You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How much is a good session?

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Iv been playing poker for about 4 - 5 years now (properly for 2/3). I know there are weaknesses in my game which I am trying to work on now I'm grinding a lot of cash tables again.

What would you consider an "Average" session? I play 6 - 9 tables @40nl and I can't help feeling I'm not making anywhere near as much as I should be. So based on 6 tables for 1.5 hours what would you be satisfied with. Obviously there is a lot of varience I've been around long enough to know that! lol

Comments

• edited December 2011
    i dont go by sessions m8 because after a session u are still going to play later on but on on 40nl id be looking to make a £100 a day id be happy with that but on what u are doing 6-9 tables i dont know i dnt play cash that much but if i did i be looking to make around  £200 a session on 6-9 tables 
  • edited December 2011
    if you aint a pro (which i guess you aint) then any session where you make money is a good session
  • edited December 2011
    think thats a bit high idcu, think potattoo has it about right . if me, 2 bins per session average over a mnth would be great.
  • edited December 2011
    No I'm not pro, but I class myself as semi-pro because I do rely on winnings. My wages alone do not cover my cost of living + Luxuries
  • edited December 2011
    a SOLID winrate is 5bb/100 so 5big blinds per 100 hands, and as a 6max tables average 90-100 hands per hour at nl40 it would be £2+ per table per hour, so say 6 tables for 2 hours a day for 25 days a month

((2*6)*2)*25 = £600, if u can make £600 a month playing 6 tables 2 hours a day for 25 days u should b pretty chuffed! (...is my maths right?)

altho factor is the variance factor u can easily have -4,5,6 buying sessions and equally have +8 BI sessions (its all about the longterm), but general rule of thumb 5bb/100 is pretty solid, anything above 7-8 is pretty amazing (apparently), most grinders average 2-4bb/100

i think to win on average 2 buyins a day for a whole month is v.unreasonable, that would mean you would be up 50-60 BI's for the month, most grinders only keep a 50BI bankroll!

hopefully 1 of the higher stakes cash players can comment....
  • edited December 2011
    5k a night if you're lolraise
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: How much is a good session?:
    a SOLID winrate is 5bb/100 so 5big blinds per 100 hands, and as a 6max tables average 90-100 hands per hour at nl40 it would be £2+ per table per hour, so say 6 tables for 2 hours a day for 25 days a month ((2*6)*2)*25 = £600, if u can make £600 a month playing 6 tables 2 hours a day for 25 days u should b pretty chuffed! (...is my maths right?) altho factor is the variance factor u can easily have -4,5,6 buying sessions and equally have +8 BI sessions (its all about the longterm), but general rule of thumb 5bb/100 is pretty solid, anything above 7-8 is pretty amazing (apparently), most grinders average 2-4bb/100 i think to win on average 2 buyins a day for a whole month is v.unreasonable, that would mean you would be up 50-60 BI's for the month, most grinders only keep a 50BI bankroll! hopefully 1 of the higher stakes cash players can comment....
    Posted by sikas
    I think ure summary here is pretty gd and defo realistic , as ya rightly point out it dont matter how gd ya are as variance can be mean sumtimes.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: How much is a good session?:
    a SOLID winrate is 5bb/100 so 5big blinds per 100 hands, and as a 6max tables average 90-100 hands per hour at nl40 it would be £2+ per table per hour, so say 6 tables for 2 hours a day for 25 days a month ((2*6)*2)*25 = £600, if u can make £600 a month playing 6 tables 2 hours a day for 25 days u should b pretty chuffed! (...is my maths right?) altho factor is the variance factor u can easily have -4,5,6 buying sessions and equally have +8 BI sessions (its all about the longterm), but general rule of thumb 5bb/100 is pretty solid, anything above 7-8 is pretty amazing (apparently), most grinders average 2-4bb/100 i think to win on average 2 buyins a day for a whole month is v.unreasonable, that would mean you would be up 50-60 BI's for the month, most grinders only keep a 50BI bankroll! hopefully 1 of the higher stakes cash players can comment....
    Posted by sikas
    Thanks for the reply Cristo! That is pretty much what I'm on at the moment, I still think I can improve my win rate a fair amount, I'm aware of a couple of things I am trying to work on which should see me making more.

It's good to know I'm on the right tracks, I felt with that many tables open for that amount of time I should be making a lot more.
  • edited December 2011
    A good session is me not losing more than 1k
  • edited December 2011
    Everyone is different, only you know what you are happy with and how much you expect to win at the level you are playing.

Some have higher standards than others. Like Sikas said 4/5bb/100 is generally considered a good win rate, but maybe you would expect more at nl40 I don't know.