You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why do people continue to throw good money after bad? Discuss.

edited December 2011 in Area 51
One to discuss . . . . (although I'm not sure it's an Area 51 topic) . . .

Bearing in mind the regular drubbings and bad beats tht a lot of players suffer, and the fact that a fair number believe that the online game isn't quite as fair as it could be, why is it that people continue to make deposits into online poker sites and continue playing?

++++++

Answer here:  [ . . . . . . . . . . . ]

Comments

• edited December 2011

When I was losing money @ poker I was convinced the reason I was losing, was bad luck, and that nxt time it would be different.

-------------------------------

it's a good question, i'd love to hear from some of the more serious losers, who quite clearly don't even enjoy playing, or trust the site they play on!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do people continue to throw good money after bad? Discuss.:
    When I was losing money @ poker I was convinced the reason I was losing, was bad luck, and that nxt time it would be different. ------------------------------- it's a good question, i'd love to hear from some of the more serious losers, who quite clearly don't even enjoy playing, or trust the site they play on!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Poker players...

Winning = Skill
    Losing = Variance

• edited December 2011
    Yeah . . . I think there's a lot of that. I'll add a few more . . .

Obsessive mindset (can't go without regardless of the outcomes of playing),

Don't want to leave the "gang" (psychology of attachment, particularly with regard to online communities),

They think the more they play the better they're getting,

See it as the cost of the "apprenticeship".

More please . . .

• edited December 2011
    there r smart & stupid ways of doing it though.

assuming you have ambitions to become a winning recreational player, you will quickly pick up on things such as bankroll management, game selection & other important game theories. (if you're not bothered about making money & just play for fun, u r less likely to learn these things, coz who cares right?)

it's really not too hard for a first time depositer with little/no poker experience to go from a losing recreational player to a break even recreational player within a month or 2. assuming they have the right mindset.

----------------------

i keep trying to get my mum into poker, she has a part time job just a few hours a week, which she enjoys but as she doesn't drive it's hard for her to get to......

keep telling her i can teach her to make the same money in the same time playing micro stakes online, but she wont have any of it!

sigh

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Why do people continue to throw good money after bad? Discuss.:
    One to discuss . . . . (although I'm not sure it's an Area 51 topic) . . . Bearing in mind the regular drubbings and bad beats tht a lot of players suffer, and the fact that a fair number believe that the online game isn't quite as fair as it could be, why is it that people continue to make deposits into online poker sites and continue playing? ++++++ Answer here:  [ . . . . . . . . . . . ]
    Posted by Goethe

Gambling addiction.....

• edited December 2011
    Let's discuss . . .

Becoming a breakeven recreational player within a month or two of starting to play? Does that mean winning enough to cover the rake/buy-in? I completely disagree, and couldn't see anyone in that time developing their game to a point where they are consistently playing with a 10%+ advantage that is needed to achieve this.

Your mum's not having any of it? Good for her. To make the equivalent of the NMW (£6.08/hour), at 3 BBs an hour return she'd have to be playing the £1/£2 tables, and I'm sure you know what sort of bankroll is needed to ride out the variance at that level. I have to say, that's a mighty bold promise to make your mum - that she can make as much playing online poker as she can earn. Were you intending to stake her play?

PS - I know you're a graduate (you've stated as much in a previous thread) so please start typing in correct English (I've contributed a fair bit to your education through my taxes) ! ! ! !  No more of this "u r" nonsense please. Thanks.

• edited December 2011
    he was probably going to teach her to multi 10xnl20!

• edited December 2011

it means having equal to, or more than the amount u had in your account before you started playing that particular session.

as for levels/bankrolls/volume etc i wouldn't know until she gives it a try.

i have no idea how she will take to it until she will have a go & let me try and teach her. 

im sure you will agree the rules of poker are very easy to learn. but the game is hard to master. thats why ppl enjoy it so much when they first start imo, becoz the rules r so easy to learn, yet there is so much more to it.

i think she'll love it, and be good @ it, but i'll never know for sure as she refuses to give it a go! she'd rather play online scrabble!!! lol.

-----------

as for the spelling, my keyboard is nackered some keys (including caps lock) wont work, n sum just spa  zz. 

am getting a new 1 delivered overnight so will take care wil presentation, spelling & grammar in futre ;)

• edited December 2011
    its only gonna get delivered if you have been a good boy! and we all know the answer to that one now dont we!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do people continue to throw good money after bad? Discuss.:
    its only gonna get delivered if you have been a good boy! and we all know the answer to that one now dont we!
    Posted by pod1
    lol well technically, it's already been delivered, wrapped, and is sitting under my bed. 

I've just got to give it to my Dad, let him open it, play on it for a few days, then take it back!

Always have a plan for future streets ;)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do people continue to throw good money after bad? Discuss. : Poker players... Winning = Skill Losing =fixed/rigged/ripped off!
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    fyp.....
  • edited December 2011

because its fun even if u do lose. :)