You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should I have called this hand, Discuss.......

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Looking at this hand after its finished, I should have called but I left them too it after thinking for a little bit. The hand previous I had just won a big pot and it left him short stacked.

I put him on AK AQ AJ and was trying to catch a big hand against the smaller stack and to get some of his lost chips back from me, He had been very loose so didnt like the look of my 88's

crapman09Small blind £0.05£0.05£2.94jcleggy24Big blind £0.10£0.15£9.43kainyBig blind £0.10£0.25£9.90 Your hole cards88   SueRooneyRaise £0.30£0.55£28.94kainyFold    molineuxmaFold    scrapman09Raise £0.45£1.00£2.49jcleggy24Raise £0.60£1.60£8.83SueRooneyCall £0.40£2.00£28.54scrapman09All-in £2.49£4.49£0.00jcleggy24Call £2.29£6.78£6.54SueRooneyFold    scrapman09ShowKA   jcleggy24Show55   Flop  2Q8   Turn  6   River  8   jcleggy24WinTwo Pairs, 8s and 5s£6.27 £12.81

Comments

• edited December 2011
    fold is fine, theres a decent argument to fold first time it gets back round to you imo (cant see stacksizes properly though)
  • edited December 2011
    Yep snap fold after 3 and 4bet allbe it awful size ones.

Also don't think you've played the hand badly just because you flopped set and rivered quads against AK you are about 50-50 and even if you're ahead of 55 like here it will be hard to play post flop if you don't hit 8 with money still behind.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: should I have called this hand, Discuss.......:
    Yep snap fold after 3 and 4bet allbe it awful size ones. Also don't think you've played the hand badly just because you flopped set and rivered quads against AK you are about 50-50 and even if you're ahead of 55 like here it will be hard to play post flop if you don't hit 8 with money still behind.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Yeah thats what I thought, but its just horrible to see the cards fall out like that, but the fact i had just one £20 the hand before meant I was very wary of a tilt and me losing a good chunk of my hard earn winnings. The AK was only on £3 and the winner of the hand with 55 had about £9, but i had just won the pot of him the hand before.

Thanks for the replies!
  • edited December 2011
    Fold is fine , most people would/should , IF im in a gambling mood i MAY just come over the top of the all-in caller and take a shot at this.
  • edited December 2011
    fold is fine here sue against a reraise and a all in ya likely to be against 1 over pair and a ak u woulda won but cant be results orientated 
  • edited December 2011
    Bad play imo.

You cant call after 2 raises and then fold to an all in, as ur just throwing money away you should either fold or shove to isolate after the 2 raises.

i think if u shove the guy with the 5's would probably fold and you would be in a race with the other guy.

However i dont think this hand wud be on the clinic if you wudnt of won pot (if you was in the hand)
  • edited December 2011
    Bob its easy to say that when you see their cards, good fold although i may have risked it but i am new to this
  • edited December 2011
    Yeh of course its easier when u see the cards..however how good does your pocket 8's look after a re-raise and a re-re-raise.

lets say for example they didnt go all in, if u dont hit an 8 on the flop your out of position and options are:

1. first to bet not knowing if u have the best hand or not if they call your bet what do u do on turn?

2.checking and folding to any bet they make.

its always best to play against 1 player which is why its best to isolate.

imo she's spent 70p or 7bb and havent even got to see a flop.

i am not saying its a bad fold, just saying its best to fold after the 2 raises
  • edited December 2011
    Yeh of course its easier when u see the cards..however how good does your pocket 8's look after a re-raise and a re-re-raise. lets say for example they didnt go all in, if u dont hit an 8 on the flop your out of position and options are: 1. first to bet not knowing if u have the best hand or not if they call your bet what do u do on turn? 2.checking and folding to any bet they make. its always best to play against 1 player which is why its best to isolate. imo she's spent 70p or 7bb and havent even got to see a flop. i am not saying its a bad fold, just saying its best to fold after the 2 raises
    Posted by Bobsicool3
    its not always best to play against one player, this would prob be quite a good spot to play against more than 1.  Whether she folds or calls will depend on how likely 3bettor is to flat behind and how good her implied odds are v bigger stack. I think on balance though folding to the 4bet is best, unless shes pretty sure it wont get raised behind
  • edited December 2011
    I really dont like how u've played this

Initial raise isnt really enough, call fine after but then your getting 4/1 if u call all in and call which is fine as long as u know ur probably behind but if you hit a 8 or favourable flop eg. 567. 

Your folds not bad but i dont like how the hands been played flop would of been very straight forward to play if u call and miss or hit. 

Also i think you may have posted as an 8 come down. 

• edited December 2011
    Yeh of course its easier when u see the cards..however how good does your pocket 8's look after a re-raise and a re-re-raise. lets say for example they didnt go all in, if u dont hit an 8 on the flop your out of position and options are: 1. first to bet not knowing if u have the best hand or not if they call your bet what do u do on turn? 2.checking and folding to any bet they make. its always best to play against 1 player which is why its best to isolate. imo she's spent 70p or 7bb and havent even got to see a flop. i am not saying its a bad fold, just saying its best to fold after the 2 raises
    Posted by Bobsicool3
    Yeah you are spot on with your post i agree with everything you said, thanks for replying!!
  • edited December 2011
    Stick it all in pre flop when it comes back round to you

raise sizes are pathetic and when leggy flats the all in, like what !!! 

stick it to em )

i think you have enough equity v there range to be making this shove, even if you behind to one hand
    But I could be so very wrong, not stoved it !! 
    Depends what range you put em both on !!