You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Min-raise or All-in?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
whatley12 Small blind  75.00 75.00 2995.00
VILLAIN Big blind  150.00 225.00 1290.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

tuncuy Fold     
edster1 Fold     
Dudeskin8 All-in  1555.00 1780.00 0.00
JOBLOT Fold     
whatley12 Fold     
VILLAIN All-in  1290.00 3070.00 0.00
Dudeskin8 Unmatched bet  115.00 2955.00 115.00
VILLAIN Show
  • A
  • A

Dudeskin8 Show
  • A

Flop

• A
  • K

Turn

• K

River

VILLAIN Win Full House, Aces and Kings 2955.00  2955.00

Double your money late stages, normally with 10 big blinds I just go all-in with hands like this but should I have minraised and folded to an all-in ? Basically is all-in a positive play overtime.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    if your gonna play any hand go all-in ,coz you will get called no matter what by any rubbish,just leave it in the hands of the gods......Dont try play poker coz it counts for nothing againt awful players.
  • edited November 2009
    Still 6 in and blinds are at a point where it is worth being the aggressive player when betting first, u were just unlucky.

A lot of people will say b utt out until 4 left.
  • edited November 2009
      Your decision in that circumstance was fine but you have asked the wrong question.  The decision was all-in or fold. A min raise preflop at that stage is always a very bad move. With your stack size a min raise would put too many of your chips into the pot.  At this stage of a DYM it is all just a matter of picking a hand you like and getting your chips in the middle.   The other thing to note is, if you are willing to fold to a reraise why are you raising in the first place.

A9 in the cut off is a big hand and is well worth raising but NEVER EVER consider min raising.The min raise is a sign of weakness not strength and therefore people with marginal hands would come over the top of you.

On that hand either the all-in or fold were perfectly good options, i think you just got unlucky to run into a monster , most of the time you would steal the blinds or get called with an inferior holding.
  • edited November 2009
    Maybe a min-raise with this hand was more appropiate as there's still a fair few hands that could be beating your out there. Although if you say you do this often, and it works for you then you should keep the all-in process.
  • edited November 2009
    I used to shove in this situation but now i tend not to and just fold. With A9 if you raise and hit your ace on the flop thats fine (if you are out kicked its just unlucky) but if you hit your 9 it is unlikely to be top pair and with your stack this will be too difficult to play. So you basically have 3 cards (3 aces) to make your hand, so this is why i would not limp or raise. All in may seem OK at first but if you look at the situation more carefully you are risking your entire stack (about 10BB) to either steal 1.5BB (hardly an increase in your stack size) or if you are called you will probably be up against a dominating hand and will likely go out... for these reasons i would fold A9 in a DYM game in this situation.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Min-raise or All-in?:
    I used to shove in this situation but now i tend not to and just fold. With A9 if you raise and hit your ace on the flop thats fine (if you are out kicked its just unlucky) but if you hit your 9 it is unlikely to be top pair and with your stack this will be too difficult to play. So you basically have 3 cards (3 aces) to make your hand, so this is why i would not limp or raise. All in may seem OK at first but if you look at the situation more carefully you are risking your entire stack (about 10BB) to either steal 1.5BB (hardly an increase in your stack size) or if you are called you will probably be up against a dominating hand and will likely go out... for these reasons i would fold A9 in a DYM game in this situation.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    So would A10 be your minimum for all-ins here?
  • edited November 2009
    It has got to be all in or fold.
    I had a hand in a DYM earlier where the cut raised all and I folded A J on the button.
    Maybe it was a tight fold but I am not calling with A J, but I am pushing all in an unopened pot.
  • edited November 2009
    errrm not sure it really is situational, my rule is only shove when in last place on the bubble in a dym game, obviously AA-JJ and AK-AQ would probably be all in but any hands below these would be dependant on the situation. If you are not last then all you have to do is sit tight really. When last though im shoving any 2 if the pot is worth it and I think the chance of it getting through is good.
  • edited November 2009
    errrm not sure it really is situational, my rule is only shove when in last place on the bubble in a dym game, obviously AA-JJ and AK-AQ would probably be all in but any hands below these would be dependant on the situation. If you are not last then all you have to do is sit tight really. When last though im shoving any 2 if the pot is worth it and I think the chance of it getting through is good.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    The problem is though, once the blinds go through me again I lose some fold equity and might have to put it in with a lesser hand.
  • edited November 2009
    6 players still in a DYM and you pick up A9, that is a fold every day of the week, A9 is one of the hands you should never play in a DYM imo

and you have just stated that you push with hands like this late on in DYM so you better watch out for people calling you and expecting you to have these kind of rubbish hands now
  • edited November 2009
    ITS A FOLD FOR ME THINK YOU ALSO NEED TO BE THINKING ABOUT POSITION HERE THERE ARE STILL HALF THE PLAYERS TO ACT IF THEY RESPECT YOUR BET THEY ALL FOLD YOUR 225 CHIPS RITCHER IF THEY DONT YOUR BASICALY PLAYING WITH 1 ACE TO HIT. TEND TO AGREE WITH THE OTHER POSTERS ON THIS ONE IF YOU HIT YOUR ACE YOUVE STILL ONLY GOT A RAGGY OLD 9 TO SUPPORT IT.
  • edited November 2009
    yes you lose fold equity but with A9 you do not want a caller and so you are only really hoping to take down the blinds and the blinds add hardly anything to your stack, i would rather let the blinds go up and shove with any 2 when the pot is big... for example if a player has limped or if you are in SB.
  • edited November 2009
    Allin obv, how can u minraise fold 10 big blinds its beyond retarded. U were unlucky he found a hand this is an insta shove u dont have time to find a better hand than ace-9 this short! U did nothing wrong
  • edited November 2009
    Allin obv, how can u minraise fold 10 big blinds its beyond retarded. U were unlucky he found a hand this is an insta shove u dont have time to find a better hand than ace-9 this short! U did nothing wrong
  • edited November 2009
    People are generally in way too much of a hurry to go all-in in my opinion. The 10BB 'rule' is a fallacy. Just because some books say it's true, doesn't make it so (heck, some books say 15BB, some say 3!)

Raise to 350, that will do the trick as often as the shove. Fold if someone comes over the top, then play on with your 1200 stack. If someone calls, then A9 is a playable hand so just see what the flop brings.

A shove indicates weakness to a skilled player. A raise to 350 indicates strength. If there are good players at the table, the 350 raise is a much better blind steal.

• edited November 2009
    To be honest I dont see the point of this move, at this stage of a DYM. Your only getting called by a good hand.
    You are behind to A10,AJ,AQ,AK,22,33,44,55,66,77,88,99,1010,JJ,QQ,KK,AA. Now then you can probably discount probably 99 and down as calling hands but still enough to make an all in not profitable, not when you only win 225 chips. A bet of 3/4 times the BB gets you the same info as to the range of hands out there with out putting your stack at risk. A9 IS ace rag.
    col
  • edited November 2009
    People are generally in way too much of a hurry to go all-in in my opinion. The 10BB 'rule' is a fallacy. Just because some books say it's true, doesn't make it so (heck, some books say 15BB, some say 3!) Posted by BigBluster
    I totally agree. Far too many go all-in. Takes out the fun. I don't trust someone who goes all-in. If they are doing it then chances are, I feel, are likely to have a low pair. If my cards are good then I will call.
    I refuse to play by the 10BB rule. Instead I will either play the person or the cards and go with my gut feel.

Depending on how the other player was playing would have impacted my decision. Was he going all in often? If yes I may not have believed him. Instead the one to watch is the one you raise to and they call, pre and post flop. Been caught out on that more than once. But learning.
  • edited November 2009
    Also this was a 60p DYM so I doubt there we're many expert players at the table.