You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Am I right to be irritated by this...

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
On the bubble in a sit ngo, and first to act I shove. The bb who has enough to put me on the ropes waits until the ticker is almost at zero and calls with aces. I had a go for slow rolling. My opponent clearly ignorant of the fact it's bad etiquette says they are his chips and he will call when and how he likes. Then some excuse that he was doing something else. 

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Yuk........completely pointless - hope one day it bites him back in some way
  • edited October 2009
    I let things like this get to me, and I suppose he could have been multi-tabling, but it was his complete ignorance of the fact slow-rolling was frowned upon that got me. I have no gripes about AA beating KJ but I always try and insta call with the nuts 
  • edited October 2009
    Yeh agree like when they have quads against full house and they take maximum time to call
  • edited October 2009
    probably put my foot in it here, but isn't that slow playing and part of the game? or have i mis-understood?
  • edited October 2009
    Slow playing and slow rolling are comletely different.....
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Am I right to be irritated by this...:
    Slow playing and slow rolling are comletely different.....
    Posted by phil12uk
    they certainly are
  • edited October 2009
    slow playing is fine. It's just when you call rather than raise/check as opoosed to bet. Usually when you're hand is so big, you want your opponent to catch a card.

Slow rolling is when the last person to act has the nuts but waits until the ticker is down to virtually zero before calling (takes an age in live poker) - usually done to wind people up and very bad etiquette
  • edited October 2009
    right understood, will make a note never to do that then, as i thought that was slow playing (doughnut!!) cheers for the heads up guys :)
  • edited October 2009
    no worries. I don't play live much, but I understand it's caused a few arguments
  • edited October 2009
    Yeh basicly slow playing is trying to show you are weak when you are V.strong and to encourage people to bet at you again..... slow rolling you are the last to act on the river or vs 1 opponent who is all in therfore gaining nothing by playing slow... very much frowned upon.. ask Tikay about it... he got very Irate about it when some1 did it to him... Naughty stuff.. but generally done by accident
  • edited October 2009
    By the way Marg - nothing wrong with allowing the clock to go down to disguise your hand if there are others to act behind or further streets. Only really wrong when you're closing the action and you have the nuts. Had the guy had KK fair enough - he may pass - but to my mind there was no way with no real short stack that villain here was contemplating a fold 
  • edited October 2009
    and yes - agree with Flashflush - most of the time it isn't intended - players are either distracted or multi-tabling
  • edited October 2009
    I'm pretty easy to tilt, but nothing tilts me more than a slow-roller!

There would have been LOTS of asterisks in the chat box if that had happened to me, darich :-)

• edited October 2009
    good, so now i know to slow roll Tikay and mr Hartigan lol
  • edited October 2009
    im findin it hard to follow, u mean he was wasting time so more people were leaving the game, i sort of do that some times, if its nessesary. but im not proud of it.
  • edited October 2009
    Players name please so I can add to my list of people who deserve to be slowrolled ;-)
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Am I right to be irritated by this...:
    im findin it hard to follow, u mean he was wasting time so more people were leaving the game, i sort of do that some times, if its nessesary. but im not proud of it.
    Posted by nirvana29
    If u look down at AA ur gonna insta call any all in. The problem is letting the time bar run all the way down as if its a tough decision to call or fold.
  • edited October 2009
    Not only that, but its a SNG so nobody else can go out (I'm assuming 1 table)
  • edited October 2009
    slowrolling = bad, but it is hard to tell if you really got slowrolled online, it could be he was doing something, maybe has a slow connection, maybe his kids were jumping all over him,maybe he is a new poker player and does not know what slowrolling is, so many if's or but's. i would say there's no point getting yourself wound up about it, there's always another dym just a click away.
  • edited October 2009
    he was doing you a favour,someone else could have been knocked out in the time it took for him to call.
  • edited October 2009
    if this was a single table dym, then he wasnt doing you a favour, as noone else could be put out.
    There really is no need for him to let the timer run down, so if it is intentional then its really poor etiquette.

adding on to the point flashflush made, i dont think this example is slowrolling exactly, as pocket aces is not always going to win. i think for it to be slowrolling in the truest of forms, they need to have the nuts and KNOW that they cannot lose the hand, thus normally ocurrs on the river with no more cards to come.

Ray
  • edited October 2009
    I was playing in a sit 'n go the other night with pocket A's and I had had connection hiccups all game.
    I just managed to get my call before the timer bar run out.
    Sometimes a player can do nothing about the connection and just hits the button when ever they can.
    I agree slowrolling is annoying, but sometimes there is not a lot that can be done about it.
    I don't let it get to me, It is part of the game.
  • edited October 2009
    i  hate  slow  rollers  why  there  do  it  is  beond me     there know there won  just  like  to  rub it in