You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I'm growing to dislike Trips. (NL4)

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
They look so exciting but I lose more than I win, particularly when I get greedy with them!

Do you think getting to relatively cheap showdowns is the way to go?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
pkrchick88 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.80
BillyWiz68 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.79
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • J

fasho Fold     
Googly69 Fold     
ZedsDeadBa Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.18
pip19 Fold     
pkrchick88 Call  £0.02 £0.12 £1.78
BillyWiz68 Check     
Flop

• Q
  • Q

pkrchick88 Check     
BillyWiz68 Check     
ZedsDeadBa Check     
Turn

• K

pkrchick88 Bet  £0.04 £0.16 £1.74
BillyWiz68 Fold     
ZedsDeadBa Raise  £0.08 £0.24 £4.10
pkrchick88 Call  £0.04 £0.28 £1.70
River

pkrchick88 Bet  £0.28 £0.56 £1.42
ZedsDeadBa Raise  £1.12 £1.68 £2.98
pkrchick88 All-in  £1.42 £3.10 £0.00
ZedsDeadBa Call  £0.58 £3.68 £2.40
pkrchick88 Show

ZedsDeadBa Show
  • Q
  • J

pkrchick88 Win Full House, 2s and Queens £3.40  £3.40

Comments

• edited December 2011
    DO NOT open limp pre, raise or fold, I prefer raise.

As played bet flop like 12p should be more if raised pre.

Turn what the hell are you MIN raising for, at least 25p here again more if pot is raised pre.

River you finally find raise button but this is BAD as if he had any draw previously (I know unlikely on this board but longterm it's AWFUL) you have given him super duper cool lets go party odds to hit, river is standard.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: I'm growing to dislike Trips. (NL4):
    DO NOT open limp pre, raise or fold, I prefer raise. As played bet flop like 12p should be more if raised pre. Turn what the hell are you MIN raising for, at least 25p here again more if pot is raised pre. River you finally find raise button but this is BAD as if he had any draw previously (I know unlikely on this board but longterm it's AWFUL) you have given him super duper cool lets go party odds to hit, river is standard.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Dude, you've really gotta stop pussy-footing around and tell me whats on your mind!

Good response though and well funny.

Thanks.

Z.
  • edited December 2011
    Dont limp

dont check flop

if u did both of those it wud of been a bad beat as opposed to bad play.
  • edited December 2011
    raise pre -

check flop is ok

raise turn but more

ul on river

• edited December 2011
    Aghhhhhh bet sizing @ nl4! How many times :@:@:

I can live with the limp.

But you gotta make some bets when you flop massive hands!

In 2 streets (flop & turn) we manage to get a total of 2 big blinds over the line........
  • edited December 2011

Aw c'mon guys I'm getting better!

It's just that I'm getting real paranoid with trips. Sets are cool no problem I can play em like a pro but I seem to run into a house almost every time with trips and in the past I was forever stacking myself!!!!!

Hence the post.

It won't happen again I promise, however if I get stacked again........I'll be back.

Z.

• edited December 2011
    Aghhhhhh bet sizing @ nl4! How many times :@:@:@:@ I can live with the limp. But you gotta make some bets when you flop massive hands! In 2 streets (flop & turn) we manage to get a total of 2 big blinds over the line........
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Sorry but you can not in ANY way be encouraging this play, it's folded round you're in CO, super standard raise spot, open limping achieves nothing imo and if you don't want to raise as blinds are short just fold, if you haven't got the discipline to then you have problems.
  • edited December 2011
    Aw c'mon guys I'm getting better! It's just that I'm getting real paranoid with trips. Sets are cool no problem I can play em like a pro but I seem to run into a house almost every time with trips and in the past I was forever stacking myself!!!!! Hence the post. It won't happen again I promise, however if I get stacked again........I'll be back. Z.
    Posted by ZedsDeadBa
    In this hand you were willing to set him all in on the river, so you should have been willing to do that on the flop and turn
  • edited December 2011
    I would open coz I'm a confident post flop player at this level.

----------------------------------------------

The limp can still be profitable. 

There r much bigger problems with the hand than the limp in pre.

As for "it achieves nothing" - I dunno what this means, but it gives us an opportunity to see a flop and make a big hand with cards which have potential to do so, against players who will call our value bets extremely light.

• edited December 2011
    I would think raising and trying isolate against one player would be better which gives you chance to make a cbet (they do work at NL4 when used properly, heads up for instance) but also have a larger pot for when you get flops like this.

Yes players call with any two and pot will get larger but even betting pot here on flop and turn and getting called makes pot £1.08 on river and that's with rake included which is it won't be so river Vbet can't be as good well unless you overbet ofcourse but better when pot is similar to stack ratio.
  • edited December 2011
    I would think raising and trying isolate against one player would be better which gives you chance to make a cbet (they do work at NL4 when used properly, heads up for instance) but also have a larger pot for when you get flops like this. Yes players call with any two and pot will get larger but even betting pot here on flop and turn and getting called makes pot £1.08 on river and that's with rake included which is it won't be so river Vbet can't be as good well unless you overbet ofcourse but better when pot is similar to stack ratio.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Thanks everyone as ever, plenty to remember and some clear mistakes pointed out, despite my excuses.

Z.
  • edited December 2011
    The key Zed is don't slowplay ever (I assume that was what you were doing)... when you flop trips like this at 4NL bet at least 75% of the pot on the flop, and same again 75% of pot on the turn, you just wanna get all the chips in when you flop this hand (most time they won't have also flopped a set lol)
  • edited December 2011
    this hand is just played bad but your here to learn zeb which os good ;) i would of raised the flop to about 40 p then fir again on the turn about 3/4 pot then 3/4 bet on the river if in doubt zeb the 3/4 bet on the bottom of your screen is a good use but as played no getting away from this just unlucky