You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bank roll control

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
what is meant by bank roll/ bank roll control

Comments

• edited December 2011
    basically bankroll is what ya should play withing out of the money you have in your account they say you shoulnt play any less then 5 per cent of your bankroll so for instance if you have £100 in your account = bankroll u should only be playing 4 nl cash which is a buy in of maximum £4 or £5 sit n goes but i think its low percentage i think playing within 10 per cent of your bankroll is fine aslong as your controlled and disciplined about it if u lose a hand and get unlucky so £100 would be 10 nl 5p/10p cash and try and build on your bankroll best of luck steve aka idonkcallu
  • edited December 2011
    £100 is WAY too little for 10NL - fact!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Bank roll control:
    £100 is WAY too little for 10NL - fact!
    Posted by Lambert180
    Totally agree with this. I would never be entertaining 10NL with £100!! I dont mind playing £5.50 DYM with £100, cos there is much less variance.

If cash is ur only game, then you can play NL4, but I wanna be at the very least doubling my bankroll before I enter NL10. imo
  • edited December 2011
    i dont think it is if your confident on that level and think u can win on that level then i think £100 is fine on 10 nl
  • edited December 2011
    i dont think it is if your confident on that level and think u can win on that level then i think £100 is fine on 10 nl
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    It's not a question of confidence, it's a question of variance in cash poker. You might very well go on to double your £100 then you can afford to take a hit at some point but (if the poker gods choose it) you could easily take that hit as soon as you start playing and have your £100 BR down to £40 in 1 session... then what dya do, play with 25% of your bankroll on 1 table?
  • edited December 2011
    i know what ya saying but i think if ya a good player i think £100 is fine on 10nl just 2 tabling i find 4nl harder to win then 10nl does that sound strange i just do i find it easier on 10 nl and 20nl people respect your bets and are willing to lay down hands on 4nl u cant bluff basically if u hit a monster more then likely u will get paid of 4nl is all about pateince and waiting for big hands because u know not many people fold on that level and will pay u of i cant play 4nl myself find it a hard grind 
  • edited December 2011
    i know what ya saying but i think if ya a good player i think £100 is fine on 10nl just 2 tabling i find 4nl harder to win then 10nl does that sound strange i just do i find it easier on 10 nl and 20nl people respect your bets and are willing to lay down hands on 4nl u cant bluff basically if u hit a monster more then likely u will get paid of 4nl is all about pateince and waiting for big hands because u know not many people fold on that level and will pay u of i cant play 4nl myself find it a hard grind 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Sorry but I disagree, I think if you give Phil Ivey, Eric Lui, Negreanu (whoever ya like) £100 and tell them to 2table 10NL, alot of the times they'll do well and build a big enough BR to play but sometimes thanks to nothing other than variance they will go bust and the whole idea of bankroll management is to stop variance making you go bust. If I doubt the above players could do it, then I would seriuosly not suggest anyone on here doing it.
  • edited December 2011

iv never had good br control, i have def played in games mtt/sng or cash which i should most def not even looked at. it is an area i need to improve on, and will do one day, maybe

• edited December 2011
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    1. comment statement said by many
    2. bluffing can be done,just gotta pick spots n keep it to the min

if u had £100 id stick to nl4, it gives u a good start n stops u from hitting a immediate downswing, put a good few hours in n that bankroll easy doubles n lets u take shots higher up
  • edited December 2011
    To the OP, if you register an account with sky and you get a free £5 and you dont deposit anything else then you have a 'roll' of £5.

As for managing bankroll, it is certainly one of the key aspects of the game. You can be the best poker player that ever lived but if you cant manage your money then you will soon go bankrupt and have to start again. For instance, if the best player in the world has a roll of $1 million but cant help but sit at a table where it is $500k buy in and suffers a couple of real horrific beats then his whole role has disappeared in two sessions and the poor player has gone busto. 

If the same player with the same roll only sits at tables with a buy-in of $40k/$50k then a couple of horrific beats only costs him around 10% of his roll and he is still in the game. This player has an edge, he is the best player in the world, and he will win at the game long term so without putting too large a % of his bankroll in play he practically guarantees he is going to make money at the game.

Decent BR management, in my honest opinion, is to keep around 20-25 buy ins for cash games so a proper roll for 2p/4p tables would be between £80-100. If you grind it up to £160-200 then 4p/8p beckons and so on.

EDIT - One more thing which can be very important is what you are playing for. If you are playing MTT's just for fun or fancy a bit of a fun night in now and again on the poker tables but just want it as a recreational hobby then dont worry about bankrolls. Just play with what you can afford to lose so if that is a tenner a week then that is your roll for the week. Not everyone needs a strict BR management. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Bank roll control : Totally agree with this. I would never be entertaining 10NL with £100!! I dont mind playing £5.50 DYM with £100, cos there is much less variance. If cash is ur only game, then you can play NL4, but I wanna be at the very least doubling my bankroll before I enter NL10. imo
    Posted by ricky1984
    I second that, playing NL10 with only £100 isnt a good idea, the variance will be too high and if you have a downswing you only got 10 buy-ins covered at that level so theres a strong possibility you will go broke.
    Ive had downswings where ive lost 15 buy-ins over a few days mate, and ive only pulled it all back and more some by dropping down a level and sticking to only 3% max of my total roll to ride it out.

• edited December 2011

have to agree here, I wouldnt attempt playing NL10 with £100....

Although my BR is alot smaller than this (£25 a month goes in then I draw out whatevers left at end of month and start again)

I lost £17 the other night in 2 hours just playing 2p/4p luckily my BR was at £60 odd at this time so the loss didnt feel like a massive loss but if i lost at the same ratio on NL10 then that would be a big hit... (although still was a big hit on my BR)

Also I like to play MTT alot which doesnt help

• edited December 2011
    If and i do mean If ya are a very good cash player then i agree with idonkcallu that you can play nl10 with a £100 roll , how do i know ?? cos ive been doin it for months.

Dont mean that i would advise ANYONE to do it , but it is possible.

Obv you have to be very very controlled , ie lose a buy-in and pack up for the night.

You also have to be able to NOT go for too many drawing hands that could descimate ure stack.

I have on occasions played with a roll of less than £200 in my account and on ONE night played nl10 through to nl50 , and i have NEVER gone busto on that given night.

In fact i havnt ever lost more than 25% of that in one night , and on most occasions i have been in profit for the night.
  • edited December 2011
    If and i do mean If ya are a very good cash player then i agree with idonkcallu that you can play nl10 with a £100 roll , how do i know ?? cos ive been doin it for months. Dont mean that i would advise ANYONE to do it , but it is possible. Obv you have to be very very controlled , ie lose a buy-in and pack up for the night. You also have to be able to NOT go for too many drawing hands that could descimate ure stack. I have on occasions played with a roll of less than £200 in my account and on ONE night played nl10 through to nl50 , and i have NEVER gone busto on that given night. In fact i havnt ever lost more than 25% of that in one night , and on most occasions i have been in profit for the night.
    Posted by debdobs_67
    This is why it is bad as if you have a decent roll you can lose a big hand to the table fish then simply reload and win it back and more. Deciding to stop when you lose a BI is playing with scared money and as many will tell you that is a bad way to play cash.

Also good for you that you managed not to lose it all, that night was where variance went your way, but I wouldn't advise ANYONE to follow this strategy. 
  • edited December 2011
    op google it !!

If you can afford to lose £100 playing NL10 then go for it !!!

If you can't play NL4 with £100

simples

anything between 1-5% is fine for sound BRM

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Bank roll control : This is why it is bad as if you have a decent roll you can lose a big hand to the table fish then simply reload and win it back and more. Deciding to stop when you lose a BI is playing with scared money and as many will tell you that is a bad way to play cash. Also good for you that you managed not to lose it all, that night was where variance went your way, but I wouldn't advise ANYONE to follow this strategy. 
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Who said anything about bein scared ?? i am more than rolled to play these limits (i just DO NOT keep it all on sky) I was sayin that it IS possible to play this limit without goin broke and not keepin more than £100 on ure account.

You also need very gd notes on oppos gameplay , i told ya in the past ive spent many many many hours just watching tables and note takin at most levels of cash.

How many times have you posted a hand in here and said 'READLESS' at the beginning ??

How many times have you seen me put 'READLESS' ??

Prob a ratio of 20/1 in your favour , thats how i can survive with a less than £100 balance on my account , so all im sayin is if i can do it then obv so can others.
  • edited December 2011
    Well obviously if you can just reload that changes it quite a bit, suggesting to you're average joe to play NL10 with £100 that amounts to you're whole roll is not a good thing imo.

Also as for reads yes I don't have many but this is due to using very good table selection where I'm playing awful players and therefore don't require them. 
  • edited December 2011
    i been playing with 10 bins for yrs. aint a problem as long as you can afford to re load

• edited December 2011
    i been playing with 10 bins for yrs. aint a problem as long as you can afford to re load
    Posted by pod1
    The problem I have with this (and what Debs said) is that you can't say it's fine to play 10NL with £100 because it's not my whole bankroll. If it's not you're whole bankroll then you're not playing 10NL with £100, you're playing it with £500 or whatever it is you have stashed away. Just cos it's not in the site, doesn't mean it's not in our roll so you're not actually playing with 10BIs, you might be playing with 30,40,50 (whatever) BIs but they just aint in the site at this point in time.

Your average joe, like the OP, will probably not be happy to blow £100 at 10NL due to a bit of a downswing and think 'no worries, I'll just deposit another £100'
  • edited December 2011
    Posted by pod1
    This post tilts me sooo bad lol
  • edited December 2011
    yea i deffo thick if u are good player u can play10nl wif 100 just as long u are very competent player but if u are just starting then 100 quid at 4nl is right thing to for me
  • edited December 2011
    I have a question i would like to add to this thread. If i want to play two tables at once let say at 5/10 does my bankroll need to be 400 imstead of 200, or is 200 stil ok?
  • edited December 2011
    wiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, i finally tilted dude! on a serious note when i say 10 bins i mean if i play next level up from my normal level. at the mo im playing nl30 (rolled properly) but i will play nl50 for a session or 2. think it makes moving up levels far easier, adds to br faster if winning , your able to get notes on players BEFORE you play them full time and more importantly mentally it doesnt feel like a massive jump when you move up. smooth transition i think they call it.
    on a negative side mind, if you are taking regular shots at the next level up and lose a few sessions STOP! as it will kill your br (must learn this bit!)
  • edited December 2011
    Posted by pod1
    Thats the whole point of bankroll management, so you dont go broke and have to keep reloading.
    And you go broke because you havent got Roll Control to manage your variance.