You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll Management.

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I currently have £66.32 in my bankroll, built up from a £5 deposit 2-3 weeks ago.

I would like to start to use some tight BRM to build a very healthy Bankroll, so i could play in some of the major tournaments at sky poker, and possibly win one (wouldn't we all). I would like some advice on cash games and MTT's/STT's.

The way i look it im not properly rolled for even the smallest of stakes for both Cash games and MTT's yet. Only the Double Your Money Sit n Go's my bankroll permits.

However, i'm doing reasonably well at NL4 with my currrent bankroll, and i really enjoy MTT's (especially Bounty Hunters), but i don't want an unfortunate swing of luck to completely destroy my current bankroll.

Arron.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    £80 is a sensible amount for NL4. Keep playing £1/£2 DYMs and SnGs until you get to that. Think of playing the MTTs as a bit of a treat rather than a way to increase you bank roll. The £2 deepstacks can be quite fun and depending on the prize pool can offer a good first prize.

But once you start grinding NL4 don't worry if you loose a buy-in or two. The important thing is that you always know you can take a step back if you start to loose too much
  • edited December 2011
    £66 is more than enough to play NL4, but this is if you're playing a certain way i.e. very nitty/tight/not may hands etc and also max of 2 tables. Playing like that you'll soon be climbing up and eventually get to £80 where you should be safe and then never go broke again at NL4.

However because I don't know if you have MY sort of discipline I'd agree with juggle and play the DYM's £2.25 level till you get to around £75 then switch to £3.30 till your over £80 then plug away at NL4.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, i do play a rather tight style of play, try to get value out of my big hands etc. At the moment i'm mixing NL4 with a few 2.25 DYMs (A record of 10 wins to 1 loss, may i add).

What do you mean MTT's as a treat, when should i be playing MTT's? At what bankroll? I was thinking of participating in the forum DTD events weekly, as it would be good fun, which could make me a more solid player. As there is a good skill base at a reasonable price. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah keep going with the DYM mate. i'm building my roll up nicely at the mo playing these. and if u feel as tho u can keep making a profit playing NL4, then stay as u are.

I must add tho, that u said u wanted to be more tighter with your roll, playing even NL4 with a £66 roll, imo is not tight enough.

Also to reiterate jugglegeek's comment, you should never treat mtt's as a way of building a bankroll. As it stands currently with your roll, i would never buy-in an mtt with any more than £2 and only then i would play them sparingly. if you do manage to pick upa good win along the way, then you can use it to step up a level in either cash/stt.

gl
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Bankroll Management.:
    Thanks, i do play a rather tight style of play, try to get value out of my big hands etc. At the moment i'm mixing NL4 with a few 2.25 DYMs (A record of 10 wins to 1 loss, may i add). What do you mean MTT's as a treat, when should i be playing MTT's? At what bankroll? I was thinking of participating in the forum DTD events weekly, as it would be good fun, which could make me a more solid player. As there is a good skill base at a reasonable price. 
    Posted by Swog
    In MTT's you can go 15-20 games (maybe more) without even a mincash despite playing perfect poker as you need a large slice of luck in the coin flips etc, for this reason if you want to play them seriously I'd advise anywhere between 50-100 BI's for me I generally stay at this high end as it means I never think about the money.

With your roll you can probably get away with the DTD once a week at £5.50 but make that a one off treat a week then grind the DYM/Cash rest of time until you have around £150-200.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, i would like to hopefully in the future be able to play Cash, MTT and DYM's comfortably, The heads-up games are brilliant to.

I probably would never play MTT's soley as a way to increase bankroll, maybe as a treat once a week for now, which is what i plan to do with the DTD's, being deep stacked takes the luck factor a little less out of the equation.

When i get my student grant through next Monday i will probably deposit £30-£50 to help along the way.
  • edited December 2011
    i think mtts are great when i havent got much of a roll i play the mtts £1.10 1s i had a great week last week and turned into 500 just buy playing small mtts so it can be done but when i make a small deposit i find the 7.45 deepstack the 6.50pm tourney and 10.30 pm mtt the best 3 tourneys to build your roll spend litlle win big :) for 3.30 good fun i say i would never play cash with any les then 100 as your bankroll would be my advice because if u lose a big pot u need to handle the beat and if ya got 20 buy ins u can take it on the chin 
  • edited December 2011

Alright Swog,

My suggestion for good bankroll management and profits is pure discipline, and a good strong game.

There are a few rules to follow that will help you rideout the downswings (which every player no matter how good they are will face) and even out the variance so over a period of time your profits will be consistant.

The rules are as follows,

1. Multi-table tourneys and Multi-table Sit 'n' Go's, no more than 1-2% of your total bankroll to be staked on a single buy-in.
    2. Single-table Sit 'n' Go's and DYM's, no more than 3-5% of your total bankroll to be staked on a single buy-in.
    3. Cash ring games, no more than 3-5% of your total bankroll to be staked on a single buy-in, but if you decide to muti-table your cash games then divide the stake by the amount of tables you wish to play.
    4. If at any time there is 10% or more of your total bankroll sat at a single cash game you should at that point leave the table.

So based on your current bankroll of £66,

MTT's and MT-S'n'G's, £0.66p-£1.32.
    STT's and DYM's, £1.98-£3.30.
    Cash ring games, £1.98-£3.30 for a single table, multi-tables divide by the amount of tables.

These figures should be re-evaluated and adjusted if at any point 50% of bankroll has increased or decreased.

If you follow these guidelines i can almost guarantee you will turn a profit in the long run.

Hope its made sense and been a help to you mate,
    Good luck!
    SonnyJimmy