You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha Starting Hand

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'm trying to play a bit of Omaha, both for fun and also to improve my all around game particularly with a view to analysing the texture of a board and calculating draws / outs etc. (Which incidentally I would highly recommend to others)

Anyway..... to the point of the thread, I am very much a player that understands Holdem pretty well an am playing Omaha by applying Holdem logic which in the main is enough to see you through tbh.  Although it does raise interetsing questions over relative stregth of starting hands such as this one, the hand itself is pretty dull but I'd like thoughts on the starting hand itself, obviously it's very playable but have I overvalued it in my mind by rating it as a premium, premium hand (ie 2 premium hands)?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
niceonej03 Small blind  75.00 75.00 4322.50
paul312603 Big blind  150.00 225.00 1700.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A
  • K
  • A

Slykllist Raise  450.00 675.00 3570.00
niceonej03 Fold     
paul312603 Fold     
Slykllist Muck     
Slykllist Win  375.00  3945.00
Slykllist Return  300.00 0.00 4245.00

Comments

• edited December 2011
      The first thing to say is that your starting hand is WEAK.

Out of your 6 possible hands you only have 2 live AA and AKs. This makes it quite weak and added to the fact that you have a third Ace in your hand means you are effectively throwing away one of your outs.

As the hand plays out you got realistically the best result possible with everyone folding.This is not a hand i would like to play post flop after missing the flop(which you will do a very large amount of the time with this type of hand.

If you want examples of premium starting hands in omah then you would be looking for hands like  AAKQds or 89TJds.These have a high number of good nut drawing hands available.

Hands to avoid playing are ones that have 3 or 4 of a kind or 3 or 4 of the same suit,This is because you are playing hands in which you are folding your outs so you have less chance to hit your draws.
  • edited December 2011
    this is a bad starting hand for so many reasons 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Omaha Starting Hand:
    this is a bad starting hand for so many reasons 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Ah..... constructive advice, thanks for the help!
  • edited December 2011
    lol short n sweet best hand is ak j q double suited i wouldnt play this because only 1 more ace in the deck and the chances of hitting it on the flop very unlikely so more often then not your not gonna hit a piece on the flop so may aswell fold 
  • edited December 2011
    So, is the advice that a raise pre is wrong with this hand?

The way I see it, I have AA and AK suited, I understand all the other stuff but I'd still think a raise pre-flop is OK?
  • edited December 2011
    personally i wouldnt raise i would just call tbut thats me in omaha i like to see flops no hand is a good hand untill the flop comes way i see it if i dnt hit 2 pair or up n down str8 draw or flush draw or a set im folding 1 apir is never good in omaha so thats why im saying hard for u to hit a set so worth a call just incase it comes down all spades or all high cards 
  • edited December 2011
    setmine if 3bet
  • edited December 2011

In Response to Re: Omaha Starting Hand:
    So, is the advice that a raise pre is wrong with this hand? The way I see it, I have AA and AK suited, I understand all the other stuff but I'd still think a raise pre-flop is OK?
    Posted by Slykllist
    The thing you gotta remember is that Omaha is a drawing game. In Hold 'Em when you have AA, you've got a very good chance of winning (even if you don't improve) if there is 2 or 3 people in the pot.

In Omaha, the chances of you winning with 1 pair by the river is virtually zero and by having the 3rd A, you've taken one out away for you to get a set. So basically AK is the only hand you're playing here.

In Omaha you have 6 possible combinations with a good hand EG. with AKJT double suited, you are playing AK, AJ, AT, KJ, KT, JT AND 2 possible flush draws. These are the kinda hands that are strong and you wanna be raising with. You're starting here has very little chance of improving and you NEED to improve on the flop in Omaha. Hand rankings completely change in Omaha, if you play alot of hands, you're gonna be seeing sets/trips/FHs/straights/flushes virtually every single hand.

The strong hands to look out for that you're raising with are things like 3478 double suited (ds), 2389ds, 45QJds and so on.

Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    fold this hand pre! You only have the spade flush draw and maybe broadway at best.
  • edited December 2011
    OK guys, thanks all for the advice, as I said am very much still learning Omaha and only reallyu using it as a tool to improve my Holdem.

Cheers