You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad beats

How do you handle the bad beats that are almost certain to come the way of any poker player at some stage. Do you take them with grace or throw your toys out of your pram and leave the table your at!!! Also how do you handle poker when the poker gods are not shining on you, is it best to carry on playing and work through the bad cards, surely it cant last all night......right!!!!!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    In Response to Bad beats:
    How do you handle the bad beats that are almost certain to come the way of any poker player at some stage. Do you take them with grace or throw your toys out of your pram and leave the table your at!!! Also how do you handle poker when the poker gods are not shining on you, is it best to carry on playing and work through the bad cards, surely it cant last all night......right!!!!!
    Posted by cainey0707

"It cant last all night"...right !! 

Trust me when i say, "bad-beats' and "cold deck's' can go on for months !!! 
    The thing you have to learn, is not how to to handle a  bad run of cards,   but how to handle your own inner thoughts on the game. You also need to know what limit you are comfortably playing at and what games your playing.
    What never gets mention in most articles is the good players who disappear and are forgotten about over the years, players who where stars for a few months or a year or two. !!  I'll tell you what happens, they go skint !! Harsh but true, they have no control over there 'bankroll' or how to make small profits..some call it 'grinding' !!
    Poker 'bad-beats only hurt when your playing out of your depth financially in cash games, or when your close to the big money in tournaments.
    I used to "phoo hoo" the 'double or nothing' game but if you think about it , this is where the bread and butter is and tournaments are the icing  on the 'glory cake' !!
    Confidence is the biggest thing to a poker player and I'll let you into a secret, 'without it you'll never be a winner'
    So, my advice is play small stake 'double or nothing' games for profit  and tournaments are a luxury item.
    Finally stay off the N/L hold em cash table,   coffin's stretch all the way out to Vegas littered with good poker players who have gone missing thinking they could beat the game ...Think about it !!.
    glk bennydip2
  • edited June 2009
    When i first started out i tilted massively and frequently but gradually as i moved up the stakes i started to accept it as just being varience, as many have said before me you want the worse hands calling you because over a long time you'll end up in profit, it's just really hard to take when they happen a lot in a short period of time. Personally i'd say stick to DYM's. You can play as tight as a nun's proverbial which guards against the varience to an extent.

Basically after any bad beat you've got to think, "if people keep getting their money in behind it suits me"
  • edited June 2009

There is no doubt in my mind that the reaction to the bad beat costs more money than the bad beat itself. I'm not just talking about going on tilt and blowing your money off. You often see people tighten up to absurd degrees; they fear every bet or raise; they fear every card that hits the board. Basically, they play badly.

When I suffer one bad beat, I don't react to it at all. I honestly couldn't care less. But once I've had a string of them, I simply stop playing for a few days. It seems to work.

• edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Bad beats:
    In Response to Bad beats : "It cant last all night"...right !!  Trust me when i say, "bad-beats' and "cold deck's' can go on for months !!!  The thing you have to learn, is not how to to handle a  bad run of cards,   but how to handle your own inner thoughts on the game. You also need to know what limit you are comfortably playing at and what games your playing. What never gets mention in most articles is the good players who disappear and are forgotten about over the years, players who where stars for a few months or a year or two. !!  I'll tell you what happens, they go skint !! Harsh but true, they have no control over there 'bankroll' or how to make small profits..some call it 'grinding' !! Poker 'bad-beats only hurt when your playing out of your depth financially in cash games, or when your close to the big money in tournaments. I used to "phoo hoo" the 'double or nothing' game but if you think about it , this is where the bread and butter is and tournaments are the icing  on the 'glory cake' !! Confidence is the biggest thing to a poker player and I'll let you into a secret, 'without it you'll never be a winner' So, my advice is play small stake 'double or nothing' games for profit  and tournaments are a luxury item. Finally stay off the N/L hold em cash table,   coffin's stretch all the way out to Vegas littered with good poker players who have gone missing thinking they could beat the game ...Think about it !!. glk bennydip2
    Posted by bennydip2
    Good post sir
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Bad beats : "It cant last all night"...right !!  Trust me when i say, "bad-beats' and "cold deck's' can go on for months !!!  The thing you have to learn, is not how to to handle a  bad run of cards,   but how to handle your own inner thoughts on the game. You also need to know what limit you are comfortably playing at and what games your playing. What never gets mention in most articles is the good players who disappear and are forgotten about over the years, players who where stars for a few months or a year or two. !!  I'll tell you what happens, they go skint !! Harsh but true, they have no control over there 'bankroll' or how to make small profits..some call it 'grinding' !! Poker 'bad-beats only hurt when your playing out of your depth financially in cash games, or when your close to the big money in tournaments. I used to "phoo hoo" the 'double or nothing' game but if you think about it , this is where the bread and butter is and tournaments are the icing  on the 'glory cake' !! Confidence is the biggest thing to a poker player and I'll let you into a secret, 'without it you'll never be a winner' So, my advice is play small stake 'double or nothing' games for profit  and tournaments are a luxury item. Finally stay off the N/L hold em cash table,   coffin's stretch all the way out to Vegas littered with good poker players who have gone missing thinking they could beat the game ...Think about it !!. glk bennydip2
    Posted by bennydip2
    I agree with most things but, why stay off the cash tables, that is where 99.99% of pros make a living grinding. Cash is the best way to make a constant steady income. Cash is the variation of the game with the most skill. This is due to the size of stacks to blinds. There is not much skill in poker when you OR your opponent has less than 15 big blinds.
  • edited June 2009
    same as above

if i get a cold deck all night i often tilt withdraw. it screws me over tho cos i have my site deposit limit set at £25 lol
  • edited July 2009
    Although at times it can be difficult to do so always think long-term when it comes to bad beats.Over a period of time if you are consistently getting your chips in while you are ahead the poker gods will reward you.
  • edited July 2009
    I gave out two of the most horrible beats you will ever see two nights ago.

For context, I had the big stack against two pretty low stacks - I put them on a wide range and knew even if I lost I would still have a very useful stack.

First one A5 vs QQ. The board - K 9 6 8 7 - still don't believe that.

Then a good old conterfieting - A8 vs 33. The board - K K 6 4 4. Parental Advisory.

As SpikeLad said, bad beats happen, but if you get your chips in ahead more often than not they will come out ahead.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Bad beats : I agree with most things but, why stay off the cash tables, that is where 99.99% of pros make a living grinding. Cash is the best way to make a constant steady income. Cash is the variation of the game with the most skill. This is due to the size of stacks to blinds. There is not much skill in poker when you OR your opponent has less than 15 big blinds.
    Posted by bonniedog

Nice Post
    The only reason i said, 'stay off the cash tables'  was because the original post was about  how to get over 'Bad Beats'.
    It's a different matter all together when your confidence is high and your 'Emotions' towards the game are in good shape and off course you don't have to play under pressure ......
     The other point is Pro's!!
     Lets be honest here, your right about 99.99% pro's make a living on the cash tables.... but 99.99% players on this and most other sites AREN'T Pros !!
     A lot might think they are  ??   but most of us are working people playing for fun and hopefully a profit some weeks.
    Ive known good  players who sit at their computers 18 hours a day and after  1 year they have made  5k profit ..?
    Now ask someone in a job working 8-4   .. 5 days a week would they be happy to earn 5k a year and you have the answer ..!!
    This is a great game but we have to be realistic, there's nothing wrong with having a dream and chasing it but Bad Beats are a part of the game we all get them.
     Ultimately as much as winning can become a habit ...so to,  can losing become a habit and that takes me back to where i started on how to get over bad beats ...!
    glk bennydip2