You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Live Tournament Hand

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I think this has to be bad, but not sure what I want to change although most streets are questionable

50+5 Double chance tourney, around 16 of 41 remaining, 8 at table I think
Villain 1: No real reads, played one hand v him where he called my HJ raise in BB, donked for more than pot on an AJx monotone board, I folded, he showed an A

Villain 2: Fishy, plays straightforward postflop

My image is aggro, not at table long,I have shoved in my 10-15BB stack a good few times, which people seem to find unusual, only time I was called I had AA. Table also limps a lot in general often limpfolding , not there that long though

I have ~13K at start of hand, villains both cover. Blinds 300/600

Villain 1 limps, utg+1, villain 2 calls in co , I make it 2200 with 8d7d from btn, both villains call

Flop Ad5d3h

Villain 1 leads for 2.5K, villain 2 calls, I call

Turn 6d

Villain 1 leads for 2.5K, again we both call

River Ax

Villain 1 shoves for about 12K, villain 2 calls with a little less, I fold with roughly 6k behind

Thoughts on the above, I think its pretty bad but not really sure how else to play it, other than maybe fold pre. Really had a feeling I was beat on turn. Also betsizes may be slightly out

Comments

• edited December 2011
    gt what did you have them on? trips? fh? better flush? dont think i could put it down and leave me 10 bigs left with pos both on trips?
  • edited December 2011
    You could shove the flop. Or even just raised it, and if youre called then Go all in on the turn.And if youre 3bet on the flop, shove. 
  • edited December 2011

i think id prob shove flop. but its your read on villian 1 that makes this a little tricky, he donked with an ace last time so i guess you gotta assume he has it again, so understand the call. i think when you make your flush on the turn you have to put the rest of your money in there, sure you are kind of turning your hand face up, but if he has tp he prob aint good enough to fold, just hope villian 2 aint got better

• edited December 2011
    y didnt u shove on the turn u hit ya flush get in in whilst ya ahead dnt slow play theres enough in the pot to take already 
  • edited December 2011
    Shove turn

As played sigh fold i suppose, i dont understand how u can think its 8 handed? surely if your playing u should know this! 

• edited December 2011
    dont like shoving flop, they never fold an A or better draw, and I have great direct odds to call ip

Turn I didnt shove for two reasons, I think it makes it possible for these guys to fold Ax it turns my hand completely face up. I also had a sense I was behind esp to villain 2. Now I'm dont play much live and my instincts arent always great, but really felt I might be beat here. When river pairs board and theres a big bet and a call I really dont like it

Thats some of my reasoning I dont think its a particularly coherent line and am pretty sure there must be a better way to play it
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Live Tournament Hand:
    dont like shoving flop, they never fold an A or better draw, and I have great direct odds to call ip Turn I didnt shove for two reasons, I think it makes it possible for these guys to fold Ax it turns my hand completely face up. I also had a sense I was behind esp to villain 2. Now I'm dont play much live and my instincts arent always great, but really felt I might be beat here. When river pairs board and theres a big bet and a call I really dont like it Thats some of my reasoning I dont think its a particularly coherent line and am pretty sure there must be a better way to play it
    Posted by grantorino
    i dont think they fold AX tbh, villian 1 (who we are assuming has AX) leads turn into 2 players (1 of whom was the original raiser) he aint foldin. villian 2 could potentially have you beat but we have a flush, its hard to make flushes & we shouldnt fold flushes, yep jammin the turn does definatly turn your hand face up, but judging by the line of villian 1 and your reads on him i wouldnt exactly worry about him realising this lol. also if they do both fold, the pot is pretty big anyway, add it to your stack now. dont risk giving a free river card
  • edited December 2011
    like i say call the river!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Live Tournament Hand:
    I think this has to be bad, but not sure what I want to change although most streets are questionable 50+5 Double chance tourney, around 16 of 41 remaining, 8 at table I think Villain 1: No real reads, played one hand v him where he called my HJ raise in BB, donked for more than pot on an AJx monotone board, I folded, he showed an A Villain 2: Fishy, plays straightforward postflop My image is aggro, not at table long,I have shoved in my 10-15BB stack a good few times, which people seem to find unusual, only time I was called I had AA. Table also limps a lot in general often limpfolding , not there that long though I have ~13K at start of hand, villains both cover. Blinds 300/600 Villain 1 limps, utg+1, villain 2 calls in co , I make it 2200 with 8d7d from btn, both villains call Flop Ad5d3h Villain 1 leads for 2.5K, villain 2 calls, I call Turn 6d   Villain 1 leads for 2.5K, again we both call River Ax Villain 1 shoves for about 12K, villain 2 calls with a little less, I fold with roughly 6k behind Thoughts on the above, I think its pretty bad but not really sure how else to play it, other than maybe fold pre. Really had a feeling I was beat on turn. Also betsizes may be slightly out
    Posted by grantorino

you've opened 7 high over limpers who wont fold from a only just over 20bb stack. you then make a flush on the turn... HALLELUJAH. if you're beat you're beat who gives a monkeys.

As for how to play it in future, fold pre.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Live Tournament Hand : you've opened 7 high over limpers who wont fold from a only just over 20bb stack. you then make a flush on the turn... HALLELUJAH. if you're beat you're beat who gives a monkeys. As for how to play it in future, fold pre.
    Posted by beaneh
    yeah this is prob the best advice on this thread, although tbf he did say there was alot of limp foldin. but totally agree if your raising with this type of hand then make a flush its a strange fold & yep it should be a fold pre. but if your in his postion post flop how do you play it? jam the flop? jam the turn? take his line but call river?
  • edited December 2011
    i should hope its the best advice on the thread lol
  • edited December 2011
    play for flush, hit flush - get money in
  • edited December 2011
    definitely should have shoved turn, you folded the river so obviously scared of what the river card could have been? so shove turn they either fold or call and you still have the flush if they call. What was you expecting to hit? a straight flush? fold next time tbh if you're scared to get it in when you hit the cards you wanted.
  • edited December 2011
    you're not allowed to fold five blues ffs. what were you thinking?!
  • edited December 2011
    agree I should prob fold pre

Im not scared of river, if I shove turn its very rare they fold any hand that can catch me on river

As everyone thinks I should get it in (I tend to agree), why is shoving turn better than calling and getting it in on river? If the latter do we get it in on every river or fold diamond rivers. What about rivers which pair board

Some of you saying why play 87s if I am going to fold a flush? Well apart from the fact that its going to be pretty rare that I fold a flush, pre is basically a bluff with a hand that can flop well sometimes. Im looking to win pot pre or with a cbet, but as I said above I agree fold pre is better.

I folded because I really felt at time I was beat, couldnt give you a really good reason as to why I thought that other than maybe villain 2 snapcalled all 3 streets. I would prob give similar replies to what most of you guys gave above if someone else posted the hand

Oh and younggun, I cant click my hand histories and get exact action,and I dont have photographic memory so not 100% it was 8 handed, similarly bet and stacksizes may be slightly off
  • edited December 2011
    agree I should prob fold pre Im not scared of river, if I shove turn its very rare they fold any hand that can catch me on river As everyone thinks I should get it in (I tend to agree), why is shoving turn better than calling and getting it in on river? If the latter do we get it in on every river or fold diamond rivers. What about rivers which pair board Some of you saying why play 87s if I am going to fold a flush? Well apart from the fact that its going to be pretty rare that I fold a flush, pre is basically a bluff with a hand that can flop well sometimes. Im looking to win pot pre or with a cbet, but as I said above I agree fold pre is better. I folded because I really felt at time I was beat, couldnt give you a really good reason as to why I thought that other than maybe villain 2 snapcalled all 3 streets. I would prob give similar replies to what most of you guys gave above if someone else posted the hand Oh and younggun, I cant click my hand histories and get exact action,and I dont have photographic memory so not 100% it was 8 handed, similarly bet and stacksizes may be slightly off
    Posted by grantorino

Shoving the turn is the best option as your stack is half - 2/3rds a potsize. Now due to this you're getting called in at least one spot but be happy you have a flush. If the villian calls you with 2 pair and gets there in the end - thats tourney poker, got to win those one to win tourneys.

Now im dieing to know... 

What did they have?

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Live Tournament Hand : you've opened 7 high over limpers who wont fold from a only just over 20bb stack. you then make a flush on the turn... HALLELUJAH. if you're beat you're beat who gives a monkeys. As for how to play it in future, fold pre.
    Posted by beaneh

THIS
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Live Tournament Hand : Shoving the turn is the best option as your stack is half - 2/3rds a potsize. Now due to this you're getting called in at least one spot but be happy you have a flush. If the villian calls you with 2 pair and gets there in the end - thats tourney poker, got to win those one to win tourneys. Now im dieing to know...  What did they have?
    Posted by AAelmoAA
    Villain 1 had AJ, Villain 2 KdTd