You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2 UKOPS ME hands

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
At the time, I thought this hand was fairly standard and just UL to be against AK, but looking back through my hand history and seeing where I made mistakes, wondering now whether I should've folded? 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
EvilPinguSmall blind 800.00800.0062318.51
BooniconBig blind 1600.002400.0096102.75
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

matrixmanFold    
scotty77Raise 3200.005600.0027335.01
TommyDFold    
EvilPinguRaise 7200.0012800.0055118.51
BooniconFold    
scotty77All-in 27335.0140135.010.00
EvilPinguCall 22535.0162670.0232583.50
EvilPinguShow
  • J
  • A

scotty77Show
  • K
  • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

• J

River

scotty77WinStraight to the Ace62670.02 62670.02
Also, the hand before that one, is this a good check behind on the river or am I losing value most of the time by not value betting? Think I should've probably 3-bet pre.

<td style="padding-top:7px;padding-right:5px;padding-bottom:7px;padding-left:5px;color:#666666;vertical-align:middle;font-family:verdana;text-align:left;border-image:initial;font-size:0.9em;border-width:1px;border-color:#bad
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TommyDSmall blind 800.00800.0081110.00
EvilPinguBig blind 1600.002400.0078718.51
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

BooniconFold    
matrixmanFold    
scotty77Fold    
TommyDRaise 3200.005600.0077910.00
EvilPinguCall 2400.008000.0076318.51
Flop

• Q

TommyDCheck    
EvilPinguBet

Comments

• edited January 2012
    1. I prob just flat pre, if you do this though you cant just play fit or fold. Dont think 3b/c is going to be profitable at this stack depth

2 You can 3bet pre, but I like flatting here. It obv depends on dynamic. Checking river looks good to me, you are often ahead but Tommy rarely has a hand you beat that will call after checking 3 streets to you as pre flop raise
  • edited January 2012
    1. 3 b/f all day, don't like the 3 bet with AJ tbh
    I know scotty is aggro but AJ just doesn't play well versus the 4 bet shove range

2. fine, lucky Tommy - river is good
  • edited January 2012
    Hey Pengu.  Sorry just seen this (trying to spend more time back in the clinic, I've been a bit absent lately).

Hand 1 - Versus Ryan I'm either flatting or 3bet/folding.  I don't think I was at the table for too long before this hand and I don't know how long you were both playing together in this MTT.  Basically I'm not sure what mood Ryan was in at this point.  Play an awkward hand like AJo OOP against a good player is probably not great unless you're feeling confident/playing well.  I probably prefer the 3bet/fold.  As soon as he shoves you have to fold unless you have been 3betting him a lot previously.  Unless he has very good reason to believe you are 3betting light AJo plays abysmal against his 4bet shoving range.

Hand 2 - Oh chuckles to my luckbox skills.  3betting pre for you is ok but so is flatting in position, providing you have a plan for the many times you will miss.  I recently moved to this seat IIRC and while I was honest in wishing you luck in this MTT on your diary thread I'm still going to test you out and see what happens.  The problem with 3betting pre is you are either looking to take it down there and then with a decent in position hand or you're going to be faced with a tough decision if I 4bet.  I am unlikely (but not impossible as I have my spewy moments) to call a decent 3bet OOP.  The other two results will happen more.

Postflop absolutely fine.  River is the nut worst card for you how I've played the hand and you'll not get any value out of any hand you're beating.  Reviewing the hand for myself I hate not clicking back the turn.  I was trapping to raise the river when I should have realised there were about a million bad river cards for me to do this on.  FWIW after my blatant nicking pre I've suddenly flopped showdown with little betting value (hence the check call on flop).  I wanted to keep this pot small and let you fire at it with airballs.  Turn is my gin, which as discussed above I chose not drink and the river is check check a bunch of times.
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks for the feedback guys :) Definitely got the 1st hand completely wrong then, lol. Was probably a bit over confident having got as far as I did too, which didn't help.

@ Tommy - When looking back through hand history, I was surprised you didn't check/raise the turn as well tbh. Thought you were drawing, as you said the river card killed the action.
  • edited January 2012
    Tommy - Evil has been very active on that table which has surprised me.  I think he had 3bet me about 4/5 times in the last 30/45 mins, and also 3bet some other people at the table.  He chipped up quite a lot without even seeing a flop.....

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: 2 UKOPS ME hands:
    Tommy - Evil has been very active on that table which has surprised me.  I think he had 3bet me about 4/5 times in the last 30/45 mins, and also 3bet some other people at the table.  He chipped up quite a lot without even seeing a flop.....
    Posted by scotty77
    That changes it a bit, makes it closer. 

Never really all over calling off 4bets with AJ but if Ryan's 4bet shoving range has just merged with his opening range due to you activity then it might be a profitable call.  The question you would have to ask yourself is if Ryan (or whoever the villain is in a set situation) is likely to shove light enough times because of your 3betting against them waiting for a premium hand to pick you off.  That and what their open range is of course.