You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Read a really good magazine tells u about leaks in the game

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
IGNORING HOW POSITION AFFECTS PREFLOPS RAISES  What is the leak ? Hand ranges all the time according to what position a player has at the table . Many weaker cash players ignore this and get stacked unnecessarily     Why is it a leak ? When you play against aggresive online players its very common to get all your chips in preflop.Its always player -dependent to some extent but in late position( such as on the button versus the blinds or vica versa ) you can jam all in pre flop pretty light and expect it to be + EV. My typical value range would be 9 9  A Q A  K . This is because there are fewer people to get through and a greater likelihood that people are stealing or three-betting light thus allowing you to capitalise by four - betting or shoving lighter in return if you jam with JJ in these situations and run into a bigger pair you havent done anything wrong you ve just been unfortunate to run into the top of your opponents range. A major error that palyers constantly make is failing to adjust these standard all-in ranges when the seat positions are altered        How to fix it ? Say you hold the same hand .pocket jacks but this time you are in the cutoff and a player has raised uner the gun. Three-betting with the intention of getting all-in would now be a major mistake. unless there is a hyper-aggresive dynamic between the two players.You are showing so much strength ( but actually over-representing you hand ) that he will likely fold all smaller pairs ( or set-mine ) . while  four betting hands that beat you and A-k betting betting four-bet here puts you in a terrible situation since foldiing you have wasted the value of a strong hand like J J     i found this a good read and hope u do aswell from steve idonkcallu 

Comments

• edited January 2012
    IGNORING HOW POSITION AFFECTS PREFLOPS RAISES  

What is the leak? 
    Hands range all the time according to what position a player has at the table . 
    Many weaker cash players ignore this and get stacked unnecessarily.    

Why is it a leak? 
    When you play against aggresive online players its very common to get all your chips in preflop.
    Its always player -dependent to some extent but in late position (such as on the button versus the blinds or vica versa) 
    you can jam all in pre flop pretty light and expect it to be + EV. 

My typical value range would be 9 9  A Q A  K . 

This is because there are fewer people to get through and a greater likelihood that people are stealing or three-betting light.
    Thus allowing you to capitalise by four-betting or shoving lighter- in return if you jam with JJ in these situations and run into a bigger pair you havent done anything wrong you ve just been unfortunate to run into the top of your opponents range. 

A major error that palyers constantly make is failing to adjust these standard all-in ranges when the seat positions are altered.

How to fix it?
    Say you hold the same hand- pocket jacks- but this time you are in the cutoff and a player has raised under the gun. 

Three-betting with the intention of getting all-in would now be a major mistake, unless there is a hyper-aggresive dynamic between the two players.

You are showing so much strength (but actually over-representing you hand) that he will likely fold all smaller pairs (or set mine)), while  four betting hands that beat you and A-k betting betting four-bet here puts you in a terrible situation since foldiing you have wasted the value of a strong hand like J J.     

I found this a good read and hope u do aswell from steve  idonkcallu 
  • edited January 2012
    That reminds me of an article that I read in Poker Player about pre-flop 3 betting. It said that the majority of your three bets pre should be high equity bluffs in possition. About 3:2 bluffs to value bets. The reason was to avoid "the nit wars" where if a player works out that you only 3-bet pre if you have AK/QQ+ then he will only 4-bet with KK+ so then you tighten up your 3-bet range so that you only 3-bet AA/KK and he only 4-bets with AA etc.

The article mentioned that 3-betting with something like A5s and then 5-bet shoving to a four bet is a good play to ballance your 3-bet range since if you get called you are going to be behind but not THAT far behind. Against KK for example you are 33.8% to win the hand. However given that they might fold to the 3-bet or the 5-bet it's a high equity bluff. It's also good advertising for when you do the same but you actually do have aces.

It also mentioned 3-bet bluffing with hands that play well post flop such as JTs, but not with middle pairs since they have enough value just to call and set mine. No need to turn the hand into a bluff. Don't think it's relevant at < NL10 where betting for value is all that's necessary. But was interesting points none the less
  • edited January 2012
    yeah was from that a great read 5 biggest leaks in a cash game