You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Monochrome boards

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Playing cash games 100BBs deep how scared should you be of the flush on a monochrome board? Say you have AdQs out of possition against one player and the flop comes Qh9h4h. It is more profitable over time to just play as normal with top pair top kicker and bet out on the flop or play for pot control and check? Also should you be betting 3/4 pot to prevent the draw if they have one heart?

Just seems so unlikely that they have the flush and we don't want to give them the chance to represent the flush if we show weekness. Granted they will have the flush every now and again but most times they don't and betting also means that they might put us on the flush?

Just wondering how everyone else plays these situations?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Betting 3/4 of pot wont get somebody drawing away thats just building the pot for them :/
  • edited November 2011
    You really have to be careful , how many times do you see 3 of the same suit on the flop ?? its actually pretty regular , ive just come out of a tourny and 3 times in a row this was flopping on several occasions.

Also to say its rare to flop a flush is a bit naive imo , as stated above the more regular you see this flop then you have to consider it could hit an oppo more often than you may give credit to.
  • edited November 2011
    When a flop comes 3 to the same suit, if your oppo was playing any 2 cards, the chance they have flopped the flush would be about 1 in 25, factor in the chance that people will play suited cards more regularly then unsuited, it's not really that unlikely.

I would prob raise 3/4ish to make people pay when they are drawing but be very wary of a reraise.
  • edited November 2011
    I've left this thread alone hoping sum1 wud ask this question for me, but obv no1 has, so at the risk of looking stupid.....

..........Aren't they called mono'tone' boards..... ???
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Monochrome boards:
    I've left this thread alone hoping sum1 wud ask this question for me, but obv no1 has, so at the risk of looking stupid..... ..........Aren't they called mono'tone' boards..... ???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Shu'up ;)
  • edited November 2011
    ermmmmmmm y dont ya just say a all suited flop trying to be clever with the monocone whatever it is lol 
  • edited November 2011
    Just make standard 3/4 pot bet and if they raise decide if it's a semi-bluff with draw or an actual hand. If you have previous notes that they play big hands strong on flop then you can get away easily if you don't then it's more tricky especially OOP.

It also depends on the level as at NL4 TPTK regardless of a monotone board is usually the nuts even 100bb deep
  • edited November 2011
    I've left this thread alone hoping sum1 wud ask this question for me, but obv no1 has, so at the risk of looking stupid..... ..........Aren't they called mono'tone' boards..... ???
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Er no. ;o)

"Tone" refers to sound.

Monochrome largely refers to shades of grey mainly, you're obv. not old enough to remember, but our black and white tv's were called monochrome tv's.

Technically, I think monochrome refers to a picture made up of any one single shade of colour.

Z.
  • edited November 2011
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1
  • edited November 2011
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    yup they are called monotone or monochrome boards both mean same thing when regarding to all same suit flops and not black and white tv's
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Monochrome boards : yup they are called monotone or monochrome boards both mean same thing when regarding to all same suit flops and not black and white tv's
    Posted by delaney09
    You are of course right, they are called monotone boards, but just pointing out that it is in fact, the wrong word.

Probably something to do with the American element of poker in the George Bush "misunderestimation" sense.