You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

BRM question

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Just looking for some BRM advice.
If you use the 5% bankroll guide, does this mean you should only have 5% of your roll in play at any one time? I currently two-table at NL8, so going by the 5% guide, I should have at least £320 to play at this level and need £400 to step up to NL10?
Just wondered what BRM other players use as this seems very conservative and unrealistic to me.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    5% per table...

if you get to a point where you want to make poker a significant side income to you then you should probably have  <2% per table
  • edited December 2011
    if ur only playing cash then i would recommend between 80-100 buy-ins for that level. so for the NL8 i would say you need between £640-£800. this may seem conservative but it is the best way to ensure not going broke. if you consider yourself to be a better than average player, then you should have no problems working your way through the micro stakes. If you dont have this kind of money in your roll already, then i recommend giving DYM a shot, therefore allowing yourself more room when it comes to buy-ins. between 20-40 buy-ins would more than suffice to build your roll playing DYM as long as you play them correctly. Check out the blog by johnconnor in general poker chat. its very good
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: BRM question:
    if ur only playing cash then i would recommend between 80-100 buy-ins for that level. so for the NL8 i would say you need between £640-£800. this may seem conservative but it is the best way to ensure not going broke. if you consider yourself to be a better than average player, then you should have no problems working your way through the micro stakes. If you dont have this kind of money in your roll already, then i recommend giving DYM a shot, therefore allowing yourself more room when it comes to buy-ins. between 20-40 buy-ins would more than suffice to build your roll playing DYM as long as you play them correctly. Check out the blog by johnconnor in general poker chat. its very good
    Posted by ricky1984
    Really, seems way ott to me. 30-40BI is fine
  • edited December 2011
    my question is then if u depodit £20 basically your not even rolled enough to play 4nl because u only have 5 buy ins so what would u do what is the best way to make money if u start with £20  £1.10 tourneys or low buy in dyms ? 
  • edited December 2011
    If ure succesful at any given level then 20 buy ins is ok , as long as ure willing to step DOWN a level if you dip down to say 15 buy ins.
  • edited December 2011
    5% per table if you beat the level

1-3% if it's a new level

1-2% if your grinding that level

--

I play between 1-3% in general, pays to be a BR nit

--

5% on one table is fine if your taking a shot at the next level 
    note: don't multi table a new level

• edited December 2011
    IMO its better to be over rolled for the stake you are playing. When moving up i dont think you should do it according to how many BIs you have for that level, move up when you are ready to do so.

A good tip would be to have a session of 1 or 2 tabling NL10 see how it goes.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: BRM question:
    my question is then if u depodit £20 basically your not even rolled enough to play 4nl because u only have 5 buy ins so what would u do what is the best way to make money if u start with £20  £1.10 tourneys or low buy in dyms ? 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    With £20 deposit, then imo ur best bet is to grind away in the DYM. its the best way to avoid big swings, just sit back and enjoy everybody else going to war. it is a long process at first playing low money DYM's, but if u aint got the patience, then you shouldnt be playing poker
  • edited December 2011
    i got more then 20 i deposited 20 last week now got 3 figures i was just asking a question i found when i deposite my money i was doing the £2.20 rebuy 1s and £1.10 deeepstack and loved the £3.30 velocity at 12.30 pm won that 3 days running before on a heater of lat but intresting to know what other people would do with £20 bankroll