You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove?

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Button has about 1300, I have 1900.
WOODSTER13 Small blind   150.00 150.00 6997.50
eschwege09 Big blind   300.00 450.00 1370.00
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited December 2011
    yeah if 15 bb or less 
  • edited December 2011
    right on the edge but yeah 100% shove

It's a DYM so 5-7 bb's depending on blind level

check JC's shoving ranges Dudeskin
  • edited December 2011
    What's your stack and the other guy's?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove?:
    yeah if 15 bb or less 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    how is this relevent?
  • edited December 2011
    right on the edge but yeah 100% shove It's a DYM so 5-7 bb's depending on blind level check JC's shoving ranges Dudeskin
    Posted by rancid
    being the bubble stack sizes and how the big stack is playin are far more important than just how many bb's u have
  • edited December 2011
    oh and it's a fold btw
  • edited December 2011
    Fold, you are quite far ahead of both the button and SB, so you aren't in too much danger yet, also BB has 7k so may call you light and you obv don't want to be called at all
  • edited December 2011
    right on the edge but yeah 100% shove It's a DYM so 5-7 bb's depending on blind level check JC's shoving ranges Dudeskin
    Posted by rancid
    His shoving guide mainly applies when you are the shortstack
  • edited December 2011

Ok really intrested in Shanxta and PF’s responses here

Are we folding because we are UTG, therefore only better will call AQ/AK

JC guide is at certain levels shove with x bigs because we don’t want to be blinded out, why does AJ feel ok in this spot.

How do we counter this with how the other oppo are playing Shanxs

If they are prone to call light do we fold, or if they tighter we can shove ?

If my posts only serve as a springboard to better understanding then I am more than happy to continue )

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove? : His shoving guide mainly applies when you are the shortstack
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Didn't wanna go into this in the community so private mailed John Connor but as he didn't reply i will tell it like it is.

Easy fold You need jj + or ak to shove in that spot.

JC's whole DYM strategy is based on a sit and go book that does not have 1 page on DYM's where the ROI for winning far outways just making the cash which is why standard sng s are more aggro.
    50% winner
    30% 2nd
    20% 3rd.

DYM 1st 33.3333%
           2nd 33.3333%
           3rd  33.33333%

His shoving ranges are terrible he gets told this because he shoves from any position with junk in a game of
    survival and stack sizes and position.

He uses an agrresive style based on sng play which i guarentee isn't
    even optimal for standard sng's.Im not going into detail if you wanna improve please search google for more reliable sources.
  • edited December 2011
    Ok really intrested in Shanxta and PF’s responses here Are we folding because we are UTG, therefore only better will call AQ/AK JC guide is at certain levels shove with x bigs because we don’t want to be blinded out, why does AJ feel ok in this spot. How do we counter this with how the other oppo are playing Shanxs If they are prone to call light do we fold, or if they tighter we can shove ? If my posts only serve as a springboard to better understanding then I am more than happy to continue )
    Posted by rancid
    IMO if you're in 2nd place there's not usually any need to risk your chips, both shorties have more pressure to double up then you, so fold and wait for a car crash
  • edited December 2011
    y is this relevant lol because if u got 15 bb u can raise fold thats y 7-8 bb its a jam all in 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove?:
    Button has about 1300, I have 1900. WOODSTER13 Small blind   150.00 150.00 6997.50 eschwege09 Big blind   300.00 450.00 1370.00   Your hole cards J A       Dudeskin8
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I think this is a tricky spot, tbh. AJ is obviously huge 4 handed, we are short in terms of BBs and the blinds hit us next. I think I can find a fold here, though, because there are 2 players with 1300 stacks. We probably have just about as good a seat as we could hope for in this situation, too, in that were not directly on either side of the big stack where as the two other shorties are. I would go along with jimifloyd's shoving ranges here.
  • edited December 2011
    Ok really intrested in Shanxta and PF’s responses here Are we folding because we are UTG, therefore only better will call AQ/AK JC guide is at certain levels shove with x bigs because we don’t want to be blinded out, why does AJ feel ok in this spot. How do we counter this with how the other oppo are playing Shanxs If they are prone to call light do we fold, or if they tighter we can shove ? If my posts only serve as a springboard to better understanding then I am more than happy to continue )
    Posted by rancid
    i've only got a couple of secs but to sum it up in a sentence we are 2/4 in a survival game when top 3 get paid we have no need to ship AJ here, there are v few hands i do ship it with in this spot
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove? : I think this is a tricky spot, tbh. AJ is obviously huge 4 handed, we are short in terms of BBs and the blinds hit us next. I think I can find a fold here, though, because there are 2 players with 1300 stacks. We probably have just about as good a seat as we could hope for in this situation, too, in that were not directly on either side of the big stack where as the two other shorties are. I would go along with jimifloyd's shoving ranges here.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Many a person would of bitten after my post and its not said with malice towards you as a person.
    You seem like a nice guy and fair play for not bitting which tells me you dont have a big ego which is
    a cool attribute to have.

There are many ways to skin a cat and your way isn't the most optimal by far although you
    may be thinking im making money so there is nothing to fix.

Your blog was mean't for the benifit of others and theres some good points but the most important aspect
    of sngs and dyms is endgame strategy.(Shoving and Calling ranges)
    Factor these ranges with position-the amount of players to get your shove through weighed up with stacksizes and your almost there.

But so many times you shove with complete junk UTG to get through 3 players on the bubble when there is
    no need to shove.
    IF your telling people to shove any 2 which in certain spots there is, then atleast make it an isco
    shove-say blind on blind,or 4 handed a shove to get through 2 players with the next lowest stack been the target.Also when your at 7 blinds ect you have very little fold equity so you need half decent hands as the chances of been called are alot higher meaning you need some sort of hand with equity to compete with a call.

Its not in my best interest to be telling people how to play em for when i play em edges decrease if everyone is
    playing close to optimal.

This is my point though if you are teaching bad fundamentals for the benefit of others then is that any better then me not saying anything at all?
    But now that you have said something i feel the need to correct your end game strategy as
    all the new players who are reading your blog are getting some good points but your end game strategy
    is gonna be a massive leak and all these newbies who dont run like u JC (GOD) may turn to other avenues.

So for the good of these new players i have to critisize 1 persons end game strategy.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove? : Many a person would of bitten after my post and its not said with malice towards you as a person. You seem like a nice guy and fair play for not bitting which tells me you dont have a big ego which is a cool attribute to have. There are many ways to skin a cat and your way isn't the most optimal by far although you may be thinking im making money so there is nothing to fix. Your blog was mean't for the benifit of others and theres some good points but the most important aspect of sngs and dyms is endgame strategy.(Shoving and Calling ranges) Factor these ranges with position-the amount of players to get your shove through weighed up with stacksizes and your almost there. But so many times you shove with complete junk UTG to get through 3 players on the bubble when there is no need to shove. IF your telling people to shove any 2 which in certain spots there is, then atleast make it an isco shove-say blind on blind,or 4 handed a shove to get through 2 players with the next lowest stack been the target.Also when your at 7 blinds ect you have very little fold equity so you need half decent hands as the chances of been called are alot higher meaning you need some sort of hand with equity to compete with a call. Its not in my best interest to be telling people how to play em for when i play em edges decrease if everyone is playing close to optimal. This is my point thogugh if you are teaching bad fundamentals for the benefit of others then is that any better then me not saying anything at all? But now that you have said something i feel the need to correct your end game strategy as all the new players who are reading your blog are getting some good points but your end game strategy is gonna be a massive leak and all these newbies who dont run like u JC (GOD) may turn to other avenues. So for the good of these new players i have to critisize 1 persons end game strategy.
    Posted by jimifloyd
    Hi.

Fair play if you disagree with my endgame strategy, you've been around the DYMs since I started here and your stats are impressive. I think there may be a bit of misinterpretation, to be honest. For example in your PM you said I advocate shoving ATC anytime I have 10BBs or less, I don't know where I've ever said this.

Your suggestion that the blog wasn't intended to help others is just crazy, tbh, of course it was, who do you think it was for the benefit of? Do you honestly believe I took the time to write that to install leaks in my opponents games? The blog is 100% honest and any mistakes in there strategy-wise are my own failings, not deliberate. The blog was intended to help some people and from the feedback I've had it has, so I am very happy with it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove? : Hi. Fair play if you disagree with my endgame strategy, you've been around the DYMs since I started here and your stats are impressive. I think there may  be a bit of misinterpretation, to be honest. For example in your PM you said I advocate shoving ATC anytime I have 10BBs or less, I don't know where I've ever said this. Your suggestion that the blog wasn't intended to help others is just crazy, tbh, of course it was, who do you think it was for the benefit of? Do you honestly believe I took the time to write that to install leaks in my opponents games? The blog is 100% honest and any mistakes in there strategy-wise are my own failings, not deliberate. The blog was intended to help some people and from the feedback I've had it has, so I am very happy with it.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    3rd paragraph down jimifloyd quote "Your blog was mean't for the benifit of others ".

Is that a suggestion that it wasnt.

Johnconnor quote "SkyPoker players will have seen me shove with absolute junk from any position on occasion."  "The following table shows the stage where I think you are desperate and need to make a move before the blinds hit you once more (e.g. if your chip stack is lower than the one stated then I recommend shoving 8-3 UTG the next hand): "

You shove with junk in bad spot with 12-8 bbs on a consistant basis.
    Remember taking notes is important.

I take note on opponents shoving ranges and stack to blind ratio so deny it and tighten up,
    i help you and you make me look a fool.

Win win situation for you.

• edited December 2011
    I quote this from JC's guide, I think JC gives a balance view tbh and does give stipulations

"
    The following table shows the stage where I think you are desperate and need to make a move before the blinds hit you once more (e.g. if your chip stack is lower than the one stated then I recommend shoving 8-3 UTG the next hand):

Your chip stack:Big Blind:1100150140020017003002000400
    This table is shaped by thousands of DYMs’ worth of experience but I recommend anyone to try out their own figures and am open to suggestions about how the figures might be improved.
     Also I should state that, while the above table is extremely useful as a guide, it is just that, a guide. Below is a non-exhaustive list of some of the factors that might affect your thinking when looking at these figures: 

The presence of one or more micro stacks (i.e. virtually dead players) The presence of two or more maniacs who are showing no appreciation of DYM strategy and are constantly going to war with each other, regardless of the short stack at the table Still having a full table in the late stages. This is relatively rare but may prevent you from shoving the very worst hands as getting through 5 players is going to prove difficult The presence of an away player
    While I am looking at the table, I want to mention a side issue relating to the clock in DYMs.

Because the blind levels are only 5 minutes and a hand could take a minute to play out, the following happens very frequently. I recommend this strategy during late game play:

If you are facing a shove/fold decision during the late stages of a DYM and there are 30 seconds or less left in the current level, then play the hand as though you are already in the next level.

This is because, to all intents and purposes, you actually are. 

The above table is also useful for looking at when it is acceptable to call an all-in in the late stages.

Generally, of course, calling all-in is to be avoided and my general rule is to not do anything that is unnecessary (see the example earlier under ‘DYM Mindset’ about folding AA pre-flop).

However, when you reach the amounts stated in the table you are desperate and may need to call all-in if necessary.

This will often be a judgement call depending on your reads on the shover and the positions at the table but as a general guide, if I was desperate according to the table, I would call all-in with 88+, A10+ (see below for my ‘them or me’ exception where I would call with any 2 cards)."

• edited December 2011
    I quote this from JC's guide, I think JC gives a balance view tbh and does give stipulations " The following table shows the stage where I think you are desperate and need to make a move before the blinds hit you once more (e.g. if your chip stack is lower than the one stated then I recommend shoving 8-3 UTG the next hand):   Your chip stack: Big Blind: 1100 150 1400 200 1700 300 2000 400 This table is shaped by thousands of DYMs’ worth of experience but I recommend anyone to try out their own figures and am open to suggestions about how the figures might be improved.   Also I should state that, while the above table is extremely useful as a guide, it is just that, a guide. Below is a non-exhaustive list of some of the factors that might affect your thinking when looking at these figures:     The presence of one or more micro stacks (i.e. virtually dead players)   The presence of two or more maniacs who are showing no appreciation of DYM strategy and are constantly going to war with each other, regardless of the short stack at the table   Still having a full table in the late stages. This is relatively rare but may prevent you from shoving the very worst hands as getting through 5 players is going to prove difficult   The presence of an away player While I am looking at the table, I want to mention a side issue relating to the clock in DYMs. Because the blind levels are only 5 minutes and a hand could take a minute to play out, the following happens very frequently. I recommend this strategy during late game play:   If you are facing a shove/fold decision during the late stages of a DYM and there are 30 seconds or less left in the current level, then play the hand as though you are already in the next level. This is because, to all intents and purposes, you actually are.    The above table is also useful for looking at when it is acceptable to call an all-in in the late stages. Generally, of course, calling all-in is to be avoided and my general rule is to not do anything that is unnecessary (see the example earlier under ‘DYM Mindset’ about folding AA pre-flop). However, when you reach the amounts stated in the table you are desperate and may need to call all-in if necessary. This will often be a judgement call depending on your reads on the shover and the positions at the table but as a general guide, if I was desperate according to the table, I would call all-in with 88+, A10+ (see below for my ‘them or me’ exception where I would call with any 2 cards)."
    Posted by rancid
    How much fold equity do you have with 5 big blinds?
    When you shove from any position with no fold equity with any 2 or marginal hands what is the result?

When you find the answer it will be no fold equity,more chance of been called because we are shoving any position and no equity vs the opponents calling range because we are shoving with junk.

Also a short stacked players image is loose for the very reason he is short and the fact he needs to be
    shoving wider anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove? : How much fold equity do you have with 5 big blinds? When you shove from any position with no fold equity with any 2 or marginal hands what is the result? When you find the answer it will be no fold equity,more chance of been called because we are shoving any position and no equity vs the opponents calling range because we are shoving with junk. Also a short stacked players image is loose for the very reason he is short and the fact he needs to be shoving wider anyway.
    Posted by jimifloyd
    Been a little dramatic with this example.

The point i was getting across is shoving any position with 5-7 blinds gives you less fold equity and more chance of been called.Factor 1 is the amount of players the shove has to get through giving you a higher% of been called and factor 2, the bigger stacks will call you more often as you have less fold equity vs there stack size.
    Your fold equity is relative to the active stack size no matter how many blinds you have.

So in a standard sng it is vital to keep a good stack to maintain good fold equity giving you a better chance of
    coming 1st for a bigger payoff.

Where as a dym is about survival with your only target been the nearest stack size to you.
    When you are as short as on JCs guide then they're only usually 4 players left usually leaving
    it between you and the other short stack as to cashing.So you do not need to challenge the table
    only that 1 person for a vital 3rd place.
  • edited December 2011

Yeah I hear ya !!

When using this guide you do have to factor in the other stack sizes and the situation at the table. It’s by no means a “This is what you do no matter what”

If only poker was that simple.

There’s no guide in the world that can factor in all the various table situations and tell you how to play each one, that would be a great selling book )

Question for you

Is it paramount to use ICM in DYM’s ? I am trying to get my head around it, but it’s a bit like rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• edited December 2011
    Yeah I hear ya !!     When using this guide you do have to factor in the other stack sizes and the situation at the table. It’s by no means a “This is what you do no matter what” If only poker was that simple. There’s no guide in the world that can factor in all the various table situations and tell you how to play each one, that would be a great selling book )   Question for you   Is it paramount to use ICM in DYM’s ? I am trying to get my head around it, but it’s a bit like rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Posted by rancid
    I do, any hand you think you made a mistake you can review after the session to iron out your leaks.
    I mainly use sit and go wiz but you can use sng end game (power) tools aswell.

Plugging into icm calculators is just like using poker stove its a post game reviewing programme.

The concept of icm is bascically the more chips you have the less value a chips is worth and vise versa.
    Thats why in another post i sais you basically have x-percentage of winning still after a fold in a spot with 4 players left.Where as i think grantorino did the exact maths by dividing the individual stack sizes by the total prize pool.
    But as the more chips you have the less their value and the less chips you have the higher their value it is a lot closer than he calculated for this reason.

You can calculate these tourny equitys ,void of hand ranges with free online calculators like chillin icm.

http://www.chillin411.com/icmcalc.php
  • edited December 2011

Yeah I think understanding chip equity is vital, if you can work our while playing your stack equity in a MTT/DYM/STT then surely this has got to be a good thing. How do you work our your stack equity ?

The bigger your equity the greater chance of winning  !!

Like I say I need to get to grips with this and entering shoving/calling ranges etc….

• edited December 2011
    Yeah I think understanding chip equity is vital, if you can work our while playing your stack equity in a MTT/DYM/STT then surely this has got to be a good thing. How do you work our your stack equity ? The bigger your equity the greater chance of winning   !!   Like I say I need to get to grips with this and entering shoving/calling ranges etc….
    Posted by rancid
    The link i posted is for sngs and mtts where the payout is top 10 or less but only when there are 10 players left in mtts, there are other icm calculators that do larger fields but some take a long time to process depending on field sizes.
    Plug in all the stack sizes and press calculate ICM, for your tourney equity.

For shoving and calling ranges you need to be using sng wiz or sng power tools.
    The more spots you get in the more it becomes second nature so the quickest way is to play the quiz mode
    in sng wiz changing postition and blind structures for the spots you think you need to improve.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove? : The link i posted is for sngs and mtts where the payout is top 10 or less but only when there are 10 players left in mtts, there are other icm calculators that do larger fields but some take a long time to process depending on field sizes. Plug in all the stack sizes and press calculate ICM, for your tourney equity. For shoving and calling ranges you need to be using sng wiz or sng power tools. The more spots you get in the more it becomes second nature so the quickest way is to play the quiz mode in sng wiz changing postition and blind structures for the spots you think you need to improve.
    Posted by jimifloyd
    Hi,

Thanks for this, got my head around ICM now. Just need to work on inputting correct ranges - GIGO and all that !!!
    I suppose the more you use it the better you become in game, no way you can work all this out in game.
    Does anyone know of a quick calculation on the table to work out your stack equity ?

cheers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - AJ, 4 handed have to shove? : Hi,    Thanks for this, got my head around ICM now. Just need to work on inputting correct ranges - GIGO and all that !!! I suppose the more you use it the better you become in game, no way you can work all this out in game. Does anyone know of a quick calculation on the table to work out your stack equity ? cheers
    Posted by rancid
    No (to the quick calculation part)and the software auto imports on certain sites but its banned from using while you play also sky does't save hand histories to your hard drive so like you say the more you use it the better you become.
    Just practice,practice,practice.

Your Welcome Jimi.