You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

the new format, what's the point!

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT SKY POKER IS BEING ABLE TO WATCH THE POKER AS IT HAPPENS, IN THE OPEN TOURNAMENTS. SINCE SKY HAVE CHANGED THE FORMAT, I SIT THERE GLUED TO 865 FOR 4 HOURS, AND THEN HAVE TO MISS THE FINAL TABLE. IT MIGHT SUIT ALOT OF PEOPLE, WITH LONGER TOURNAMENTS,BUT IT DEFINITELY DOESN'T WORK FOR TELEVISION, AND SURELY THAT'S THE POINT OF TELEVISING THESE TOURNAMENTS. SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE, MAYBE A BIT  MORE THOUGHT INTO PLANNING. OTHERWISE SKY POKER MIGHT LOSE QUITE A FEW FOLLOWERS. I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL SAY THEY LOVE THE NEW FORMAT, BUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT BEFORE, IF IT A'INT BROKE , DON'T FIX IT.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    i have the same problem. I think it was done to keep interest up and to gain sky money
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to the new format, what's the point!:
    ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT SKY POKER IS BEING ABLE TO WATCH THE POKER AS IT HAPPENS, IN THE OPEN TOURNAMENTS. SINCE SKY HAVE CHANGED THE FORMAT, I SIT THERE GLUED TO 865 FOR 4 HOURS, AND THEN HAVE TO MISS THE FINAL TABLE. IT MIGHT SUIT ALOT OF PEOPLE, WITH LONGER TOURNAMENTS,BUT IT DEFINITELY DOESN'T WORK FOR TELEVISION, AND SURELY THAT'S THE POINT OF TELEVISING THESE TOURNAMENTS. SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE, MAYBE A BIT  MORE THOUGHT INTO PLANNING. OTHERWISE SKY POKER MIGHT LOSE QUITE A FEW FOLLOWERS. I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL SAY THEY LOVE THE NEW FORMAT, BUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT BEFORE, IF IT A'INT BROKE , DON'T FIX IT.
    Posted by chirker
    Hi Chiker
    I'm sure Sky haven't done this to sicken people off, but hey are going to great lengths to provide the players with better and more playable structures and better value. They will look at the situation about over running on the main events, but imo they must look after the needs of the paying players first and foremost. The problem last night was that normally they cut off at 700 players and 3000 chips 7 min blinds, but now it is up to a max 2000 players(that will go over by a long way if it ever maxs out), but longer blinds. This was an extremely popular request to extend the blinds and Sky have responded, as with all new initiatives there is a question of trial and error, but they will try hard to please everyone.

col
  • edited November 2009
    Why do we play Online poker??  To do exactly that play Poker... the change of the structure is MUCH better for the site and the players, OK we miss the FT, but at the end of the day Final Tables are only shove or fold anyway, all the best poekr has been played by then.

The changes are great and I was delighted to see 760 runners last night. Was worried that the change might not suit some of the 'gun ho' open reg's, but they seem to play it anyway.

Well done Sky. Best change so far
  • edited November 2009
    A LOT of the regulars wanted the new format to give the tournament more play, but I DO agree with you that having the game televised live and then not being able to see the final table played out fully is a BIG mistake.  It could be that the game is taking longer because there have been more players this week than before because of the bigger guarantees so it may well be that things will get back to normal next week.  If thats not the case then I think Sky need to look at extending coverage of the open past Midnight or limit the number of entrants so that the game is definately over by the end of the show.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: the new format, what's the point!:
    In Response to the new format, what's the point! : Hi Chiker I'm sure Sky haven't done this to sicken people off, but hey are going to great lengths to provide the players with better and more playable structures and better value. They will look at the situation about over running on the main events, but imo they must look after the needs of the paying players first and foremost. The problem last night was that normally they cut off at 700 players and 3000 chips 7 min blinds, but now it is up to a max 2000 players(that will go over by a long way if it ever maxs out), but longer blinds. This was an extremely popular request to extend the blinds and Sky have responded, as with all new initiatives there is a question of trial and error, but they will try hard to please everyone. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    when you say look after the paying players, do you mean all of us, or just yourself and others who agree with you. perhaps MORI  should do a poll. you never know, you might not be in the majority.
  • edited November 2009
    Why do we play Online poker??  To do exactly that play Poker... the change of the structure is MUCH better for the site and the players, OK we miss the FT, but at the end of the day Final Tables are only shove or fold anyway, all the best poekr has been played by then.  The changes are great and I was delighted to see 760 runners last night. Was worried that the change might not suit some of the 'gun ho' open reg's, but they seem to play it anyway.  Well done Sky. Best change so far
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Surely if there weren't so many "gun ho" open reg's, expert players like yourself wouldn't do so well!
  • edited November 2009
    A LOT of the regulars wanted the new format to give the tournament more play, but I DO agree with you that having the game televised live and then not being able to see the final table played out fully is a BIG mistake.  It could be that the game is taking longer because there have been more players this week than before because of the bigger guarantees so it may well be that things will get back to normal next week.  If thats not the case then I think Sky need to look at extending coverage of the open past Midnight or limit the number of entrants so that the game is definately over by the end of the show.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    I agree with alot of what you say, maybe things will quieten down, just think a happy medium might please all. thanks for your reply.
  • edited November 2009
    i have the same problem. I think it was done to keep interest up and to gain sky money
    Posted by The_Don90
    i think sky have listened to what most players have been saying n the forum and got a middle ground for lovers of deepstack tournys and faster paced games...personally i love the new format because i can now get fished out by 8.15 and get to the pub at a reasonal time! lol.
    i dont know sky making more money having a tourny that keeps players in for longer and having longer tv programmes?

good luck at the tables,dave
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: the new format, what's the point! : I agree with alot of what you say, maybe things will quieten down, just think a happy medium might please all. thanks for your reply.
    Posted by chirker
    hi chirker,i think the new format is much better,and i'm sure sky will get the tv show right before long,i remember in the first days they used to show the final table at the begining of the next days show,and they only use to get about 350 runners then...

cheers,dave
  • edited November 2009
    new format is awsome been waiting for it for months, its made me give sky a 2nd chance dont cxhange it!!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: the new format, what's the point! : hi chirker,i think the new format is much better,and i'm sure sky will get the tv show right before long,i remember in the first days they used to show the final table at the begining of the next days show,and they only use to get about 350 runners then... cheers,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Your probably right, dont think there is much wrong with the structure, just frustrated at missing all the final tables. One more thing, I agree sky have probably listened to alot of people on the foum, but there are often 5000 people online, most of whom dont write on the forum, maybe they should, and maybe sky should consider everyone.
  • edited November 2009
    Whilst I like the new format, I find it really annoying not to see the final table.  Even though I have been knocked out, I do like to see who wins it.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to the new format, what's the point!:
    Posted by chirker
    The 8pm start and 10min blinds change is superb.
    The TV coverage is obviously still work in progress, i did not play last night but you definately need to show the final table and winner. Either they extend the TV coverage to 1am? (What time did the tourny finish?) or they limit the numbers to 700?

Ed
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: the new format, what's the point! : when you say look after the paying players, do you mean all of us, or just yourself and others who agree with you. perhaps MORI  should do a poll. you never know, you might not be in the majority.
    Posted by chirker
    if you dont like the answers you get dont put a post up.
    Of course i meant all paying players.
    At the moment my bankroll DOESNT have enough in to play these tournies, and only played this one as a phone guest, and before you put another sarciy comment put yourself forward, it is for eveyone to have a go.
    If you would like to discuss this subject without replying in a way that is insulting(to me) then feel free to pm me.
    col
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to the new format, what's the point! : The 8pm start and 10min blinds change is superb. The TV coverage is obviously still work in progress, i did not play last night but you definately need to show the final table and winner. Either they extend the TV coverage to 1am? (What time did the tourny finish?) or they limit the numbers to 700? Ed
    Posted by THESWISS
    it was over by 12.30
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: the new format, what's the point! : if you dont like the answers you get dont put a post up. Of course i meant all paying players. At the moment my bankroll DOESNT have enough in to play these tournies, and only played this one as a phone guest, and before you put another sarciy comment put yourself forward, it is for eveyone to have a go. If you would like to discuss this subject without replying in a way that is insulting(to me) then feel free to pm me. col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    I do like the answers, and i will reply. I wasn't trying to insult you, if it came accross that way then i appologise. my bankroll is down to 00.00 at the moment, when i do play the open it's through a sattelite. the only point i was trying to make is you might not be in the majority, it was not meant to personal, once again i  appologise if i offended you, it wasn't intended.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: the new format, what's the point! : I do like the answers, and i will reply. I wasn't trying to insult you, if it came accross that way then i appologise. my bankroll is down to 00.00 at the moment, when i do play the open it's through a sattelite. the only point i was trying to make is you might not be in the majority, it was not meant to personal, once again i  appologise if i offended you, it wasn't intended.
    Posted by chirker
    Ok m8 it was just the 2 replies to myself and Flash had sarcy comments in them.
    That aside the way i learned the game was by watching tv tournies and i'll be honest i did not ask or vote for the extention of the blinds, so therefore cannot be in any majority,sorry.
    I did say that Sky will look at this problem. If your really concerned about this give Sky Rich a pm and im sur he'll give you a better answer than any of the forum members.
    cheers col
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: the new format, what's the point! : it was over by 12.30
    Posted by chirker
    Cheers. 12.30am is a good end time. Maybe the staff/presenters do not wish to work will 1am, which is probably fair enough. Either they limit the numbers or finish at 1am but i do agree that you have to show the final table to its conclusion.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: the new format, what's the point! : it was over by 12.30
    Posted by chirker
    Hi Again,
    Having had a 2nd in the main event, a tourney that finishes at 12.30, as this did would mean the tv programme would not finish until 1am.
    As i see it, Sky need to limit the numbers to insure the finishing time, last night 760 runners, 60 more than normal. Maybe thats the answer?
    col
  • edited November 2009
    I am a great fan of the new structure. Its no longer a "donkament" and therefore i will play it more often now, in addition to my usual deepstacks...

• edited November 2009
    WELL I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A SUGGESTION HERE WHY DONT SKY ARRANGE ONE EVENING A WEEK DEDICATED PURELY TO FINAL TABLES JUST A THOUGHT BUT I RECKON IT WOULD WORK AND EVERYONE WOULD KNOW WHEN THE FINAL TABLES ARE BEING SHOWN ANY ONE ELESE AGREE?
  • edited November 2009
    i agree, i think sky should do something.
  • edited November 2009
    I am sure Sky in all of its wisdom will sort things out. It just will take a while to adjust to the new structures and bed in. GL at the tables, and good luck to all my mates going up to Manchester this weekend.

Charles, Col and Greg go get em boys!
  • edited November 2009

it is much better now that sky have increased the times of the blinds    ....

• edited November 2009
    I am a great fan of the new structure. Its no longer a "donkament" and therefore i will play it more often now, in addition to my usual deepstacks...
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I WATCHED YOU GO DEEP IN THE OPEN THE OTHER NIGHT, I WAS ONE OF THE MANY CHEERING YOU ON. BUT IF YOU THINK IT IS NO LONGER A "DONKAMENT" , I DISAGREE. YOU WILL STILL GET ALOT OF THE SAME PLAYERS PLAYING IT, AND YOU WILL STILL GET THE SAME STUPID MOVES. SAME ENTRY FEE, SAME PRIZE MONEY. IT'S NOT GOING TO DETER THE LOOSER OR LESS EXPIERIENCED PLAYERS TAKING PART.GOOD LUCK AT THE TABLES.
  • edited November 2009
    I am sure Sky in all of its wisdom will sort things out. It just will take a while to adjust to the new structures and bed in. GL at the tables, and good luck to all my mates going up to Manchester this weekend. Charles, Col and Greg go get em boys!
    Posted by Grimstar30
    YEP, I'M SURE YOUR RIGHT.
  • edited November 2009
    It may not deter the looser players from taking part, but then again it wasn't supposed to do that. It was simply to make the tournament "more playable" for all players who want to take part. 

Looking at some of the suggestions here, I think Sky will have to reduce some of the guarantees if they wish to cap it at 700, because if you have an £10+£1 tourney capped at 700, then it's not going to hit the £8,250 guarantee!  As for playing later, most people who work probably want to be in bed by 12 rather than playing poker online! 

An interesting one for Des and the Sky team, be interesting to see where they go here...
  • edited November 2009
    I think the lengthening of the blinds and the double stacks is a change for the better and suits the more discerning players, but the key differentiator between sky and any other site is that the tournament is televised. Cutting away from the action mid final table is not good. If you win the main event then you want to see yourself winning it - I remember Tikay has said there are reasons why coverage has to conclude at midnight, but it seems a shame when most of he events will tie up by 12.30.

Another alternative might be to begin the televised show at 9, as previously and run it on to the conclusion. I can understand they do not want to run over 4 hours, but they could use the initial half hour of the show to show highlights from the first hour - surely better to miss the early stages than the conclusion?
  • edited November 2009
    It may not deter the looser players from taking part, but then again it wasn't supposed to do that. It was simply to make the tournament "more playable" for all players who want to take part.  Looking at some of the suggestions here, I think Sky will have to reduce some of the guarantees if they wish to cap it at 700, because if you have an £10+£1 tourney capped at 700, then it's not going to hit the £8,250 guarantee!  As for playing later, most people who work probably want to be in bed by 12 rather than playing poker online!  An interesting one for Des and the Sky team, be interesting to see where they go here...
    Posted by Kaidus
    They boosted the guarantees by 25% for the first week only, so this will become a £7k guarantee next week
  • edited November 2009
    I am sure Sky in all of its wisdom will sort things out. It just will take a while to adjust to the new structures and bed in. GL at the tables, and good luck to all my mates going up to Manchester this weekend. Charles, Col and Greg go get em boys!
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Thanks Dave, i will try!

If i make the dinner break i will be happy... lol