You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK @ NL4 - Right to shove here?

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Hand History #448254835 (22:55 10/12/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PUTTERMANSmall blind £0.02£0.02£0.72
TINTINBig blind £0.04£0.06£3.80
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

cornwall01Fold    
scotOUTLAWRaise £0.40£0.46£5.89
EvilPinguAll-in £3.89£4.35£0.00
PUTTERMANAll-in £0.72£5.07£0.00
TINTINFold    
scotOUTLAWCall £3.49£8.56£2.40
PUTTERMANShow

scotOUTLAWShow

EvilPinguShow
  • A
  • K

Flop

• K
  • Q

Turn

River

scotOUTLAWWinThree 9s£7.91 £10.31

Comments

• edited December 2011
    I actually dont mond this at nl4. As long as you accept the fact that you are probably racing when called then it isnt that bad but i have done 20% of my roll previously with AK in these kind of spots so its a case of embracing the variance.

NL4 - its a profitable play so i think its ok. Not sure if it is good at a higher level, even NL8 or NL10.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: AK @ NL4 - Right to shove here?:
    I actually dont mond this at nl4. As long as you accept the fact that you are probably racing when called then it isnt that bad but i have done 20% of my roll previously with AK in these kind of spots so its a case of embracing the variance. NL4 - its a profitable play so i think its ok. Not sure if it is good at a higher level, even NL8 or NL10.
    Posted by DrSharp
    My time bar had almost expired by the time I had convinced myself to call, as I was trying to work out why he raised 10x, my first thought was actually to fold but the amount of times I've seen people doing that sort of thing with a rag ace, or even jamming with them, I thought I had to re-raise all in. At any other level I think I'd fold there tbh.
  • edited December 2011
    if ya in a gambling mood i would call if its ya last amount of money i would fold all depends how ya feeling for me its more then likely ya againts 2 pairs which ya were or a q ak and a pair i would call try n scooop a big pot 
  • edited December 2011

Much prefer 3betting small and getting it in if raised

• edited December 2011
    I'd make it £1.20 and snap shove.

Open shoving prevents them making a mistake, however as he's called with 99 here I'd say with A10+/KJ+ he makes same call so against their range it's probably a good shove.
  • edited December 2011
    3 bet, shove says a lot about your game )
  • edited December 2011

I'd shove too, min raising isn't gonna induce anything but calls behind from worse hands, and we miss the flop loads.

Shoving will get calls from alot worse though, that's just the way nl4 is.

wp imo.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd make it £1.20 and snap shove. Open shoving prevents them making a mistake, however as he's called with 99 here I'd say with A10+/KJ+ he makes same call so against their range it's probably a good shove.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    It's an easy call with 9's ) Sure he doesn't do this with any other prem hand

More often than not you fold out A10+/K10+ by shoving

I know it's NL4, but they can fold pre flop to a shove - but they can't fold on any flop they connect with

You may aswell 3 bet shove 10+ playing this way, which can't be bad if worse always calls )

Seems to cry out I don't wanna play AK IP in a 3 bet pot from the flop !!
    Is this good or bad :()
  • edited December 2011
    I'd shove too, min raising isn't gonna induce anything but calls behind from worse hands, and we miss the flop loads. Shoving will get calls from alot worse though, that's just the way nl4 is. wp imo.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This is pretty much the reason for shoving this hand in this spot at NL4. DOHHHHHHH just says it better than i do. lol.

If we raise again, not shoving, what do we do when we miss flop after being called? Shoving guarantees us seeing 5 cards and commits them to the hand. I just think at NL4 its the best play.
  • edited December 2011

We and the oppo are equally as likley to miss or hit flop so it's 1/3 oppo hits
    so 2/3 we win - even if oppo hits 1/3 we still have oppo dominated the majority so - we win
    do the math - we win long term

But if oppo has a pr then we are the underdog, how is this good )

Does the shove get called often enough by worse to make it profitable, or do we get called by prs/better too often to make it not so profitbale long term

something to think about: If we 3 bet or shove and in both situations the oppo calls with AQ and the flop comes Q high with no improvement for us - which is best long term - 3 bet or shove -

then switch it so the flop comes Ace high, no improvements for oppo and oppo always stacks