You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Note Taking At NL4

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Hi All this is my first post on the forum so please be gentle with me!!
Im new to poker and mainly play cash at NL4, Im looking to develop my game and am looking to compile info on my opponents. My questions is:

A, Are notes beneficial at this level or will they not really help my game?

B, If notes are important what kind of thing should i be looking out for?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Know who is a grinder at these levels and know who is a recreational player - As a general rule, grinders will be on multiple tables and you can find this out from using the "Find a player" function. 

Reason being that some recreational players don't really know how to play properly and will often just limp with any two cards, but when someone who is playing 8 tables has been sat quietly for ages and decides to get involved in a hand, you know they've got something.
  • edited January 2012
    Yep as Pingu says just two main things you need to note, the awful players who can't fold a hand I used to refer to them as DEAD MONEY and then just REG for good players.

Really start getting into tagging your fellow players as soon as possible as it will then let you know if the table is worth staying at or if there's better value elsewhere.

Also th find a players thing is a great idea and one I used at the start of every sesh at NL4-10 as a quick way of finding out the regs.

On top of simply tagging you should try and note down specific hands that they've played to help remind you how they play and also just any general trends like how they play strong/weak hands on flop etc as it can save you money longterm.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Note Taking At NL4:
    Yep as Pingu says just two main things you need to note, the awful players who can't fold a hand I used to refer to them as DEAD MONEY and then just REG for good players. Really start getting into tagging your fellow players as soon as possible as it will then let you know if the table is worth staying at or if there's better value elsewhere. Also th find a players thing is a great idea and one I used at the start of every sesh at NL4-10 as a quick way of finding out the regs. On top of simply tagging you should try and note down specific hands that they've played to help remind you how they play and also just any general trends like how they play strong/weak hands on flop etc as it can save you money longterm.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I agree generally with what you say here Dude, and I have been taking notes diligently on NL4 since I started. However it has been noticeable that the standard of play at this level is so erratic that, with the exception of a few competent regs, it is not worth getting too specific with the notes.
    Welcome WINKY to the site and forum, best of luck in your poker endeavours.

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Note Taking At NL4:
    In Response to Re: Note Taking At NL4 : I agree generally with what you say here Dude, and I have been taking notes diligently on NL4 since I started. However it has been noticeable that the standard of play at this level is so erratic that, with the exception of a few competent regs, it is not worth getting too specific with the notes. Welcome WINKY to the site and forum, best of luck in your poker endeavours.  
    Posted by pilgrim07
    An important note for this level would be whether when they hit a big hand they check/call to "trap" or lead out to build the pot quicker.

Some players will only ever check/raise with very good hands.

• edited January 2012

nah dont worry yourself with notes at this level, surf the web or something, chat to your mates on facebook, watch tv i dunno anything to keep you occupied whilst your waiting for the big hands to come along, when you get em just bet bet bet. seriously just standard ABC poker should be more than enough, play tight and play very aggressive when you hit a big hand, dont bluff ever

• edited January 2012
    I agree with potattoooo but taking notes won't hurt either.

Gets you into good practice for the later levels.

It will also help if you know they like to bet big when bluffing or they slow play monsters.
  • edited January 2012
    two notes

REGULAR - Solid tight player
    VALUE = everyone else

Should see you through