You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Beat the Rake

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Would like peoples thoughts on low stakes cash and beating the rake.
As i understand rake stands at 5% with a cap of.....erm just found this so its 7.5%. 

Rake levels: 5p/10p and below

Number of Players Maximum Rake % per Pot Maximum Rake per Pot
 2 7.5% of the pot* £0.70
 3+ 7.5% of the pot* £1.40

Rake levels: Above 5p/10p

Number of Players Maximum Rake % per Pot Maximum Rake per Pot
 2 5% of the pot* £1.00
 3+ 5% of the pot* £1.80

Comments

• edited December 2011
    There is an asterix next to '7.5% of the pot', I dunno what it says elsewhere but would be helpful if you include that so you at least give a fair representation of what the rake table really means.
  • edited December 2011
    Im a tad shocked that its 7.5%.
    What i wanted to know was peoples opinions on rake and how it effects you play. 
    After seeing this I now know its not pos to beat the rake at low stakes by taking the odd flip.
    Getting it in with JJ pre is gonna be a losing play as most of the time its a flip vs AK (using this as a example)
    So to beat the rake we need to get our money as a min 60% fav? and never take a flip.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Beat the Rake:
    There is an asterix next to '7.5% of the pot', I dunno what it says elsewhere but would be helpful if you include that so you at least give a fair representation of what the rake table really means.
    Posted by Lambert180

(*Rounded UP to the nearest pence)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry but its just not true that it's not possible to beat the rake at these levels. I've turned £20 into £200+ at these stakes and I know many other people who have made good money from them. Your game shouldnt revolve around getting it in flipping anyway regardless of the rake. The better the player, the more postflop play there will be.
  • edited December 2011

For mid stakes 100nl If 2 people get 100bb stacks in pre 6 max. £200 pot =£1.80 in rake so it is 0.9% so you can get money in as a 52% fav and be a winner.

At 10nl if 2 people get 100bb stacks in pre 6 max.  £20 pot = £1.40 in rake so its 7%.
    If you chuck in a bit of variance is it pos to beat the rake at low stakes?

• edited December 2011
    I'm sorry but its just not true that it's not possible to beat the rake at these levels. I've turned £20 into £200+ at these stakes and I know many other people who have made good money from them. Your game shouldnt revolve around getting it in flipping anyway regardless of the rake. The better the player, the more postflop play there will be.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I did not say its not possible.  But you will not be a winner long term getting money in <60% fav.
  • edited December 2011
    Well stop racing then, and play post flop and get it in when you're good
  • edited December 2011
    Selling shovels.
  • edited December 2011
    Getting it in as a flip is standard in cash, you saying 3b fold AK? only get it in with AA and KK pre? 
    Would like you to explain how you can play with any sort of balanced range without getting it in a flip every so often.
  • edited December 2011
    Getting it in as a flip is standard in cash, you saying 3b fold AK? only get it in with AA and KK pre?  Would like you to explain how you can play with any sort of balanced range without getting it in a flip every so often.
    Posted by freechips1
    You're completely right in that you will get it in on a flip every so often, but you cannot expect for your entire profit to come from these flips.