You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

did i play this bad? NL4

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Swog Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.88
dispol Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £8.64
 Your hole cards
  • J

nibla Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.40
5c0u53 Call  £0.04 £0.14 £1.57
Swog Call  £0.02 £0.16 £3.86
dispol Raise  £0.16 £0.32 £8.48
nibla Call  £0.16 £0.48 £4.24
5c0u53 Call  £0.16 £0.64 £1.41
Swog Call  £0.16 £0.80 £3.70
Flop

• J

Swog Check     
dispol Bet  £0.24 £1.04 £8.24
nibla Call  £0.24 £1.28 £4.00
5c0u53 Call  £0.24 £1.52 £1.17
Swog Raise  £1.12 £2.64 £2.58
dispol All-in  £8.24 £10.88 £0.00
nibla Fold     
5c0u53 Fold     
Swog All-in  £2.58 £13.46 £0.00
dispol Unmatched bet  £4.78 £8.68 £4.78
Swog Show
  • J

dispol Show
  • J
  • K

Turn

• K

River

• K

dispol Win Full House, Kings and Jacks £8.02

Comments

• edited November 2011
    yeah fold preflop u should never call a raise with j 6 here that mistake has cost u all your chips 
  • edited November 2011
    Fold pre flop, making up is ok but not with J6 suited that needs to hit two pair/trips.flush draws to be any good.

Flop is fine and standard bad beat yaaaaaawn.
  • edited November 2011
    I dont mind the call for a cheap flop as long as you look for the flush, once the pot was raised your hand should have been in the muck. J6 in any position is a big NO NO at 4nl!
  • edited November 2011
    Not really Swog, I think you played the hand reasonably well. Calling a raise as you had money in pot only 2pence but see it cheaply. Great flop for you which you rep and get it in good while you are ahead. When dispol shoved you expect to see a set or aces or kings. He sucked out on you but bear it in mind next time. Playing cash is difficult but Durr and brunson can play these hands. When your skill is greater call with J6 suited. Suited connectors are much better when you are in the blinds, not suited non connectors ... Danny
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: did i play this bad? NL4:
    Not really Swog, I think you played the hand reasonably well. Calling a raise as you had money in pot only 2pence but see it cheaply. Great flop for you which you rep and get it in good while you are ahead. When dispol shoved you expect to see a set or aces or kings. He sucked out on you but bear it in mind next time. Playing cash is difficult but Durr and brunson can play these hands. When your skill is greater call with J6 suited. Suited connectors are much better when you are in the blinds, not suited non connectors ... Danny
    Posted by mcglynn07
    I cant see how you can see a pot cheaply by calling a raise, seeing the pot cheaply is 1bb but once the raise came into play with J rag suited its muck time! Once Swog had seen the flop his fate was sealed with 2 pair he had to think he was ahead, its his weak kicker that got him into trouble and he could not play it any different apart from folding preflop which he should have done!! 
  • edited November 2011
    yer easy fold pre. flop plays itself.
  • edited November 2011
    Posted by mcglynn07
    Maybe, but they might adjust their games quite dramatically if they played 4NL against unknowns, some of whom are shallow stacked
  • edited November 2011
    I can understand your play in this hand. Trying to see a flop for 2p in the small blind is fair enough, because with that many opponents, I'd be confident that if I hit 2 pair or a flush, one of my opponents at least has some sort of hand to pay me off with. I fold to the raise though.

As played, unlucky, but it's a fold pre IMO.
  • edited November 2011
    At NL4 I would muck J6s from the small blind even if all five players before me had limped! It's a horrible hand and at NL4 you have no fold equity. Even if you hit a flush it is a jack high flush and easily beaten in a six way pot.

There's the big blind to worry about. It's not uncommon at NL4 to see a family pot raised by the big blind to 28p and everyone else calls the raise... Then what? you are closing the action and it's 24p to call getting almost 6:1 but your hand is still rubbish.

You cannot out play people at NL4, you can only wait for value hands, raise for value and get called. J6s is not a value hand.

OP once you make top two pair you are correct to raise and your raise size is just the right size to give the illusion to your opponent that you might fold if he shoves (which is what we want to happen). You played if fine after the flop and it was a bad beat. But just don't play these hands. If you are playing these hands because you want action and are getting board then play more tables at once
  • edited November 2011
    At NL4 I would muck J6s from the small blind even if all five players before me had limped! It's a horrible hand and at NL4 you have no fold equity. Even if you hit a flush it is a jack high flush and easily beaten in a six way pot. There's the big blind to worry about. It's not uncommon at NL4 to see a family pot raised by the big blind to 28p and everyone else calls the raise... Then what? you are closing the action and it's 24p to call getting almost 6:1 but your hand is still rubbish. You cannot out play people at NL4, you can only wait for value hands, raise for value and get called. J6s is not a value hand. OP once you make top two pair you are correct to raise and your raise size is just the right size to give the illusion to your opponent that you might fold if he shoves (which is what we want to happen). You played if fine after the flop and it was a bad beat. But just don't play these hands. If you are playing these hands because you want action and are getting board then play more tables at once
    Posted by jugglegeek
    +1 to this, if you are in ANY way playing NL4 properly you should have ticked the check/fold button the second you saw your hand here and got ready for the next hand on a different table.
  • edited November 2011
    put it this way if u was playing £5/£10 and ure small blind with j 6 and every 1 calls '£10 altho this never hapens just saying would u call a extra £5 with j 6 suited i dnt think u would the stakes should not make a difference this is a fold whatever the stakes are this kind of hand just gets u in trouble say flop is jack high are u really loving it its just a fold and next hand please 
  • edited November 2011
    Thank you for your replies guys, i was unsure whether i made the right call pre-flop i was ready to instantly muck my weak holding, but due to every player 'coming along for the ride' after the raise i felt i was 'priced in'.

After that i think i played it well, which has been stated. Most likely being ahead, i felt it was time to get the money in.
  • edited November 2011
    Nothin wrong with post flop play BUT as all have said its a easy fold pre.
  • edited November 2011
    Thanks for the help on this one, i no longer play any old suited cards ;)
  • edited November 2011
    Fold pre flop.
    So many times here you will hit a flush but get stacked by a higher flush. They are dangerous cards and usually cost you more in the long run calling with them pre flop