You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was this a good call by oppo?

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Going ok in a £10 bh,
Should i have bet the flop?
I know i limped in, was gonna see a cheap flop.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
What_if Small blind  200.00 200.00 7805.00
PEDRO10 Big blind  400.00 600.00 9892.50
  Your hole cards

davelufc Call  400.00 1000.00 9480.00
HENSEY Fold     
steve1602 Fold     
What_if Fold     
PEDRO10 Raise  400.00 1400.00 9492.50
davelufc Call  400.00 1800.00 9080.00
Flop

PEDRO10 Check     
davelufc Check     
Turn

PEDRO10 Bet  400.00 2200.00 9092.50
davelufc Raise  2000.00 4200.00 7080.00
PEDRO10 All-in  9092.50 13292.50 0.00
davelufc All-in  7080.00 20372.50 0.00
PEDRO10 Unmatched bet  412.50 19960.00 412.50
PEDRO10 Show
  • J

davelufc Show

River

PEDRO10 Win Straight to the Jack 19960.00  20372.50

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Got to be honest bud I dont get this.  I may be reading it totally wrong but it looks like you give the free card then end up calling.

So its hard to comment if it was a good call by oppo, when you get your money in from behind @ turn?

• edited December 2011
    I dont like pre flop, i hate flop and when the draw gets there you pay him off.

For me, i am either raising pre or folding. If we raise we can win by numerous ways. We can take it down pre (good result!), we can hit our set (great result!) or we may be able to use our aggression to rep a good hand after seeing the flop! If we fold pre, at least we are still in tourney!

Anyhow, as played, we are where we are on the flop! Again, i have to reiterate that i hate checking behind here in this situation. We have to bet flop and bet it at least 2/3rds the pot to charge any straight draws kicking about but probably more 3/4 pot. If the flop comes 3,7,Q rainbow then i can understand a check behind maybe. You check and let him hit for nothing! Its a reasonably wet board considering your pre flop play as it lets hand like J,8 have a look at the flop. Once you hit the dream flop, bet the frickin' thing!

Raising pre probably gets him to fold! Betting a good amount on the flop, probably gets him off the hand, and if it doesnt its a mistake by the villain!

Why so passive?
  • edited December 2011
    min raise pre

understand why you check but hey ho

rest is standard - auto stack off with a set there
  • edited December 2011
    waht do u mean was this a good call by opponent u didnt bet the flop 1st mistake here i say this on alot of post threads always bet your good hands and u didnt u checked the flop so let the villain hit the gin card for free so on the turn plays itself but dnt understand what u mean was this a good call by opponent when u didnt bet on the flop 
  • edited December 2011
    you gave the man a free card on flop , when you flopped your low set and theres a draw on the board if there was no draws then yeh check raise , but when theres a draw you want to bet big enough so your opponent cannot call for that draw?? easy
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Was this a good call by oppo?:
    Got to be honest bud I dont get this.  I may be reading it totally wrong but it looks like you give the free card then end up calling. So its hard to comment if it was a good call by oppo, when you get your money in from behind @ turn?
    Posted by AMYBR
    Dont think ur reading it wrong fella, i did give the oppo a free card which was why i posted the hand,

I thought i was in front on the flop, really should have bet.

Even when the turn came, i still didn`t put him on much, he had been pretty aggro so i thought when he went all in, he was repping a hand,

Thats what you get for set mining eh? lol
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah understand giving the free card, prob go broke on turn @ turn also.  Dont get his min lead out of BB pre at all either???
  • edited December 2011
    pre raise or fold. If you are limpcalling why not raise. Once you limp, calling the minraise is prob marginal this shallow

checking flop is nowhere near as bad as some have made out. I prob bet, but when he raises pre then checks flop he prob c/f a lot if hes aggro

turn standardo
  • edited December 2011
    As most have said, never limp wiv 33. it's been mentioned that the guy prob folds if u raise pre, well looking at the action, i would disagree. he min-raised a limper oop with J8off so i doubt whether he is the kind of guy who is letting his BB go so easily.

Once you have decided to limp, I actually dont mind the check behind. You are making the guy think you are massively weak, and bearing in mind the action already, I doubt if any bet on the flop would get him off his str draw.

After that I think you played it well, the only drawing hands that have you beat on the turn are J8 and 68 and again bearing in mind the pre-flop action, i cant put him on either of these hands. The main thing id be worried about is a higher set and then its entirely up to you whether or not to call but i cant fold here