You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to get paid in tough spots? NL4

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
A couple of spots on NL4 tables where I'm wondering how I could've got some value for my hand...

First one, I pick up aces and raise to 3x on the button, SB and limper call. I hit a set on the flop which I was actually quite annoyed with as there's only 1 ace left out there, and ace on the board scares people off if they've got a queen so it's pretty tough for me to get paid anything here. My hand is almost too big. Also doesn't help that the table was pretty tight and passive by NL4 standards either - even some people's 8p bets into pots of 50p on the flop were getting through! Therefore, I tried to bet stupidly small, and hope that someone might reraise me because I'm "weak", especially as I'd been betting 1/2 pot or 3/4 pot most of the time and not getting any interest.

In hindsight, I've played it really badly because I've given him the odds to hit a flush or even a gutshot with implied odds if he's drawing to that, so should've probably bet a lot bigger and maybe got paid by someone with a draw on the flop and the turn, but I didn't want to lose my customer either. Need help with bet sizing here, because I don't know how I'm supposed to get paid?

Hand History #443119352 (18:57 28/11/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
fashoSit out    
zoroSmall blind £0.02£0.02£2.00
MacLikBig blind £0.04£0.06£1.23
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

A00DGMCall £0.04£0.10£1.34
boomboo164Fold    
EvilPinguRaise £0.12£0.22£4.24
zoroCall £0.10£0.32£1.90
MacLikFold    
A00DGMCall £0.08£0.40£1.26
Flop

• Q
  • A

zoroCheck    
A00DGMCheck    
EvilPinguBet £0.04£0.44£4.20
zoroFold    
A00DGMCall £0.04£0.48£1.22
Turn

A00DGMCheck    
EvilPinguBet £0.12£0.60£4.08
A00DGMCall £0.12£0.72£1.10
River

• Q

A00DGMCheck    
EvilPinguBet £0.20£0.92£3.88
A00DGMFold    
EvilPinguMuck    
EvilPinguWin £0.66 £4.54
EvilPinguReturn £0.20£0.06£4.74

Second one quite possibly the most standard hand ever seen in the poker clinic - SB vs. BB, folded around to me and I've got AK in the SB. The only notes I have on the big blind is that he plays 8 or 9 tables at once, so he's probably just playing like a robot. My standard raise is 16-20p. I was hoping he might have picked up on this, and tried raising to 12p instead to make it look like I was just trying to pinch his big blind, but to no avail. Was I destined to only pick up the big blind here, or is there some other way I could've played this (Overbet or maybe even limp?) to try and get some action from the other guy?

Hand History #443120860 (19:00 28/11/2011)

<td style="padding-top:7px;padding-right:5px;padding-bottom:7px;padding-left:5px;color:#666666;vertical-align:middle;font-family:verdana;text-align:left;font-size:0.9em;border-width:1
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
EvilPinguSmall blind £0.02£0.02£4.68
fashoBig blind £0.04£0.06£1.36
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

Comments

• edited November 2011
    BET BIG, end of thread.
  • edited November 2011
    Bet.....

At least twice as much in both hands pre flop.

10x as much on the flop. (POT)

And 4x as much on the river.  (POT)

-----------------------------------------

"Don't be worried about losing your customer!!!"

• edited November 2011
    There's an interesting section of Harrington on Cash games where he goes through the two different stratergies when you flop a monster. The argument basically goes like this if you bet big and your opponent folds 80% of the time then you stack them 20% of the time, if you slow-play then he folds 20% of the time but the pots you win 80% of the time are so much smaller that over time you are actually still losing value.

Obviously if you have AA and the flop is AA2 rainbow then you can slow play but most times if you flop a house or top set or nut flush you should keep betting and keep betting big.
  • edited November 2011

open at least 3BB+ 1 per limper

bet flop big , bet turn big, bet river big in hand 1. 1 bet being called makes you more than you make playing this way. Sometimes no one else has a hand and you wont get paid, thats poker

• edited November 2011
    Bet big , then bigger , then bigger and finally bigger
  • edited November 2011
    lol  u bet 4 p on th 1st when u raised to 12p preflop u have got to bet bigger evil pingu a lil tip for u on bottom of screen u got a 3/4 bet u cant go 2 far wron with that pal gd luck 
  • edited November 2011
    junglegeek if you hit your flop dnt matter about opponent just bet even if u hit massive just bet u want to get paid for each street not missing value if villain folds no oss u win the pot but by checking u lose a street of value ALWAYS BET YOUR HANDS U HIT