You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Three and Four Betting...

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic

I think I've come to terms with the fundamentals of poker, such as starting hands, position, table selection, bet sizing etc. so am thinking maybe its time to start adding to my knowledge.

I might be wrong and you might think I should be concentrating on something else first, but I've noticed lately that I almost never re-raise! Of course I'm not being totally dumb and if I get Aces or Kings I'm beeming ear to ear and banging away on the raise button trying to get it all-in pre, but apart from raising limpers pre, its  bet, call, or fold.

So, in what situations should I be looking to get more aggressive??

Thanks,

Z. 

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Well it kinda depends on what type of game you're playing (MTTs/Cah etc) and on the opponent but I imagine you're talking about 4NL and if that's the case I'd say reraise pre with AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK.  Post flop, I'd say re-raise with virtually all your strong hands against the majority of players at this level, so TPTK, 2 pr, a set/trips, straight, flush, if you think you're ahead, get the chips in.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Three and Four Betting...:
    Well it kinda depends on what type of game you're playing (MTTs/Cah etc) and on the opponent but I imagine you're talking about 4NL and if that's the case I'd say reraise pre with AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK.  Post flop, I'd say re-raise with virtually all your strong hands against the majority of players at this level, so TPTK, 2 pr, a set/trips, straight, flush, if you think you're ahead, get the chips in.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks lambert that sounds simple enough!

Oh and yeah sorry about that slight omission.....I only play cash 4nl, so far.

Cheers dude,

Z.
  • edited December 2011
    At NL4, you only need to be aggressive with your strong hands. At this level, you dont need to get creative pre with average hands, cos u will be more than likely getting called by trash.

But as lambert said with your AA/KK/QQ/AK, whatever happens you need to play this very strongly pre-flop and never try and slow-play these hands at NL4, cos it will come back to haunt you so often
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't suggest 3 or 4betting light below 20NL, up until then you'll easily find enough players not paying attention to how you play
  • edited December 2011
    surely the fact that you get called more often at nl4 etc should make you want to 3 bet a hell of a lot, especially in position.

why would you only ever 3bet your premium hands? might as well type it in the chat box
  • edited December 2011
    surely the fact that you get called more often at nl4 etc should make you want to 3 bet a hell of a lot, especially in position. why would you only ever 3bet your premium hands? might as well type it in the chat box
    Posted by huuuuume
    The fact you get called more often means you don't wanna 3bet alot...

Why would you wanna 3bet with marginal hands when you're gonna get called by junk and they hit with their junk and you've put more money that necessary into a pot you're gonna lose. When people call with anything, it takes away your ability to vluff them and leaves you mostly relying on having the best hand, which is why you play strong starting hands.

You can't bluff at this level so you're 3 betting purely for value with big hands where you expect to win the hand so you're just increasing the pot you win. You 3bet with AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK because with these hands you expect to win quite often against any 2 cards... you don't do it with KJ or Q9 because quite often you can lose to any 2 cards with these.
  • edited December 2011

just because you dont have AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK doesnt mean youre not 3 betting for value and doesnt mean youre bluffing.

i seem to remember trying to point this out before and getting the same stubborn response.

guess im wrong completely :(

• edited December 2011
    I wouldn't recomend 3-betting with JJ too often at NL4. You are only going to get a four bet from a hand that's beating you or is 50:50 at best. And when you get called you are going to be up against over cards everytime. More profitable to call with JJ at NL4 I think. If you have reads that a particular player 4-bets light or will open raise and call a 3-bet with worse then 3-bet with jack. Otherwise I wouldn't. In general players at NL4 will limp in with small pair or suited connectors which are the type of hands you want to 3-bet against with jacks anyway.

Just my thoughts. Play them like they are a pair or eights.
  • edited December 2011
    Looking to 3or 4bet more for the sake of it is prob a bad idea. Think about how you can play your hands more profitably, if that means 3betting more then do it

Against players who call 3bets too wide you can widen your value 3betting range

Against players who have a fold button, you prob should have a polarised range, ie a narrow value range balanced with some 3bet bluffs

Obv ranges will be dynamic, if you 3bet a lot, usually people will adjust by continuing wider. At 4NL I wouldnt think 3bet bluffing is going to work much, but you prob can 3bet for value pretty wide especially ip (huume I dont think you are wrong:)). How they play postflop will playa part in these decisions

3bet bluffs seem uncommon at 4NL etc, so I'd only 4bet hands you are willing to stack off with. The same kind of idea applies though, if you are 4b/f be very careful with sizing
  • edited December 2011
    what the monkey just said!
  • edited December 2011
    people call on any 2 on 4 nl so if im playing i raise if every 1 limps on any 2 and if i get a big hand qq kk or aa i raise big aswell people think that i havent got much because im raising almost every hand so disguises what i have and i would raise atleast 6 x preflop because people just call all the time on 4 nl 
  • edited December 2011
    No need to balance at NL4, so just 3 bet - 4 bet your big value hands

You can only 3 bet bluff good oppo, bad will call - so really it's not a good idea to 3 bet bluff at NL4 unless your playing a REG )
    Depends if you think that REG is opneing too many pots, situation/dynamic dependant

I 3 bet bluffed GT once, it was a nie feeling :D
  • edited December 2011
    people call on any 2 on 4 nl so if im playing i raise if every 1 limps on any 2 and if i get a big hand qq kk or aa i raise big aswell people think that i havent got much because im raising almost every hand so disguises what i have and i would raise atleast 6 x preflop because people just call all the time on 4 nl 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Sorry Donk, I dunno what works for but I would DEFINITELY NOT be recommending that fairly new players start raising EVERY hand with limpers, because at this level, you'll be raising every hand and you just don't wanna be playing loads of flops at this level because you will just be burning money. Also when you do get AA/KK you don't want 5 callers cos you're virtually never gonna win, so it's no good saying, well playing mega loose gets me tons of callers with big hands cos u dont wanna take AA 6way