You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Frenzy Sats

I couldn't understand the strategy for frenzy sats, then I realised there isn't one. It's just a craps shoot to see who will buy-in the most times until the rebuy period ends. I am not complaining as it means more seats in the Main Event,but, there does need to be a rethink on how the structure plays out. Towards the end you can be chip leader but need to rebuy two hands later after someone gets lucky with any two. Hope Sky will look into this as these have put me off playing sats for any tournament. Two Sundays in a row I've spent enough in sats to have bought in to the Primo yet bubbled the sats both weeks and missed out. Why not have some more sensible sats at that kind of price and then have Russian Roulette sats for the nutters who want to fluke their way into an event, rather than use skill to get there. Hope this doesn't come across as sour grapes its just a genuine gripe with the structure.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Frenzy Sats:
    I couldn't understand the strategy for frenzy sats, then I realised there isn't one. It's just a craps shoot to see who will buy-in the most times until the rebuy period ends. I am not complaining as it means more seats in the Main Event,but, there does need to be a rethink on how the structure plays out. Towards the end you can be chip leader but need to rebuy two hands later after someone gets lucky with any two. Hope Sky will look into this as these have put me off playing sats for any tournament. Two Sundays in a row I've spent enough in sats to have bought in to the Primo yet bubbled the sats both weeks and missed out. Why not have some more sensible sats at that kind of price and then have Russian Roulette sats for the nutters who want to fluke their way into an event, rather than use skill to get there. Hope this doesn't come across as sour grapes its just a genuine gripe with the structure.
    Posted by shaun84
    i vote no if you dont like them
    dont play them
  • edited November 2011
    I voted "Don't care".

I entered one, never again, not my thing. I'd rather play a semi for a tournament as there's more opportunity to build a stack and outplay people, rather than going all in and relying on luck a lot more. Also, if I can't win a seat in a "semi" satellite in 2 or 3 attempts, what chance do I have of having an edge against people who have bought in direct, or even other satellite entries? 

However, if people want to enter them for a cheap shot at getting into a big event, they're brilliant. I wouldn't enter them myself but can understand why people would.

Xmas UKOPS main event is a £220 buy-in. Assuming the person entering has fairly good bankroll management and won't spend more than 5% of their bankroll on 1 tournament, they need £4,400 in their bankroll. I'd guess that a pretty large percentage of Sky Poker players don't have that sort of money in their bankroll (I'd be happy with £440, never mind £4,400, lol) - For them, the frenzy satellites are probably the only way of getting into such a big tournament cheaply and within their bankroll. 

I wouldn't quite say they're "bingo", as there is still some skill in picking the right range of hands to go all in with and call with. However, they do take away a lot of your edge if you're against weaker players, to the point where for some players, it's probably better value to enter a semi for an event with a better structure so they can use that edge to their advantage, as opposed to entering a frenzy and having massive amounts of variance.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Frenzy Sats:
    In Response to Frenzy Sats : i vote no if you dont like them dont play them
    Posted by Ludovician
  • edited December 2011

There is a strategy for everything to make it +EV - so how should we play the frenzies? I´m 2/4 in them at the moment but I am totally aware that the variance is ultra-huge. So those of you (hi DOHHHHHHH etc) who think further than saying it´s a crapshoot - what do you think it is? It cannot be about playing premium hands - so must be about when to enter the pot all-in.

Ideas I´ve had as a core strategy but been unable (=unwilling to spend the money finding out) to decide between.

1. Play ok hands & just keep buying in until the field dies away
    2. Only enter multi-way pots

3. Only enter hands when you are already pot committed
    4 ?

Thoughts on a postcard please.......

• edited December 2011
    think iv played in 6, won a seat in 3 so im quiet happy with them..the only 1 i dont like is the roller frenzys as you need sooo  many rebuys made to get enough seats worth playing it for. as i think was said before ' if you dont like , dont play' there is semi into most event with slower blinds, more seats and still a good prise.
  • edited January 2012
    AS long as there is enough runners at the start to generate maybe 6 to 10 seats there is definately a strategy .
    I am not going to say what it is for obvious reasons but have noticed 3 or 4 regs are playing these the same way and getting pretty consistant results.