You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Suited Connectors

this is something im a little unsure of and ill use an example i had from a game last week for how i played it and how see if someone else would recommend it.

example: (live game)

down to the last 3 or 16 runners, sitting second biggest stack on the big blind with 5,6 both diamonds in my hand. Dealer and SB both call my BB. I checked.

Flop comes

4d, 7d, 9s.

SB bets minimum bet 2000, i raise over the top all in, SB had the smaller stack, i had a straight flush draw aswell as the straight and flush draws. SB calls with J,10 ovbiously having the straight draw himself with an 8 giving him the straigh or runner Q,K for an even higher straight, this removed 3 of my outs with 8's excluding the 8 of diamonds.

I missed all my outs and my opponent missed  his aswell. As a result SB doubled up with J high, and i was half stacked and went out the following hand as my 2 pair was beaten by a straight. However if i had won this hand id have gone into the HU with a small chip lead.

Just woundering if i played this correctly

Comments

• edited November 2009
      It is a very difficult question to answer. On that board you knew you were behind on the flop because nobody would put chips in with a worse hand than that. So then it came down to a matter of outs.  If you assume that the 5 or 6 are not good then you had 9 diamonds and 3 3's, so 12 outs making you 48% favourite not counting in redraws. So the odds were good in that situation.  There are many other factors to consider in the equation though.  Firstly do you want to effectively risk your tournament life with 6 high. Could you have waited for a better spot?  Maybe raising preflop would have been a better idea to give yourself a chance of taking it down uncontested.

Small stacks are very dangerous to play against especially short handed.  Suited connectors play at there best when you get in cheap in a multiway pot and you can be paid big when they hit and get away cheap when they dont.

So basically there was mathematically nothing wrong with the way you played it, but it comes down to was the situation right for that move. With the SB calling your all-in with 2 overs and a gutshot then he was getting desperate and was looking to get his chips in the middle. All in all it can be argued eitherway, the main thing thing iswere you happy with the decision. If you were then keep playing like that because it is not bad play, If you werent then then think of alternatives to how it could have been played and choose the one you would have been most comfortable with.
    Be it raise pre or fold on the flop.

Good luck on the tables
  • edited November 2009
    stop being results orientated. You got your money in as a 60/40 favourite.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Suited Connectors:
    this is something im a little unsure of and ill use an example i had from a game last week for how i played it and how see if someone else would recommend it. example: (live game) down to the last 3 or 16 runners, sitting second biggest stack on the big blind with 5,6 both diamonds in my hand. Dealer and SB both call my BB. I checked. Flop comes 4d, 7d, 9s. SB bets minimum bet 2000, i raise over the top all in, SB had the smaller stack, i had a straight flush draw aswell as the straight and flush draws. SB calls with J,10 ovbiously having the straight draw himself with an 8 giving him the straigh or runner Q,K for an even higher straight, this removed 3 of my outs with 8's excluding the 8 of diamonds. I missed all my outs and my opponent missed  his aswell. As a result SB doubled up with J high, and i was half stacked and went out the following hand as my 2 pair was beaten by a straight. However if i had won this hand id have gone into the HU with a small chip lead. Just woundering if i played this correctly
    Posted by The_Don90
    Hi Don
    IMO you make a mistake in counting the straight flush, as this still a flush draw. In this instance it is open ended straight but dont let that thinking stick to much. The sb only has a gutshot draw, vbad.
    How much did the sb have after the2000 bet, as i cant see why you would go all in on your draw. On what you've told us, i would have called the 2000 bet.

col
  • edited November 2009
    You did the right thing, with so many outs and the bigger stack you need to be the bully, IMO the only thing wrong there is the SB called you all in on gutshot?? Awful play IMO.. as for your play. keep doing the same, next time you'll be a big CL
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Suited Connectors:
    this is something im a little unsure of and ill use an example i had from a game last week for how i played it and how see if someone else would recommend it. example: (live game) down to the last 3 or 16 runners, sitting second biggest stack on the big blind with 5,6 both diamonds in my hand. Dealer and SB both call my BB. I checked. Flop comes 4d, 7d, 9s. SB bets minimum bet 2000, i raise over the top all in, SB had the smaller stack, i had a straight flush draw aswell as the straight and flush draws. SB calls with J,10 ovbiously having the straight draw himself with an 8 giving him the straigh or runner Q,K for an even higher straight, this removed 3 of my outs with 8's excluding the 8 of diamonds. I missed all my outs and my opponent missed  his aswell. As a result SB doubled up with J high, and i was half stacked and went out the following hand as my 2 pair was beaten by a straight. However if i had won this hand id have gone into the HU with a small chip lead. Just woundering if i played this correctly
    Posted by The_Don90
    I haven't read through the other post's so i apologise if i'm repeating anyones advice but my play would of been to call his min bet, and this is for 2 reasons

1) I know at this point im' behind but hoping to improve so i get the next card cheap

2) I'm also looking for a card to come that i can represent as drawing to as i have position on the SB

with no raise pre flop from the shot stack with everybody having a blind in im not giving him much credit for a hand TBH. and although im probably playing this differently i don't blame you for pushing in.

With Jack high and a draw though I think your push should have said to him that he was behind and probably needed to hit his Straight, Jack or Ten to win. I don't know why he's min betting with 7 outs that help (as he doesn't want to see a diamond). If he's getting involved here then he should just push it in IMO
  • edited November 2009
    if you could somehow see his holecards and you saw he had JT would you still just call? Seems to me like The Don played it the best out of the 2 players and made the other guy make a mistake.

If he just calls and then has to face another bet on the turn still with 6 high but worse odds to hit the straight or flush or lets the guy hit a pair and is then way behind then its The Don making the mistakes.

• edited November 2009
    Thanks guys,

Erm to answer the question of how big was his stack, im sure he had 4000 left. i had 10000 and the other opponent who folded had 15000 with 8000 in the pot(all including the 2000 bet)
  • edited November 2009
    Can we have some real posts please... this is zzzzzzzzzzz, u did nothing wrong and if u think u did quit poker imo . Offshoot what happened to u? U have dropped stakes massively!
  • edited November 2009
    no need for the attitude. The reason i made the post was simply because i wanted someone elses opinion on how i played.

The second post was made because mr_mbro asked a question which i answered
  • edited November 2009
    Well you played it fine, case closed
  • edited November 2009
    played  it   fine   the  don  dont  take   any  notice  what  others  say   because  this  is what  the  forums  foe  advice  and  banter
  • edited November 2009
    imo you were right, got your money in first, giving you two chances of winning, the other's folding, or hitting your cards.
  • edited November 2009
    Would u be posting this if u hit?

PRobably not?
  • edited November 2009
    Quote `  It is a very difficult question to answer. On that board you knew you were behind on the flop because nobody would put chips in with a worse hand than that.`

I have lots of debates about this type of scenario.  IMO I would think I was ahead of anything on that flop as we are actually beating AA here.  We are not even that far behind a set.  Once a turn blanks though it is a different situation so get it in on the flop when you are pretty sure you are ahead.
  • edited November 2009
    I am not a fun of suited connectors. With that flop would have no issue folding.