You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO8 - Massive draw, did I get maximum value?

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Think I could've got paid by more than 1 opponent, thoughts?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
bearaceSmall blind 15.0015.001965.00
mikey664Big blind 30.0045.002220.00
 Your hole cards
  • A

NoLimitsFold    
AusPomCall 30.0075.002920.00
jazzman227Fold    
EvilPinguCall 30.00105.001880.00
bearaceCall 15.00120.001950.00
mikey664Check    
Flop

bearaceCheck    
mikey664Check    
AusPomCheck    
EvilPinguBet 120.00240.001760.00
bearaceFold    
mikey664Fold    
AusPomCall 120.00360.002800.00
Turn

AusPomCheck    
EvilPinguBet 270.00630.001490.00
AusPomCall 270.00900.002530.00
River

AusPomCheck    
EvilPinguBet 675.001575.00815.00
AusPomFold    
EvilPinguMuck    
EvilPinguWin 900.00 1715.00
EvilPinguReturn 675.000.002390.00

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Moved from General Poker Chat?

Oops! Why did I put it in there...Lol
  • edited December 2011
      There is one thing to remember about PLO vs NLHE and that is how many streets of value you can get. In NLHE it is quite possible to get all streets paid by a weaker hand but in PLO/PLO8 it is only common due to it being such a drawing game to get value on the flop and turn.River value tends not to get paid because they have missed or outdrawn you.

With this in mind when entering a pot like this especially in position i would favour coming in with a preflop raise. It doesnt have to be much, just a minraise here is fine.This means that you still havent committed many chips to the pot or are you pot stuck but it allows you to bet bigger on both flop and turn therefore increasing your value.

As played. I like your flop bet with only big draws you dont want to be playing 4 handed so your pot bet is good.The turn gives you nut hi and second nut lo so again i would be looking at pot here to really build the pot up.

As to the river bet.You have bet 3/4pot with third nut hi and second nut lo. Is there reallistically any hand they could have here worse than yours which would call that bet.Any hand that calls that bet would probably taking some  of the pot away from you so i think a much smaller river bet is called for to get any value at all.

Just my thoughts and others will probably disagree but hope it is of some help.
  • edited December 2011
    cant see alot wrong here u bet each street which is good wellplayed 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: PLO8 - Massive draw, did I get maximum value?:
      There is one thing to remember about PLO vs NLHE and that is how many streets of value you can get. In NLHE it is quite possible to get all streets paid by a weaker hand but in PLO/PLO8 it is only common due to it being such a drawing game to get value on the flop and turn.River value tends not to get paid because they have missed or outdrawn you.   With this in mind when entering a pot like this especially in position i would favour coming in with a preflop raise. It doesnt have to be much, just a minraise here is fine.This means that you still havent committed many chips to the pot or are you pot stuck but it allows you to bet bigger on both flop and turn therefore increasing your value.  As played. I like your flop bet with only big draws you dont want to be playing 4 handed so your pot bet is good.The turn gives you nut hi and second nut lo so again i would be looking at pot here to really build the pot up.   As to the river bet.You have bet 3/4pot with third nut hi and second nut lo. Is there reallistically any hand they could have here worse than yours which would call that bet.Any hand that calls that bet would probably taking some  of the pot away from you so i think a much smaller river bet is called for to get any value at all.   Just my thoughts and others will probably disagree but hope it is of some help.
    Posted by Talon
    Pre-flop: Never thought about the min raise like that, I guess if all the pre-flop limpers call my min raise, all my bets in later street are bigger, so I get twice as much value when I hit but only lose 30 chips when I don't? I like that :D I guess I'm too used to NLHE where a min raise there would just be fishy, lol

Flop: Yep, didn't want it multi way, really.

Turn: Idk why, but I hate betting pot twice in a row, but point taken and I agree, should've probably bet pot.

River: Thought this was where I went wrong, thought my bet size scared off the opponent, hence posting this thread - Point definitely taken.