You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3-betting

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Playing the low stakes cash games it seems that I only 3-bet with about 5 hands for value (AA,KK,QQ,AKs,AKo) hopeing for a 4-bet and a chance to get it all in pre. However I'm starting to think that if a player at NL10 (where I am now) starts paying the slightest bit of attention then I will become easily exploited. Players could call my 3-bets with small pairs and suited connectors knowing that I only have either a big pair or AK and kill me when they hit.

The solution to this seems to me that I need to 3-bet more often when I'm in possition but what hands should I be doing this with? Should I just extend my range and start 3-betting with medium aces and 99+ or should I be going for connected hands that have aces-cracking properties like JTs and 75s since they are less easily dominated by a typical opening range?

We are talking about in possition 3-bets here by the way. Like I'm on the button with 89s and UTG+1 raises. Should I 3-bet here or just call? Obviously 3-betting out of possition with hands like this is going to be bad. I just feel like I should be 3-betting more as I start playing better players

Comments

• edited November 2011
    If your going to 3 bet in position i dont really like doing it with hands that have value such a suited connectors or small pairs, because if we get 4 bet it puts us in a horrible spot and weve effectively turned our hand into a bluff.

At 10nl i dont think players usually pay much attention to what your 3 betting ranges are so just keep doing it with your big hands, no need to get fancy really.

Hope this helps.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: 3-betting:
    If your going to 3 bet in position i dont really like doing it with hands that have value such a suited connectors or small pairs, because if we get 4 bet it puts us in a horrible spot and weve effectively turned our hand into a bluff. At 10nl i dont think players usually pay much attention to what your 3 betting ranges are so just keep doing it with your big hands, no need to get fancy really. Hope this helps.
    Posted by BigHawk89

I agree. In the opening post you refer to suited connectors having 'aces cracking potential'.  They have no aces cracking potential if you re-open the betting pre and get 4 bet (which aces will do oop most of the time) cause you have to fold.  + they have too much value to need to turn them into a bluff.