You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

correct call or wrong call?

Hi guys just wondering what u thought
I was on small blind with 20k chips with ace queen. 1k, 2k blinds and guy on big blind had 20k chips too.
all folded to me so i went all in(i hate ace queen and would have been happy just with the blinds)
but i was called by king jack which hit the jack on the river. lol
would you have called with yourking jack?
personally i would have folded it but curious to how other people would play it lol

Comments

• edited November 2009
       This call to me has very little to do with the cards he was holding and more to do with the situation. With you only having 10 BB your range for shoving on ths SB was a lot wider than it would normally be. There is also the issue of table image to consider as well, whether you had been playing quite loose or not. Also there is the question of how big his stack was and could he easily take the hit if he lost.
       When you get to these stages in a tourny cards become less important than situations and reads on your opponents. Many times during STT when the blinds have gone up if i believe my opponents will fold i will shove with any 2 cards.

For me though KJ is an overrated hand and gets people into a lot of trouble. But they always love it when they look down and see 2 paint cards.
  • edited November 2009
    lol, i was a tight player and had folded several small blinds before hand which made me suprised, if i had won thehand he was left with 200 chips so it was for all his stack. all hands are over rated unless its aces and the flop is ace ace 2 lol
  • edited November 2009
     Then it seems a very loose call on his part. But another thing to consider is that some people just dont pay attention to other players so table image can be negated, he could well of just looked down and seen 2 pretty cards and thought thats good enough
  • edited November 2009
      The important thing to remember in this scenario is that you made the right move at the right time. OK you lost the hand and crashed out, but if you keep making the right decisions then you will do well and results will come your way.  So whatever happens do not get hung up on the result of this hand
  • edited November 2009
    For me it would depend on what stage of the tournament it was, my position on the table and the image I had of the other player.

Early doors in a tournament I could quite happily fold KJ. Mid to late tournament then I would be more likely to play. Especially if my chip stake was low.

If the opposing player had been playing many hands then I would be likely to play.
  • edited November 2009

with so many awful players on-line,youre gonna get called by a lot worse hand than K-J trust me

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: correct call or wrong call?:
    For me it would depend on what stage of the tournament it was, my position on the table and the image I had of the other player. Early doors in a tournament I could quite happily fold KJ. Mid to late tournament then I would be more likely to play. Especially if my chip stake was low. If the opposing player had been playing many hands then I would be likely to play.
    Posted by Urdadi
    LOL,yeah that was the excuse i got when my K-K was called by Q-2...and the Q-2 flushed,"you play to hard,always a bad thing"that aint the logic of a poker player is it?....Q-2 aint even beating a bluff is it.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: correct call or wrong call? : LOL,yeah that was the excuse i got when my K-K was called by Q-2...and the Q-2 flushed,"you play to hard,always a bad thing"that aint the logic of a poker player is it?....Q-2 aint even beating a bluff is it.
    Posted by fitzer14
    I know how you feel. Got posted yesterday with KK. Ended up getting knocked out when J2 failed to fold to my twice pot bet and hit JJ on turn and river. 

Enough to make you drink. well me anyway.
  • edited November 2009
    you  made  the  the  right  move   you   was  going  to  the  flop  slight  fav   just  un lucky   thats  poker
  • edited November 2009
    i would call,the range you are pushing with here is large and KJ is a decent enough hand.
  • edited November 2009
    KJ is OK to shove, not to call in this situation.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to correct call or wrong call?:
    Hi guys just wondering what u thought I was on small blind with 20k chips with ace queen. 1k, 2k blinds and guy on big blind had 20k chips too. all folded to me so i went all in(i hate ace queen and would have been happy just with the blinds) but i was called by king jack which hit the jack on the river. lol would you have called with yourking jack? personally i would have folded it but curious to how other people would play it lol
    Posted by chrisbhoy
    Correct shove and a bad call

I play AQ the same way but would not call with KJ in this situation.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to correct call or wrong call? : Correct shove and a bad call I play AQ the same way but would not call with KJ in this situation.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    +1 no way am i calling,but the shove every time
  • edited November 2009
    I've said it a million times, so one more won't matter!
    The shove looks weak to a good player. A smaller raise looks strong. If you had AA instead of AQ, would you have shoved or just raised to 5k?

The shove says; "I really don't want you to call now. Please back off so I can have the blinds."

• edited November 2009
    I've said it a million times, so one more won't matter! The shove looks weak to a good player. A smaller raise looks strong. If you had AA instead of AQ, would you have shoved or just raised to 5k? The shove says; "I really don't want you to call now. Please back off so I can have the blinds."
    Posted by BigBluster
    Does that justify a call with KJ?

And yes AA can be played in the same way sometimes...
  • edited November 2009
  • edited November 2009
    Wrong call iwould say but one you want him to make.  Good players just take it on the chin and move on cos in the long run they win more than they lose
  • edited November 2009
    nothing wrong with the all in id say.... but the call with k j . dont no about that like ... you just got unluckymate....
  • edited November 2009
    10 BB's with 1 blind commited, vs 1 opponent who has shoved (shows he doesnt particually like his hand that much) I call...

If SB had AA,KK,QQ,JJ they wudn't of pushed, so just fingers crossed they dont have AK, AJ and then you are either live or dominating them. If I was down to 10 blinds in that situation id take the risk