You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Me playing badly!! Advice please

edited November 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
CROQUET Small blind   50.00 50.00 1710.00
jane666 Big blind   100.00 150.00 4195.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

Villain
Call   100.00 250.00 2040.00
SHESTE Fold        
spiderme Raise   400.00 650.00 1315.00
CROQUET Fold        
jane666 Fold        
Villain
Call   300.00 950.00 1740.00
Flop

• K
  • J

Villain
Check        
spiderme Bet   100.00 1050.00 1215.00
Villain
Call   100.00 1150.00 1640.00
Turn

Villain
Check        
spiderme Bet   300.00 1450.00 915.00
Villain
Call   300.00 1750.00 1340.00
River

Villain
Check        
spiderme Check        
Villain
Show
  • A

spiderme Muck
  • K
  • J

Villain
Win Straight to the Jack 1750.00   3090.00

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I guess I should have bet out a lot stronger post flop to take him off the hand, but likewise didnt want to scare him off, as I thought I was well ahead!!

Sigh!!
  • edited October 2009
    I think you've hit the nail bang on the head. For me, I'm shoving that flop personally. As he's called your pre flop raise I would be thinking that there's every chance he's also hit the flop so may well pay you off anyway.

If you're not shoving the flop then I think you should have done so on the turn
  • edited October 2009
    Shove/fold pre, you have 13BB's

With a limper I prob shove pre
  • edited October 2009

The flop bet size is horrible imo, compounded by no follow up on the turn when the turn card brings a flush draw and opens up all kinds of straights.

Thinking the hand through, villian has limp-called from UTG.  Without knowing too much about him/her we can more than likely rule out AA-JJ and for the most part AK.  You've hit your gin flop but from the villians range what are we going to get paid from that doesn't have us beat?

PP Tens downwards are not going to put another chip in the pot.  A weakly played AK, KQ, AJ or mabe even a fishy AQ/AT will play us off here plus do not need more cards to do so.  You have a high rainbow board and there is no point slow playing here.  By doing so (I don't count the 100 as a real bet with the pot size, it might as well have been a check) you have allowed redraws for pairs to hit sets and for gut shot draws for AQ/AT.

I'm either shoving on the flop or betting 500 depending on my knowledge of the villian.

• edited October 2009

Never shove pre-flop to a first position limper with 13 BB's in this situation. Whenever you see a first position limper, alarms bells should be ringing. It's the oldest trick in the book with AA.
    Your pre-flop raise was just fine and left you enough in the tank if he came over the top.

I think you know what the problem was - your flop bet was truly awful. You should have made it at least 700 to let him know you're pot-committed and deny him the odds to play on.

• edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Me playing badly!! Advice please:
    Never shove pre-flop to a first position limper with 13 BB's in this situation. Whenever you see a first position limper, alarms bells should be ringing. It's the oldest trick in the book with AA. Your pre-flop raise was just fine and left you enough in the tank if he came over the top. I think you know what the problem was - your flop bet was truly awful. You should have made it at least 700 to let him know you're pot-committed and deny him the odds to play on.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Sorry, so you're train of thought here is to open raise 1/3 of our stack, and then, when we get ridiculously lucky on the flop, shove top 2 on a dry rainbow board?

Disagree.

And obv his limp isn't polarized to just premiums as he had ATo

Obv sometimes he has aces but those big hands are such a small part of his range,and we have a ton of FE over a standard limpers range and sometimes he calls with like KT or 55 or something stupid like JTs (i've seen people do worse).

Push />Fold>>>>>>Open raise 1/3 of our stack imo

• edited October 2009
    Again, I agree with Bidbluster.
    The bet after the fop was totally wrong and should have been at least a pot size bet if not more. If I take the hand down there, I do not mind. If I get re-raised, then I am all-in. They were still two cards to come and anything can happen once they are shown.
  • edited October 2009
    The Sky HH confuses me, from what I can tell our Hero in this hand has 13BBs left AFTER he has raised to 400. If this is true then I'm definitely not open-shoving K-J w/ UTG limper for 17BBs. I just open-fold this.

If I'm wrong, and it's 13BBs (but it really looks like 17 as take the Villain's balance at the turn then add this to the total pot and you get the balance below the river action) then I flip a coin as to push or fold. It's a tricky one, especially as we have no reads on oppo. Definitely not raising though.

As played, plz plz plz shove flop if you must raise pre.

Oh, and raise to 325/350 rather than 400.
  • edited October 2009
    It's all about your bet sizes for me - even though I don't want to scare off my customer, I'd want to build the pot considering your opponents range that merit just flat calling pre flop (KQ, K10, QJ, Q10 etc) suits that board. Even if they've completely missed, most people won't fold on the flop when getting 10/1 on their money so you gave them chance to catch something on the turn - once the 7 came, I'm getting my whole stack in the middle and killing the hand!
  • edited November 2009
    The Sky HH confuses me, from what I can tell our Hero in this hand has 13BBs left AFTER he has raised to 400. If this is true then I'm definitely not open-shoving K-J w/ UTG limper for 17BBs. I just open-fold this. If I'm wrong, and it's 13BBs (but it really looks like 17 as take the Villain's balance at the turn then add this to the total pot and you get the balance below the river action) then I flip a coin as to push or fold. It's a tricky one, especially as we have no reads on oppo. Definitely not raising though. As played, plz plz plz shove flop if you must raise pre. Oh, and raise to 325/350 rather than 400.
    Posted by Kaidus
    you on 2p2?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Me playing badly!! Advice please : you on 2p2?
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    Yeah, I post over there as well. Mainly the Stud and POG section.
  • edited November 2009
    Here is where ive made alot of mistakes myself, i have learned from advice like said above make the bet big post-flop, and if he calls bet even bigger on the turn, make him pay for his draw