You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

optimal value on the river?

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Think here that the villian has spades but he's been playing a lot of hand (calling too much pre flop in my oppinion) so I can't rule out the straight totally.

I have to assume I have the best hand so on the river I decided to bet and fold to a raise since I thought he would raise with a four and call with the other ace or a ten.

Thinking back am I better off check-calling since he is more likely to bluff on the river with a missed draw than he is to call my value bet with worse. And he might also value bet a random two pair or if he has the last ace.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jugglegeek Small blind
£0.05 £0.05 £14.39
LucsBrasi Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £12.32
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

baskervill Fold        
Robbo67 Call   £0.10 £0.25 £16.85
skywalke09 Fold        
jugglegeek Raise   £0.35 £0.60 £14.04
LucsBrasi Call   £0.30 £0.90 £12.02
Robbo67 Fold        
Flop

• A

jugglegeek Bet   £0.50 £1.40 £13.54
LucsBrasi Call   £0.50 £1.90 £11.52
Turn

jugglegeek Bet   £1.00 £2.90 £12.54
LucsBrasi Call   £1.00 £3.90 £10.52
River

jugglegeek Bet   £1.95 £5.85 £10.59
LucsBrasi Fold        
jugglegeek Muck        
jugglegeek Win   £3.60   £14.19
jugglegeek Return   £1.95 £0.30 £16.14

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Pre I make it 5x in SB.

Flop about 65-70p.

Turn after flop gets aclled much more like £1.40 MIN.

River £2.50 as played but much more if bet bigger previously.

Remember if someone OPEN limps pre that they are BAD and if they have chips behind you want those chips and sat 140bbs deep you want BIG pot with BIG hand think NL4 yeah !
  • edited December 2011
    Open limper folded anyway so I'm playing the BB out of possition. Couldn't see what he could have hit on the flop apart from a draw so I bet small intentionally. I take your point about betting bigger on the turn but I just was so sure he was drawing that I wanted to make him think that he was getting the right price but making sure he wasn't. I just feel bad because I had aces three times in a two hour session and it was still a break even session.

What do you think to checking the river? does he ever call with the ten since I've shown some strength he must think I have the ace at least by now and it's unlikely he has the ace? I'd love to know what he had.
  • edited December 2011
    bet bigger everywhere
  • edited December 2011
    I've lost count of the number of times I've had AA half a dozen times in a session and still end up break even or losing... sometimes you just don't get any action Juggle.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: optimal value on the river?:
    bet bigger everywhere
    Posted by grantorino

PLUS ONE! this is the answer your looking for