You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 vs NL8 vs NL10

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I started playing cash earlier this year and settled into making a steady profit at NL4.

When my bankroll allowed I moved up to NL8, but I have never managed to beat this level. I've not made massive losses, but just can't seem to get into profit.

By dipping back into NL4 and also playing SnGs I eventually managed to build a bankroll to tackle NL10.

Since moving up to NL10 I haven't looked back. My win rate (in BB per 100 hands) is way better than at NL4, albeit over less hands so far.

I don't feel that I have been particularly lucky. I genuinely feel that are more (or at least more obvious) fishy players at NL10, certainly compared to NL8 and maybe even NL4.

Does anybody else share this view? Or have I just not been playing at this level long enough? 

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Its a strange one. I too find NL4 reasonably easy but at NL8 i have only managed a very small profit over the last 3 to 4 months. I have found NL10 to be slightly easier than NL8 myself and have made a larger profir than at NL8 over a shorter time. 

Maybe the amount of tables running makes the difference. I struggle to find 'easy' tables at NL8 as there arent many running. There always seems to be a few regs on each table and i think its down to a lack of choice. Usually there are only between 2 and 6 tables running when i play. There always seems to be more at NL10 and therefore table selection is easier. Dunno, just a thought.

I am however convinced that NL8 is cursed as the variance at that level is pure evil at times. All i seem to get is runner runner straight or runner runner flush or full house over full house or AA cracked by KK! I am sure that if you take just half of my horrific beats away at this level i would easily be another couple of hundred up! lol.
  • edited December 2011
    I've only recently moved up to nl8 (a month or 2) and am probably breaking even or small loss I think.
    It is difficult to judge as I find it difficult to get a seat when I want to as there are so few tables open at this level. I find I have to start on nl4 and sometimes when a seat comes up i am too involved in the tables I am on to bother.
    i do find nl8 is more agressive but that could be because there are few tables so I am playing regs?

I am goig to keep trying nl8 but like you go back to nl4 and see if I can build up enough of a roll to have a go at nl10. Not sure how much I will need as I am a bit of a br nit!

Good luck
  • edited December 2011
    Table selection FTW
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 vs NL8 vs NL10:
    Table selection FTW
    Posted by rancid
    Don't normally do this but +1 ;).
  • edited December 2011
    Table selection FTW
    Posted by rancid
    Can you elaborate?

I have my own criteria for choosing tables but would be intereted in yours at this level.

Z.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 vs NL8 vs NL10 : Can you elaborate? I have my own criteria for choosing tables but would be intereted in yours at this level. Z.
    Posted by ZedsDeadBa
    /avoid regulars as much as possible, unless you just fancy a dig at em )
    look for the ez money
    Look through tables - join waiting lists, don't feel you should just jump on the first seat that comes up
    patience is key
    If you see a table with players sitting with 50 bigs, join - these tables are so soft
    There either gambling with any reasonable holding or just tight 
    The best ones are the loose passive, there so short - very easy to get them all in with them holding light hands TPNK etc..
    Note taking is key, identify the regs and the value - join tables with value
    Watch a few orbits and then join in 

This applies to all levels, the softer the table - the easier it is to win money

• edited December 2011
    look for people like lambert who folds the nuts lolz 
  • edited December 2011
    Have to agree. Table selection is key. I think NL8 is harder due to the lack of tables running. Always the same faces on the tables and have been for some time. Not saying they are unbeatable but there are far worse playing at NL10 and obviously hundreds worse at NL4. Its like a 'no mans land' for micro stakes players.

The other thing i find, which happened earlier this evening, was that i found a couple of massive fish at NL8 and made a few quid but the waiting list was a country mile long so the table soon filled up with regs fighting each other to get heads up with the maniacs. It started to become a battle between the regs and became quite an expensive game for those not hitting the cards.

Nothing to be scared of but there are definitely easier games above and below a great deal of the time when i play which is largely tea timeish.
  • edited December 2011
    look for people like lambert who folds the nuts lolz 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Or look for people like Donk who 'raises with any 2 if anyone ever limps into the pot'... (every single hand then at these levels)