You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Weird Hand at NL4, opinions please...

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Player
ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
haslam01 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £0.06
ashers Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.46
 Your hole cards

enyap Fold     
Swog Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.43
thedorman Fold     
shabaz1969 Raise  £0.20 £0.30 £3.44
haslam01 All-in  £0.06 £0.36 £0.00
ashers Fold     
Swog Call  £0.16 £0.52 £3.27
Flop

• A

Swog Check     
shabaz1969 Check     
Turn

• A

Swog Check     
shabaz1969 Bet  £0.12 £0.64 £3.32
Swog Raise  £0.69 £1.33 £2.58
shabaz1969 Call  £0.57 £1.90 £2.75
River

Swog Bet  £0.95 £2.85 £1.63
shabaz1969 All-in  £2.75 £5.60 £0.00
Swog All-in  £1.63 £7.23 £0.00
shabaz1969 Unmatched bet  £0.17 £7.06 £0.17
haslam01 Show

Swog Show

shabaz1969 Show
  • A
  • J

Swog Win Full House, 5s and Aces £6.53  £6.53

Comments

• edited December 2011
    First of the limp? at the time i thought, i'll take a look at the flop for cheap pre-flop, then hopefully get paid of if i hit a set.
    Calling the raise? As i look back, i think my call pre-flop was rather terrible, as most the time i'll probably end up folding to a c-bet on the flop.
    The Flop? This was the dream flop for me, as an Ace was highly likely in Shabaz's range, so i checked across. To see a check back. I immediatly thought the ace hadn't improved his hand, but scared him.
    The Turn? Should i have lead out when i made my full house, or was checking again correct. I wasn't to happy with the 2nd Ace as i found it hard initially to think of a way to get paid, when he bet i thought the only way im going to get his whle stack is if i 3bet him on the turn. When he called my 3-bet i presumed he has a flush draw, i didn't think he would be capable of slopwplaying a higher house or better.
    The River? When the heart came i was still unsure what to do being oop so i led out, hoping to get paid by a pocket pair that didn't believe me, then he shoved on me. I reluctantly called, and was surprised to see trip aces, expected to see a flush badly played. Should i have folded to his shove on the river? i was beaten by: AA, A6, A5, A7, 77, 66. There is probably an argument he had any one of those hands, but as stated i really felt he wasn't capable of slowplaying a real monster.

This was one of the weirdest hands i've played for a while, so many tricky spots. Please post your thoughts on my play and the hand.
  • edited December 2011
    As i can now see the hands, i probably lost value by not getting it in before the river. Which would have happened looking at the strength of villians hand. A more capable player probably wouldn't have lost a single chip on the river.
  • edited December 2011
    limping 55 at nl4 is fine, as is flatting the raise, the rest shud just be try and get in as much as possible
  • edited December 2011
    The hand is fine until the river, where u need to bet bigger......

Perfect overbetting spot, or 1.50, or wateva, just bigger than 45% of the pot
  • edited December 2011
    played fine i would donk lead out on flop tho 
  • edited December 2011

At the river, it did cross my mind that he could have trip Aces, and tried to value bet. I also made the bet the right amount that it looks like i can be moved of my hand by a shove.

• edited December 2011
    I probably bet the flop with fd out dont want anyone outdrawing us for free

Again to slow to check turn, you need start building the pot if you want a decent pot and its unlikely you will get that if you get to river,

So other then limp pre i would of played completely different, your just lucky he had AJ which they cant fold there.
  • edited December 2011
    Pot flop pot turn shove river. print money.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Weird Hand at NL4, opinions please...:
    Posted by The_Don90
    +1
  • edited December 2011
    Posted by The_Don90
    he would have folded if he didn't have ace on flop.....
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Weird Hand at NL4, opinions please... : he would have folded if he didn't have ace on flop.....
    Posted by Swog
    You clearly haven't played NL4 very long have you? lol
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Weird Hand at NL4, opinions please... : he would have folded if he didn't have ace on flop.....
    Posted by Swog
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.... .. . .. ... ... this is NL4.
  • edited December 2011

Yeah, you do get times when players will call of with absolute junk. But, against certain players it is surely not optimal to ''bet when you have it, fold when you don't'' as even at the micro stakes you do get players that aren't stupid :o. I think if he caught something worth betting he would of here, i.e. an Ace or a flush draw. Given the pre flop raise. (however, he didn't bet his Ace on the flop which surprised me). Just for your information, if he had c-bet the flop i was planning on a big check raise to get the money in. On the turn i do think my play was somewhat questionable, given that i wanted max value on my hand.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think there is a variety of ways i could play this hand, which is why i posted on here. At least i got max value on my hand in the end :D

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, you do get times when players will call of with absolute junk. But, against certain players it is surely not optimal to ''bet when you have it, fold when you don't'' as even at the micro stakes you do get players that aren't stupid :o. I think if he caught something worth betting he would of here, i.e. an Ace or a flush draw. Given the pre flop raise. (however, he didn't bet his Ace on the flop which surprised me). Just for your information, if he had c-bet the flop i was planning on a big check raise to get the money in. On the turn i do think my play was somewhat questionable, given that i wanted max value on my hand. Thanks for the replies guys. I think there is a variety of ways i could play this hand, which is why i posted on here. At least i got max value on my hand in the end :D
    Posted by Swog
    Results orientated thinking FTW wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!
  • edited December 2011
    any pair and any draw is going to call u 9/10 on tht flop. Yes sometimes you will lose your customer. BUT DONT BE SCARED OF LOSING UR CUSTOMER.