You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Really Dumb mistake in Velocity 200 last night - how would others have approached this preflop

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Was approaching the bubble on the £5 buyin Velocity £200 tourney last night there was around 15 players remaining I was small blind in 1st position 53k chips and had 33 , 2nd place in tourney was BB with around 30k chips, blinds were 1k-2k, I know better than to get too involved with other large stacks cannot explain why but somehow had a meltdown on this hand and broke every rule in the book. I'd like to think i have learned a painful lesson from what i did - just lets say i ended up all in knowing i was being crushed or at best in a race.

How would others approach this hand its been folded round to me do you raise with 33 , call/fold or simply fold avoiding any confrontation with your closest chipstack - it means nothing in the scheme of things but he had 77 and followed my raise to 5k with an All In - I know should have been an instant fold here but more intrested others opening gambit than my mistake.

I still went on to cash but can only think what if. its seems to be a common fault for me to play well 90% of a game only to make one horrendous mistake crashing out or crippling myself at a crucial stage of game when blinds will soon finish you off.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    He only has 15bbs so kinda tricky, you have 20k even if you lose which is pretty good at 1/2k so getting it in where most times he has overs could be deemed going ftw.

Not sure you can raise/fold BvB so probz ok how you played it if you can put him on overs enough of the time. 
  • edited December 2011
    opening to 5k pre is fine, and standard here imo in a velocity, if you can get away with making it less do. His stacksize is pretty awkward here, I usually call it off, but if hes very nitty it might be a fold

I dont mind just openshoving pre either
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Really Dumb mistake in Velocity 200 last night - how would others have approached this preflop:
    I dont mind just openshoving pre either
    Posted by grantorino
    This is what I do here if I'm playing the hand.
  • edited December 2011
    this is a instant fold for me like u say ya got 53k and 2nd is on 30 k u should easily cash here u answered ya own question y get involved when u got all in u are only getting called by a better hand then what u have i dnt mind a 2.5k raise and fold to a shove if its a big stack shove but small stack shove id call as u have already 2.5 x raised it 
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds pretty standard to me. Blind vs blind you have to raise from the small blind with any pair since you are so likely to be ahead. His response is going to be the same if he has two paint cards and any pair above 77. When he raises it's player dependant whether you call or fold. I assume you have been playing this table for a while and have a few reads on him. You should be making lots of notes about how he plays blind on blind.

If you lose the hand you are still well in the tournement with 11.5BBs and his stack is the perfect size for shoving a pre-flop raise. I think most players would have played this the same. Chickening out and giving him a walk, while the right thing to do on this occasion (you were 4.5:1 dog this time) is a mistake in the long run because you need to keep putting the pressure on the table as the chip leader so that you win the tournement.

Pretty sick cooler given the circumstances in the tournement but don't worry about it. This is why MTTs are such high variance
  • edited December 2011
    Not as dumb as my 'mistake/s' in the 500 gtd rebuy velocity.....

Its not often you cash for £20 in a £5 tournament and are still -£70 for your trouble.

18 rebuys & 1 add on ftw!

• edited December 2011
    fold or shove

can't raise out of the sb with 33,  turning 33 into any 2 by raising

prefer a fold

it may be a shove maths wise but hey ho

how much do we need 3k would be my question, hence the fold - risk v reward and all that

making up from the sb would be funny though :)
    I would consider it, depends who's on the bb
  • edited December 2011
    Set mine, just limp and theres not enough of an incentive for him to shove steal. Then if you miss just get out of the hand. But if you do raise 5k, insta fold to the all in.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your input