You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weird 5x raise deep in tournament

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
This hand is from late in Mini Open last night 400 odd runners and I am 8/14 i think. Standard table raise has been 2x-3x. Have old note on villian that he is quite loose, but that might be out of date. On this table he hasn't done anything out of oridnary, haven't noticed his normal raise size only seen him re-raise all in.

Basically as soon as I saw 5x raise I smelt a rat but I've got AQ and about 20 bb's so I jam cause I know/think it's the right thing to do.

Question is though are people usually super strong at this point of a tourney when they do funny over-raises and should I be going with gut and folding?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
mattless Small blind  1000.00 1000.00 37893.78
poker75757 Big blind  2000.00 3000.00 101496.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

Deldog Raise  10000.00 13000.00 38457.25
TheAceOne Fold     
mattless All-in  37893.78 50893.78 0.00
poker75757 Fold     
Deldog Call  28893.78 79787.56 9563.47
mattless Show
  • Q
  • A

Deldog Show
  • A
  • A

Flop

• K

Turn

River

Deldog Win Two Pairs, Aces and 6s 79787.56

Comments

• edited November 2011
    It's such an awful raise basically saying he can't fold but that's terribad as he needs someone to have a hand which most times they won't, but you're 4-handed so imo you can't fold just a sick cooler.
  • edited November 2011
    i dunno y u didnt 2.5 x raise it thats the norm so say 5.5 k then u can get away from a shove with your raise so big u commited yourself dnt liek your raise size 
  • edited November 2011
    Funny thing really here matless mate , i HATE AQ but been told that i should play it just as you DID at this stage of a tourny by many players on the forum , i also keep runnin into superior hands as well and goin out after all of the hard work gettin this deep an an mtt.

Quite simply i have now gone back to foldin it.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Weird 5x raise deep in tournament:
    i dunno y u didnt 2.5 x raise it thats the norm so say 5.5 k then u can get away from a shove with your raise so big u commited yourself dnt liek your raise size 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I wasn't original raiser. I re-raised all in. Question is when villian 5x raises are they usually huge?
  • edited November 2011
    oh yeah soz silly me lol it depends on villain is hes been playing tight or not for me if hes raising alot playing loose i would shove all in like u have but if hes been playing tight and not playing many hands i would often fold and find a better spot player dependent for me pal 
  • edited November 2011
    Seems pretty standard to me.  We can take a different if he opens smaller.  But I likely shove here all day long.

In answer to Q about bet sizing in late stages of tourney, 2.2x is getting very standard.  The 5x cant be read as a sign of strength as a rule here.  I also would likely read it other way most of time.

UL bud