You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

live game was playing

edited November 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
I was playing a live game at my local snooker hall,its folded to me on the button i have Q10ss i raise to £1.50 blinds are 25p-50p, i get called from the big blind the flop comes Q25 to spades(dream flop imo?) he bets right into me,the pot is£3.75 and he goes and bets £8 pound, wat do i do here call or re-raise,i kno he finks im opening from the button with a wide range and i wasnt sure wat to do?? what are ur thoughts and i will post the outcome thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    It depends on the stack sizes.
    I'm shoving the lot in most cases although your opponent's overbet does intrigue me.
    I'd say that he's trying to buy the pot thinking that it looks like a flop that you would have missed.
    You're 50/50 even against AA.
    If he had the overpair, surely he would have re-raised pre-flop (difficult to be sure without knowing your opponents).
    If he flopped a set, would he have bet out like that?
    The only other hand that you're in any trouble against is a better Q and you're still better than 40% even if he has AsQc for instance.
  • edited October 2009
    Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

98,010  games     0.005 secs    19,602,000  games/sec

Board: 2s 5s Qh
    Dead:  

equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied    
    Hand 0:     62.674%      59.82%     02.85%              58629          2798.00   { QsTs }
    Hand 1:     37.326%      34.47%     02.85%              33785          2798.00   { QQ+, 55, 22, AsKs, AsQs, AsJs, AsTs, As9s, As8s, As7s, As6s, As5s, As4s, As3s, As2s, KsQs, QsJs, QsTs, Qs9s, Qs8s, Qs7s, Qs6s, Qs5s, Qs4s, Qs3s, Qs2s, 5s2s, AQo, KQo, Q2o+, 52o }

On that board, giving him a range of any queen, sets, suited spades with one paint, any two pair, you're ahead and should win 63% of the time, so I shove.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: live game was playing:
    Text results appended to pokerstove.txt   98,010  games     0.005 secs    19,602,000  games/sec Board: 2s 5s Qh Dead:       equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied     Hand 0:     62.674%      59.82%     02.85%              58629          2798.00   { QsTs } Hand 1:     37.326%      34.47%     02.85%              33785          2798.00   { QQ+, 55, 22, AsKs, AsQs, AsJs, AsTs, As9s, As8s, As7s, As6s, As5s, As4s, As3s, As2s, KsQs, QsJs, QsTs, Qs9s, Qs8s, Qs7s, Qs6s, Qs5s, Qs4s, Qs3s, Qs2s, 5s2s, AQo, KQo, Q2o+, 52o } On that board, giving him a range of any queen, sets, suited spades with one paint, any two pair, you're ahead and should win 63% of the time, so I shove.
    Posted by Kaidus
    You appear to have included a lot of hands (for Hand1) that are impossible, i.e. all the hands including Qs and/or Ts but I suspect that the result is the same.
  • edited October 2009
    Yeah I did notice that. Replace Qs with Js though and the result is the same.
  • edited October 2009
    mere novice,he was sitting in about £45 and i was sitting on around about£60 anyway i ended up raising him from £8 to £20 and he shoved for like £33 more so i ended up calling,he had KK funny way to play it i kno but that was him im not sure he had been playing long,so i was behind:( but ended up hitting the spade on the river... do u guys think this was a bad play??

p.s thanks for the feedback
  • edited October 2009
    mere novice,he was sitting in about £45 and i was sitting on around about£60 anyway i ended up raising him from £8 to £20 and he shoved for like £33 more so i ended up calling,he had KK funny way to play it i kno but that was him im not sure he had been playing long,so i was behind:( but ended up hitting the spade on the river... do u guys think this was a bad play?? p.s thanks for the feedback
    Posted by byrdy89
    No, not a bad play at all. You are exactly 50/50 to win after the flop so in a cash game it's definitely right to get it all-in on the flop for you. I'd have probably just shoved rather than raised but it's immaterial in this case.
    Yes, it was a strange way to play KK, I think. Initially, you'd guess he was trapping you but, if so, you'd think that he'd check raise you on that flop rather than betting out. As you say, maybe he was inexperienced and was just glad to see no ace on the flop and got over-excited.
  • edited October 2009
    Interesting hand. I always feel that if I have 15+ outs I am all over that pot. Personally I wouldn't have played it any differently to the way it went down and yes, funny way to play KK. Sneaky guy...
  • edited October 2009
    Cheers for the feedback guys, i can say the least he was not a happy bunny thats for surelol
  • edited October 2009
    Yes played it very well all round m8... Nice 3x raise on button with a marginal hand, (the only mistake in the hand was the BB flatting) once that flop has come down your not going to fold IMO... ok, at that particular time you were behind, but with roughly 1,000,000 outs (give or take a few) get it all in and hope the poker gods shine on you.

If you get the same situation again, do the same :D
  • edited October 2009
    Cheers for the feedback guys, i can say the least he was not a happy bunny thats for surelol
    Posted by byrdy89
    You should have told him he has no right to feel unhappy when he played KK like he did
  • edited October 2009
    Just because we're ahead in the hand vs his range doesn't mean we shove.

That equity is vs his betting range, not his range for calling a shove.

Obv raising is +EV, but since we never get action from a weaker made hand, and very rarely from a worse draw, I flat this all day.
  • edited October 2009

flatting on the flop or getting it all in on the flop wors both ways i fink....? because wat ever happens on the turn my hand is still to strong jsut to keep flatting and i want to make maximum walue of my draw if i get there..?

• edited October 2009
    Just because we're ahead in the hand vs his range doesn't mean we shove. That equity is vs his betting range, not his range for calling a shove. Obv raising is +EV, but since we never get action from a weaker made hand, and very rarely from a worse draw, I flat this all day.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    Flatting it means that we may well lose opportunities on the turn.
    If our card doesn't come and our opponent goes all-in, we no longer have the odds to call (with one card to come) for a 2/1 shot.
    If our card does come (Q or spade) we quite likely lose our customer who probably put us on a Q and/or a flush draw when we just call the flop bet.
  • edited November 2009
    U WON THATS ALL THAT MATTERS