014 due o a tough qualifying group, but then again thats what we seem to be better against. We'll Be comming down the road. :)
    Posted by The_Don90
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I can't stop laughing.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: footy quiz pt5 : HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I can't stop laughing.
    Posted by splashies
    i was stunned to see this stat tbh.
  • edited November 2011
    i have just been on wiki  alan hansen 26 caps
  • edited November 2011
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    i was only 1 out.
  • edited November 2011
    as we are talking scottish goalkeepers how george wood never went to spain in 82 is still a mystery to me as he was playing out of his skin for everton for that past year and arthur albiston should have gone as well there thats my rant
  • edited November 2011
    as we are talking scottish goalkeepers how george wood never went to spain in 82 is still a mystery to me as he was playing out of his skin for everton for that past year and arthur albiston should have gone as well there thats my rant
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    Jim Leighton mate. Then the 90s with the Leighton v Gorum both of them at the top of their games. I still curse the day Ian Durrant got injured. That guy was gonna be world class. Scotland and Rangers ruled out of a true gem of the game
  • edited November 2011
    Posted by FLASHJONNY
    am shocked!! just goes to show!!