You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Seat for Ski?

edited November 2009 in The Sky Poker Tour
Skicowboys has still not made a seat after trying 14 Semi finals at £24 a pop and over 10 £5.20 quarter finals...

However, this is not through lack of trying, or lack of poker skill. Skicowboys is a great player and has been with Sky for a long time. He used to be up the top of the MTT league all the time... He has just had bad beat after bad beat and bubble after bubble in these satellites.  It is for these reasons that i ask Mr SPT to consider giving Skicowboys a free seat for this tournament if this poll goes in his favour...

I think it would be a nice gesture...However, i will totally understand if the answer is no

Comments

• SPTSPT
    edited November 2009
    Hello

I will discuss this with the suits!

Nice idea, but no promises at this stage
  • edited November 2009
    Good idea. 

Only issue would be if the other qualifiers felt they would not have the same favour in the same situation.

I think as a gesture of goodwill seeing as Ski is a long standing member, has paid out massive overlay to qualify and Sky have 25 'other' seats then this could be done. Perhaps set a precedent of ONE extra good will seat per event to a Sky player whom has shown certain qualities to get through, but not made it. That could be one way of legitimising it to be fair.

Just my idea. Good luck SKI!

Dave
  • edited November 2009
    this is is a big grey area....and i do not want to cause a big stir by saying this. but a lot of players must be trying and havent qualified. and ski surely is not the only long serving player not to have qualify. whether they are top of the MTT tables or not, everyone has been loyal to sky. this would be unfair to everyone to have actually qualified for someone to enter for free....and equally unfair to people who have failed to qualify through the satellites. its just my opinion but surely it would be unfair for someone to get special preferential treatment.
    having said that, of course i bid u good luck ski and do hope you qualify through the satellites.
  • edited November 2009
    Nice idea...if not entirely fair to others who keep "just" missing out in satellites?
  • edited November 2009
    Don't really think you can set this precedent, yes ski is a good player but there must be others that keep trying too.
    I do hope he qualifies though.
  • edited November 2009

Meh.

It'd be lovely to "gift" deserving players free seats, & none is more deserving than Ski.

But can you imagine the hoohah from others who failed to qualify if Sky Poker gave him a free seat?

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, but this is not one of them. All imo, of course.

For the avoidance of doubt, nobody wants Ski to be there more than me, & I've championed his efforts on this Forum, & the Live Show, again & again.

As I said, there are lots of ways to skin a cat......
  • edited November 2009
    personally i think this would be a terrible thing for sky to do, a lot of other players would be very angry and you could understand the reasons why. if were being honest its quite clear that £110 is not a serious amount of money to ski, other players will have tried to enter with very little amounts and failed, no offence to ski as i have never had the pleasure of playing with him but imo if you cant enter through the satelites and still wanna play then you pay the £110 entry fee
  • SPTSPT
    edited November 2009
    This was a nice idea, and well meant. However I can confirm that I have consulted with Sky Poker and we/they will not be able to allocate seats in this way.

It almost goes without saying that I/We wish SkiCowboys all the best this week and hopefully will still see him in Manchester!
  • edited November 2009

SPT-Rich has a "CD" plate on his car. Or should have. He's also a cryptic crossword question-setter in his spare time.

It's them bits in the spaces you need to be able to read. 

• edited November 2009
    i wish ski all the best and hes still got plenty of time to qualify and even if he doesnt i am sure he will be able to attend and give a good account of himself
  • edited November 2009
    Hi Guys,
    Like everyone else, I would love to see Ski there, but if this was to happen without them qualifing, that would be the end of the integrety of Sky Poker.
    Put it this way, what constitutes a big enough sum to spend, that gets a "free" seat.
    The only way this would happen, is to open the seats without qualification, not how Sky see it i'm afraid.
    Lats year, when the cost of a seat was £55, I spent £120 to get to the first leg, imo thems the breaks.
    col
  • edited November 2009

im thinking maybe sky could run 60quid heads up sitngo ???

• edited November 2009

Hi all.
              First of all may i also wish SKICOWBOYS gl in qualifying for Manchester. I am not sure sky would be able
     to grant your request Gregg,As last year i contacted the WSOP with the exact same situation only for them to decline.
     Something to do with the rules or something,
     They said a run of bad beats and bubbles dont get you qualification,evidently its something we all experience
     and so ive been told "live with it"
      But as i have seen SKI has tried plenty of times and i am sure he will give it hes best shot,I am sure he would rather be there on merit.( i would).Imagine how if SKI won the Manc leg the other heads up player would feel knowing he got
     a freeroll.Just a point..

I wish SKI and anybody else trying to qualify...the best of luck.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Seat for Ski?:
    This was a nice idea, and well meant. However I can confirm that I have consulted with Sky Poker and we/they will not be able to allocate seats in this way. It almost goes without saying that I/We wish SkiCowboys all the best this week and hopefully will still see him in Manchester!
    Posted by SPT
    Many thanks for looking into this, it was perhaps a naive suggestion, now seeing all the comments, but like you say it was well meant...

Perhaps the MODS can kindly close this thread now a decision has been made

Many Thanks

Greg

• edited November 2009
    hi greg

no way should the seat be given

i qualified last night with the pressure of 2 or 3 opportunities to make it, and for someone to be offered the seat seems unfair

i appreciate his loyalty to sky and hes top of mtt league... what about the people who bubbled in those mtts etc... bad luck and bad beats cant be helped

he must have got luck to win mtts, and didnt get luck in this satelite.

In Response to Seat for Ski?:
    Skicowboys has still not made a seat after trying 14 Semi finals at £24 a pop and over 10 £5.20 quarter finals... However, this is not through lack of trying, or lack of poker skill. Skicowboys is a great player and has been with Sky for a long time. He used to be up the top of the MTT league all the time... He has just had bad beat after bad beat and bubble after bubble in these satellites.  It is for these reasons that i ask Mr SPT to consider giving Skicowboys a free seat for this tournament if this poll goes in his favour... I think it would be a nice gesture...However, i will totally understand if the answer is no
    Posted by GREGHOGG
  • edited November 2009
    No seat - he's said himself he's bubbled a couple of times for £88, £66, so he's covered some of his extra entries.
    I'm sure with a few days to go, he'll have a few more stabs.

Took me 4 times to qualify, which is still under average, but still a lot.
    With an upper limit to seats, satellites are the only fair way to go.

If he does get there, he'll get the biggest response to his announcement!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Seat for Ski?:
    No seat - he's said himself he's bubbled a couple of times for £88, £66, so he's covered some of his extra entries. I'm sure with a few days to go, he'll have a few more stabs. Took me 4 times to qualify, which is still under average, but still a lot. With an upper limit to seats, satellites are the only fair way to go. If he does get there, he'll get the biggest response to his announcement!
    Posted by Loki-Rogy
    This!