You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bottled it with top pair top kicker

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancetootallsdrSmall blind £0.05£0.05£3.38ThoichBig blind £0.10£0.15£8.85 Your hole cardsQA   warbird72Fold    thecovkidRaise £0.20£0.35£10.63dodger12Call £0.20£0.55£3.44ronniebCall £0.20£0.75£16.79tootallsdrRaise £0.25£1.00£3.13ThoichCall £0.20£1.20£8.65thecovkidCall £0.10£1.30£10.53dodger12Call £0.10£1.40£3.34ronniebCall £0.10£1.50£16.69Flop  3Q7   tootallsdrBet £0.30£1.80£2.83ThoichCall £0.30£2.10£8.35thecovkidRaise £1.50£3.60£9.03dodger12Fold    ronniebFold    tootallsdrFold    ThoichFold    thecovkidMuck    thecovkidWin £2.22 £11.25thecovkidReturn £1.20£0.18£12.45
Pretty sure I played this hand terribly both pre flop and post flop and would love some advice on how to play in this spot. I had not be playing the table long so had little information on the players involved, so I decided to make a painfully tight lay down on the flop with top pair top kicker.

My first question is should I have 4-bet pre flop? I chose not to as it was likely to create a big pot out of position.

When the SB leads out on flop my first instinct was AA or KK and that the small 3-bet preflop was hoping to induce a 4-bet from original raiser, therefore I flat called to re-evaluate on the turn. Should I have been reraising in this spot for information/value?

Once the reraise comes in from behind me and the original flop raiser folded I decided to throw my hand away on the basis that I was out of position in a big pot, and my hand strength had little chance of improving on latter streets. Also, I had very little information on my opponent and was unsure whether or not he was capable of this move with a flush draw, so a spade on the turn would have left me check-folding anyway.

I am aware I have played this hand shockingly, and would love to hear some advice about what I could have done differently. Thanks.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    There's a pretty good rule in poker that I wish I could learn and stick to.

If you opt to keep a pot small pre flop, then you have to lean towards opting to keep it small post.

This many people in the hand, I dont think its a terrible fold.
  • edited December 2011
    I hate these sort of hands

pre looks fine

postflop idk I'm not in love with any line. I prob call and call the raise as well, but I dont hate your line as turn will always be tricky
  • edited December 2011
    Doyle Bruson advicates that the worst hand to play out of the blinds is AQ, this hand proves his point and IMO your fold is good...... which is unusual for you to fold any hand m8 lol :)
  • edited December 2011
    Ouch. I don't know what to make of this at all... The correct play would probably be to time out while making notes on everyone else's terrible play.

Personally, I think I 4-bet to £1.20 or so pre, just to find out where I am and get rid of the limpers. If someone comes back over the top, it's a pretty easy fold with AQ. If not, then I've picked up a quid from the limpers, or I get to see a flop and re-assess/proceed with caution.

Tbh, the standard on that table looks worse than I've seen on NL4 at times, at NL4 you'd always re-raise big preflop, hit TPTK and take your opponent to value town, so I think the right play was to do just that.
  • edited December 2011
    THOICH flopping top pair with top kicker in big blind after flatting pre i wudnt be folding to a flop raise as they the person who bets out cant really put you on aq the way u play the hand, if i bet out on turn and he reraises then different story obviously, i'd probably raise totallsdr when he initially bets out first of all, if your instinct is right and he has overpair u can expect he will reraise you/shove so can make the fold, also by reraising the initial raiser the guy who raises 1.50 is less inclined to do so with hands like 9's.10's,js, kq, jq which i think was  possible if he thought you two were both weak and could easily beleive hands like kq, js were best hand.  Then if he raises two initial raisers you know he has a monster and can make the same fold having got the information you needed to make the fold by maybe putting an extra pound into the pot. Stick to playing 96 in the big blind fella its more profitable in the long term than AQ lol
  • edited December 2011
    You say that you thought the sb was most likely holding AA or KK. If he was, then his min-raise to all those limpers was terrible. Also once u decided to play the hand, i think folding TPTK on the flop, u then need to ask yourself.. why did i bother to see a flop?? if it was suited then i might be tempted because u might of been able to pick up some kind of flush draw. but i think a fold pre would of been the order of the day. Then see how the hand plays out and make some much needed notes
  • edited December 2011
    Pre flop fine, post flop isnt good

The thing is after just flatting a small bet on the flop your way under repping your hand, if someones got KQ behind you they can easily think they're ahead and be raising for value i this spot.

After initial stupid 30p bet i'd raise up to £1.20-£1.50
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Bottled it with top pair top kicker:
    Doyle Bruson advicates that the worst hand to play out of the blinds is AQ, this hand proves his point and IMO your fold is good...... which is unusual for you to fold any hand m8 lol :)
    Posted by waynec
    haha thanks, at least I actually had a legitimate starting hand this time