You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making money

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Do you make money playing poker? What do you play? cash, mtt or stt.
I think most of the forum regs make a small amount of money or break even and get free entertainment.
I would like to know where people think we can make the most money playing poker and why this would be the best/easiest way.

DYM.  These are low variance and a bit dull/robotic to play but i do think we can make money playing these.  I have only played a few over the last week and over my time at skypoker i have broke even (i think). 
I have had a mess about with sharkscope and i am a little shocked, one guy has played 18k games all around the £5.50 mark and is showing a profit of around $1800 (£1200 ish).  This guy is one of if not the best at these stakes for DYM.  He has paid £9000 in rake to make £1200.  What you think of this? waste of time and effort? should a winning player make more money than the site? I think a winning player should make more than he/she pays in rake.  A higher stakes wining DYM person.  This guy is well known as the best dym player on site he has played 19k games and has $80k profit, with a ROI of 2%, so the site make 10% on every game he plays but he makes 2% per game.

CASH.  Im sure most of you will say cash and i sort of agree.  Why do i not agree in full?  If you can beat £50nl+ then yes it is the best way to make money.  As we move up in stakes in cash the rake will effect us less and less.
A all in pre with 100bb at 10nl we pay 7.5% rake, a all in pre with 100bb at 100nl we pay <1% in rake.  Can we beat 7.5% rake in cash i think it can be done but once again do i mind if the site makes more out of me than i do? Yes, i do think i should make more money for me than for the site.

MTT.  By far the most fun way to play poker and also high variance.  I think this could be the best way to make money, why?  When most people start playing poker where do they play? mtt esp on sky as so many mtt are on TV.
Also the chance to get a big score with a small outlay will attract worse players.

Would like peoples thoughts on this.  Should we accept that the site will make more money than us? am i wanting/expecting too much from poker?

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Hi mate i am defo down at both mtt's and stt's , but not by much over a 2 and a half yr period , i reckon over all im at least a break even player as my cash play is where i make money.
  • edited December 2011
    im with debs here my mtts is just over break even, my sngs well dont go there! cash is where i have been semi succesful. as a recreational player any year i dont have to put money into an online account is a good year!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Making money:
    Do you make money playing poker? What do you play? cash, mtt or stt. I think most of the forum regs make a small amount of money or break even and get free entertainment. I would like to know where people think we can make the most money playing poker and why this would be the best/easiest way. DYM.  These are low variance and a bit dull/robotic to play but i do think we can make money playing these.  I have only played a few over the last week and over my time at skypoker i have broke even (i think).  I have had a mess about with sharkscope and i am a little shocked, one guy has played 18k games all around the £5.50 mark and is showing a profit of around $1800 (£1200 ish).  This guy is one of if not the best at these stakes for DYM.  He has paid £9000 in rake to make £1200.  What you think of this? waste of time and effort? should a winning player make more money than the site? I think a winning player should make more than he/she pays in rake.  A higher stakes wining DYM person.  This guy is well known as the best dym player on site he has played 19k games and has $80k profit, with a ROI of 2%, so the site make 10% on every game he plays but he makes 2% per game. CASH.  Im sure most of you will say cash and i sort of agree.  Why do i not agree in full?  If you can beat £50nl+ then yes it is the best way to make money.  As we move up in stakes in cash the rake will effect us less and less. A all in pre with 100bb at 10nl we pay 7.5% rake, a all in pre with 100bb at 100nl we pay <1% in rake.  Can we beat 7.5% rake in cash i think it can be done but once again do i mind if the site makes more out of me than i do? Yes, i do think i should make more money for me than for the site. MTT.  By far the most fun way to play poker and also high variance.  I think this could be the best way to make money, why?  When most people start playing poker where do they play? mtt esp on sky as so many mtt are on TV. Also the chance to get a big score with a small outlay will attract worse players. Would like peoples thoughts on this.  Should we accept that the site will make more money than us? am i wanting/expecting too much from poker?
    Posted by freechips1

not to sure about this

• edited December 2011
    Shanxta, i use the 2 dym players as a example as these 2 have massive volume, one is high stakes and the other is low stakes.  Im sure there are beter £5.50 dym players but cant think of any with that sort or volume.  If i had posted a player who has played 400 games who had a ROI of 15% then peeps would just say he hasnt put enough volume in.
  • edited December 2011
    I am up in every format actually (I'm really not bragging here) but by a really really tiny amount considering the amount of time I've put in...

I've been playing pretty regular for years and I think I'm about £50+ in MTTs

about £50+ at SnGs and DYMs

and about break even at cash

So why you might ask do I play cash all the time when it's my least profitable format lol.... well I'm trying to improve my cash game and to be honest, I think I'm only break even because of my early losses when I knew even less than I do now!

This doesn't include C4P but all in all, I'd say I'm only about £150 up after 2-3 years lol... but it's much better than being down, it's great fun and it's free for me!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in profit at all types of poker, not to any massive degree but it's enough that I will NEVER have to deposit to play which is the main thing I wanted to achieve at the start.

Being pretty much a solely micro-stakes player the idea of losing due to the rake never really comes into my thinking, the way I see it if I'm winning I'm winning and be happy as many aren't even doing that.
  • edited December 2011
    dyms are not low variance,  if one of the best players as you say has a ROI of 2%, then he is going to experience massive swongs
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Making money:
    dyms are not low variance,  if one of the best players as you say has a ROI of 2%, then he is going to experience massive swongs
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Yeah I'll agree with this definitely. DYMs are VERY 'swongy' lol regardless of how good you are. Many would say JC is brilliant and yet I've seen him post on his diary having played a session of 10 games and lost 9 of them.
  • edited December 2011
    Top side of break even at cash, stt's and mtt's, but strictly at low stakes and not by much on any of them. Mtt's my best profit at the moment and my best enjoyment.

Started in early 2010, and at the end of 2011 I'm probably a better player than I was a year ago, and I've made a bit more profit this year. If I can say the same again in 12 months time I won't be too unhappy.

Has to be the most fascinating yet frustrating hobby I've had in my life.

The game will probably never make me rich and famous but if I can have a bit of fun without it making me poorer then it's OK by me.
  • edited December 2011
    i think if you are on for the long hall and want to make a steady profit then its deffo dyms for me 6 tables at a time click fold for most of them till it gets 4 handed then try and survive to top 3 but if u wanna make a quick buck then its gotta be cash tables it all depends on your game really if your tight passive player then i think its dyms all the way if your loose aggro and have alot of moves maybe heads up or cash 
  • edited December 2011
    i think if you are on for the long hall and want to make a steady profit then its deffo dyms for me 6 tables at a time click fold for most of them till it gets 4 handed then try and survive to top 3 but if u wanna make a quick buck then its gotta be cash tables it all depends on your game really if your tight passive player then i think its dyms all the way if your loose aggro and have alot of moves maybe heads up or cash 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Sorry Donk it must feel like I'm following you around moaning at you lol but I think this is a horribe comment to make. Cash is clearly the best and most reliable way to make a steady profit, hency why most good players play it to fund their other activities. DYMs are pretty swingy regardless of how tight you play
  • edited December 2011
    i know what ya mean but if i make a deposit of say i dunno £30 id rather grind away on dyms till u build ya roll up or even play the £1.10 mts and try cash in that  then play on a  cash table could easily lose it on a cash table with only takes a couple of bad beats 
  • edited December 2011
    If we're talking sky specifically then for me it is cash games 100%. 

Next on sky it is sngs.  If we look at player "wrongjohn1" who has played 18k sngs with $1.3k in profits but raked around $12.5k we should assume that over these 18k games he could have achieved about $7.6k total profit from 18,000 games if he gets his cash4points high enough each month, 42c per game.  Pretty good imo.  Although saying that I have no idea of what volume is achievable.  When I played MTTsngs on stars I would play about 100 in 6 hours  Assuming he can play that volume he makes about $7/hr.

MTTs would usually be my second choice after cashgames for me but on sky the schedule is lolbad.  I think if I played MTTs only on sky I'd struggle to pay for the electricity consumed!  I do however play the 8pm tournament almost nightly alongside my millions of cashgame tables and you should definitely sharkscope me if you want a laugh! (in b4 hu4rollz request)

IMO on another network, lets pick pokerstars, for absolute $ profit per hour out of the same size bankroll it goes SNG/MTT/cashgame.  The reason being that the cashgames on that site are close to unbeatable.  lol@anyone who says that sky is tougher than other networks....

Assuming a $1k bankroll I'd play $11 sngs and under, $5 mtts and under and 25 or 50nl if I didn't like money.  Im almost certain SNGs would be best over a large sample
  • edited December 2011
    I found the game last christmas so i am coming up to my 1st anniversary.

I started out with SnG's with micro stakes DYM's and bountyhunters. I think this shows as i think sharkscope has me down at SnG's. Not much but its a loss.

I also played a few cash games at the beginning and this is where i can be found mostly for the last 6 months and considering the fact that i have only got £5 for cash 4 points all year (and that was October) i have managed to turn an £8 starting balance in to £240. I think that proves that the 7.5% rake at micro stakes can be beaten even by me.

I have to say that probably 1/3rd of that balance has come from small MTT's which i never seem comfortable in but have been told i should play alot more.

Be interesting to hear some views that may be different to this but i have heard that the pro's seem to make more money from the rake back (C4P) than at the tables so the fact that the site takes the rake maybe beneficial to some people who make a living from these promotions. Sounds stupid but i have heard this. Maybe some of the big guns may shed some light on this. Would the top players on the site play on another site that doesnt take rake or be happy taking the guarantee'd income every month from rake back deals?
  • edited December 2011
    I found the game last christmas so i am coming up to my 1st anniversary. I started out with SnG's with micro stakes DYM's and bountyhunters. I think this shows as i think sharkscope has me down at SnG's. Not much but its a loss. I also played a few cash games at the beginning and this is where i can be found mostly for the last 6 months and considering the fact that i have only got £5 for cash 4 points all year (and that was October) i have managed to turn an £8 starting balance in to £240. I think that proves that the 7.5% rake at micro stakes can be beaten even by me. I have to say that probably 1/3rd of that balance has come from small MTT's which i never seem comfortable in but have been told i should play alot more. Be interesting to hear some views that may be different to this but i have heard that the pro's seem to make more money from the rake back (C4P) than at the tables so the fact that the site takes the rake maybe beneficial to some people who make a living from these promotions. Sounds stupid but i have heard this. Maybe some of the big guns may shed some light on this. Would the top players on the site play on another site that doesnt take rake or be happy taking the guarantee'd income every month from rake back deals?
    Posted by DrSharp
    The big players do make a decent amount from C4P but there's no way it's there main income and C4P should never be your main income if you're a good player. They play higher levels so earn more points but equally they should be winning more money also so alot of these pros who take down big C4P, to them it's only gonna be say 5 BIs on their chosen cash table.

And they would definitely go and play on a site that didn't take rake if one existed, but they don't, that's how poker sites make money. All poker rooms live or online will take rake. Just some of the online sites don't give you rakeback in the way of actual cash, it's usually stuff like tournament entries.
  • edited December 2011
    Personally i'd way DYMs are the way forward !  but thats just coz i suck at cash ...

If multi-tabling Dym's (when there filling),  its pretty easy to make tidy winnings.   I started at 5 n 11 dyms, and soon moved up to 33 n 55s,  can be very swingy at times, but can achieve a massive C4P score aswell !! 

DYM for the win.