You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dym early stages should i call this turn bet

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
irons_fanSmall blind 25.0025.00815.00IDONKCALLUBig blind 50.0075.001755.00 Your hole cardsKQ   crook1Fold    masterkevFold    rustybuletRaise 100.00175.001635.00wayne1958Call 100.00275.001920.00irons_fanFold    IDONKCALLUCall 50.00325.001705.00Flop  K59   IDONKCALLUCheck    rustybuletBet 100.00425.001535.00wayne1958Call 100.00525.001820.00IDONKCALLUCall 100.00625.001605.00Turn  8   IDONKCALLUCheck    rustybuletBet 312.50937.501222.50wayne1958Fold    IDONKCALLUFold    rustybuletMuck    rustybuletWin 625.00 1847.50rustybuletReturn 312.500.002160.0

Comments

• edited December 2011
    You've got yourself in to a horrible here situation...

I think you've played it too passively so you're underrepping your hand and it's hard to know where you are and this is why I hate the spot, I think you can probably just fold here and wait for a better spot

• edited December 2011
    well im not going to rearaise preflop after a raise i only called because i was big blind was a strong bet so thought a k maybe a set so sigh folded 
  • edited December 2011
    The bet on the turn is only half pot but yeah the problem is preflop all you've had is a min-raise from the CO, a call from the button and then you so you stand to be up against some VERY wide ranges and in a DYM I just don't think you need to take these risks where you have no idea where you are.
  • edited December 2011
    yeah true i ended up cashing i made a discipline fold i knew if i calld that turn bet then id have to call a bet on the river 
  • edited December 2011
    i stack off

because, these days im incapable of folding
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    You called with KQ what better flop did you want, you have to lead out here or C/R IMO the check on the flop was a mistake. Its DYM so if he comes back over the top of you an easy fold.
  • edited December 2011
    I personlly fold preflop.

With these sort of hands I like to be the preflop raiser and IP this lets me be able to cbet as opposed to just hoping I hit but also control pot if I want to aswell.

Yes folding pre is uber tight but unless you're happy to get it in/call and call river here you shouldn't be playing the hand as this board is great for you.

DYM all about survival, guy sat with 815 and two who are a bit above and below your stack so not cut adrift by ant means.
  • edited December 2011
    all is ok, fold is terrible )

all in on turn
  • edited December 2011
    the thing here is like dude said its a dym all about survival if this was a sit n go top 2 pay im shoving here all day long but as i still think i could cash no point risking my  life going all in when i could be dead 
  • edited December 2011
    no reads shanxta every 1 been playing pretty tight on table 
  • edited December 2011
    This one for me is very marginal. As Shanx says, reads would be helpful here. I was going to say I check/call it down (begrudgingly, particularly a decent bet on the river) and, tbh, I probably do. I was going to say that you're prob up against KJ, K10, K8 or AK, AA, K9 roughly half of the time each, with the hands you beat just shading it. But looking again at the hand I would probably say that it would still be about half each but with the hands that beat you shading it.

The min raise pre-flop is one of those things that can be a worry or it can be meaningless. Then he leads out into 2 opponents, on the weak side. I'm happy to flat this to keep the pot as small as possible. Then he 1/2 pots the turn, still vs 2 opponents. This worries me a bit. When people increase the tempo on the turn I think it often means they like their hand very much and they've just realised they need to get some money in the pot, as their weakish bet on the flop didn't induce the desired action. I would say this was particularly the case when they do it into 2 opponents, having lost none on the flop. Of course, a KJ, K10 could easily like his hand on the turn, still, making it tricky.

This hand more than anything highlights the dangers of playing hands like these, particularly in raised pots. FWIW, I don't mind the call pre-flop too much, it's a great price for a decent hand. I'm definately looking for spades or 2 pairs, though. As it is, I probably call the turn and call anything upto half pot on the river, calling myself a massive donk all of the (many) times I'm behind here.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Dym early stages should i call this turn bet:
    You called with KQ what better flop did you want, you have to lead out here or C/R IMO the check on the flop was a mistake. Its DYM so if he comes back over the top of you an easy fold.
    Posted by waynec
    u cant' check raise and then fold
  • edited December 2011
    This one for me is very marginal. As Shanx says, reads would be helpful here. I was going to say I check/call it down (begrudgingly, particularly a decent bet on the river) and, tbh, I probably do. I was going to say that you're prob up against KJ, K10, K8 or AK, AA, K9 roughly half of the time each, with the hands you beat just shading it. But looking again at the hand I would probably say that it would still be about half each but with the hands that beat you shading it. The min raise pre-flop is one of those things that can be a worry or it can be meaningless. Then he leads out into 2 opponents, on the weak side. I'm happy to flat this to keep the pot as small as possible. Then he 1/2 pots the turn, still vs 2 opponents. This worries me a bit. When people increase the tempo on the turn I think it often means they like their hand very much and they've just realised they need to get some money in the pot, as their weakish bet on the flop didn't induce the desired action. I would say this was particularly the case when they do it into 2 opponents, having lost none on the flop. Of course, a KJ, K10 could easily like his hand on the turn, still, making it tricky. This hand more than anything highlights the dangers of playing hands like these, particularly in raised pots. FWIW, I don't mind the call pre-flop too much, it's a great price for a decent hand. I'm definately looking for spades or 2 pairs, though. As it is, I probably call the turn and call anything upto half pot on the river, calling myself a massive donk all of the (many) times I'm behind here.
    Posted by JohnConnor

c/c turn is far better than c/r imo

calling this and re evaluating on river is prob d best option

• edited December 2011
    good post john connor i called the preflop bet k q spades is nice hand and i was big blind of 50 already so was only 50 to call when flop came k high i just called the bet for pot control and then turn bet i thought to myself i havent invested much into the pot still have a playable stack to easily get top 3 the villain put a good strong bet on the turn made it a tricky spot for me because i make this call on the turn more then likely i have to call a river if its a blank ( brick ) and would leave me a mountain to climb to make top 3 so i decided to make a disciplined fold 
  • edited December 2011

Personally here,  im definately calling the turn.
    I fold to almost any river bet tho bigger than 400 tho. (unless river is k or q of course), Hes raised pre, so its likely hes gonig to c/bet any flop, and could easily just be contiuing again on the turn, since none of you showed any strength. He could easy have 77 1010 jj  or aven a q, a j here,

If he does bet the river after a blank however, hes probably has got it !  so easy fold,   Id hes 3 barelling with nothing, fair play to him.

• edited December 2011
    if it wasnt a dym 1267 i would shove 100 per cent of the time as dyms are about survival thats y i folded didnt wanna put half my stack in and lose wehn i lost the minimum and still have a decnt stack to get top 3 the any other sit n go or mtt in this scenario im all in on the turn or even call turn call river 
  • edited December 2011
    if it wasnt a dym 1267 i would shove 100 per cent of the time as dyms are about survival thats y i folded didnt wanna put half my stack in and lose wehn i lost the minimum and still have a decnt stack to get top 3 the any other sit n go or mtt in this scenario im all in on the turn or even call turn call river 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

I think your call is fine for 2pr/str8/flush value, but when you flop top pair it turns into a potential trap hand. I would be fine to fold the flop with little invested - nitty though that may seem

If the villain is in the habit of bluffing two opponents he's unlikely to go the distance anyway