You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Exit hand from £3k bounty

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all,

I am still relatively new to poker, I mainly play DYM's after reading JohnConnors excellent blog on them.  However as I had the evening free decided to play the 3k bounty hunter.  Below hand is how I exited the tournament and I am looking for advice.  Basically this player had been going all in pre-flop a high percentage of the time, and revealing trash like q4 off suit etc, I called twice once with pocket 8s, and the other with pocket 10's and lost both races.  Shortly after, this hand came up. I am really annoyed with myself as I could have easily laddered another two positions for approximately another £60.  However I didn't really give him any credit for his hand, and thought my reraise to 18k might have bullied him off of the hand, and if not I would just need to hit a 10, j q, or k on the turn and flop to improve my hand.  Was this a risk worth taking?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancerachae1986Small blind 2000.002000.0028835.04u_sud_foldBig blind 4000.006000.0056729.92 Your hole cardsQK   stretch83Raise 8000.0014000.0027563.81marengoFold    lufcAGTFold    rachae1986Fold    u_sud_foldCall 4000.0018000.0052729.92Flop  98J   u_sud_foldCheck    stretch83Bet 9000.0027000.0018563.81u_sud_foldRaise 18000.0045000.0034729.92stretch83All-in 18563.8163563.810.00u_sud_foldRaise 19127.6282691.4315602.30u_sud_foldUnmatched bet 9563.8173127.6225166.11u_sud_foldShowJQ   stretch83ShowQK   Turn  4   River  4   u_sud_foldWinTwo Pairs, Jacks and 4s73127.62 98293.73

Comments

• edited November 2011
    no he min raises you on the flop and when u shoves its only 563.81 more to call in2 a pot of 63563 hes never folding top pair in this spot.

imo you should just shove pre flop with your stack you only have roughly 7bbs get it in and hope they fold and if they call hope your not dominated hope for a race and double up lol.
  • edited November 2011
    Congrats on presumably cashing, but that's a pretty bad way to go out. As a general rule, when you have less than 10 big blinds, you've got 2 plays, all in and fold. That's only a guideline, as with everything in poker, it depends on the circumstances.

Personally, I think you should open shove all in pre-flop there. You've got less than 10 big blinds and KQ, just get it in, pick the blinds up, and if you get called, you'll usually be no worse than 60/40, and in this case you would've been a massive favourite pre-flop. If you go out doing this with <10BB, you can't have any complaints, that's just poker.

As played, that's a pretty awful flop for you, you've got to know you're behind, as the really really awful hands he could have he probably folds pre, anything playable has etiher given him a pair which is now beating you, or was already beating you pre-flop anyway.

---

The way you've played it pre-flop means you've got 2 choices on the flop:

1) Bet all-in, at least giving you some fold equity. Betting half pot there is bad, because as we can see, you're never folding to a re-raise when he sets you all in, so you might as well just shove all in and at least then you're forcing him to maybe consider folding hands like bottom pair, which are beating you.
    2) Check behind - See a turn card, and try to hit a 10 or king, check/fold if you miss. As stated before, you're not beating anything that he's calling with there, he's giving you a free card. If you don't hit your draw and check/fold, 7BB isn't great, but it's not the end of the world either.

I honestly don't know how to play it after the flop because I'm never putting myself in that spot in the first place. Based on your description of the opponent and texture of the flop meaning he's almost certainly got a piece of it or was beating me already, I'd probably hope to improve and just check/fold if I don't hit anything. 

However there's one thing I'm not doing, and that's betting half the pot. That, along with your bet pre-flop min raise would suggest to me that you've got a hand that you don't really want to shove with - i.e. you've missed the flop. The way you've played it would make me think you have an ace with a weak kicker most of the time. The bet size completely gives your hand strength away. The only time I'd suggest making that bet is when you've actually got a really strong hand and want to make your opponent think the complete opposite.
  • edited November 2011
    Easy shove preflop, don't play poker with <10 bigs enit.
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
    Hi all,

Thank you for the replies, can't believe that I played this hand so badly .  It's so frustrating that I didn't go All-in pre, I would have in a DYM without a 2nd thought. I know it was an awful way to go out, and even though I took £38.19 in bounties and £36 in finishing 9th I felt completely disgusted with myself for my bad play.  If I had simply folded every hand from that moment on I would have collected £75, and if I had gone all-in pre at least I wouldn't feel like a complete tool.

I am not trying to make excuses here, but I had never really been in this position in a tournament before.  I played the whole thing very aggresively from the start, and was chip leader of there abouts for a lot of the first few hours.  I think I got to a point when I realised, "bloody hell, I have a chance of actually final tabling her" and bottled it.

• edited November 2011
    shove pre, shove flop
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Exit hand from £3k bounty:
    Congrats on presumably cashing, but that's a pretty bad way to go out. As a general rule, when you have less than 10 big blinds, you've got 2 plays, all in and fold. That's only a guideline, as with everything in poker, it depends on the circumstances. Personally, I think you should open shove all in pre-flop there. You've got less than 10 big blinds and KQ, just get it in, pick the blinds up, and if you get called, you'll usually be no worse than 60/40, and in this case you would've been a massive favourite pre-flop. If you go out doing this with <10BB, you can't have any complaints, that's just poker. As played, that's a pretty awful flop for you, you've got to know you're behind, as the really really awful hands he could have he probably folds pre, anything playable has etiher given him a pair which is now beating you, or was already beating you pre-flop anyway. --- The way you've played it pre-flop means you've got 2 choices on the flop: 1) Bet all-in, at least giving you some fold equity. Betting half pot there is bad, because as we can see, you're never folding to a re-raise when he sets you all in, so you might as well just shove all in and at least then you're forcing him to maybe consider folding hands like bottom pair, which are beating you. 2) Check behind - See a turn card, and try to hit a 10 or king, check/fold if you miss. As stated before, you're not beating anything that he's calling with there, he's giving you a free card. If you don't hit your draw and check/fold, 7BB isn't great, but it's not the end of the world either. I honestly don't know how to play it after the flop because I'm never putting myself in that spot in the first place. Based on your description of the opponent and texture of the flop meaning he's almost certainly got a piece of it or was beating me already, I'd probably hope to improve and just check/fold if I don't hit anything.  However there's one thing I'm not doing, and that's betting half the pot. That, along with your bet pre-flop min raise would suggest to me that you've got a hand that you don't really want to shove with - i.e. you've missed the flop. The way you've played it would make me think you have an ace with a weak kicker most of the time. The bet size completely gives your hand strength away. The only time I'd suggest making that bet is when you've actually got a really strong hand and want to make your opponent think the complete opposite.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Thanks Pingu,

I really appreciate the feed back, trust me to play the hand in the worst way possible, lol.
    p.s really enjoyed the blog post.
  • edited November 2011
    Hi all, Thank you for the replies, can't believe that I played this hand so badly .  It's so frustrating that I didn't go All-in pre, I would have in a DYM without a 2nd thought. I know it was an awful way to go out, and even though I took £38.19 in bounties and £36 in finishing 9th I felt completely disgusted with myself for my bad play.  If I had simply folded every hand from that moment on I would have collected £75, and if I had gone all-in pre at least I wouldn't feel like a complete tool. I am not trying to make excuses here, but I had never really been in this position in a tournament before.  I played the whole thing very aggresively from the start, and was chip leader of there abouts for a lot of the first few hours.  I think I got to a point when I realised, "bloody hell, I have a chance of actually final tabling her" and bottled it.  
    Posted by stretch83
    imo ure last sentence says it all , with more experience behind you ie you will be in this position again alot of times then you will know what to do.

ul on this occasion but wp for gettin this far and cashing.xx
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Exit hand from £3k bounty : imo ure last sentence says it all , with more experience behind you ie you will be in this position again alot of times then you will know what to do. ul on this occasion but wp for gettin this far and cashing.xx
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Thanks debdobs