You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

couple of hands.

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
dont normally like playing hu cash for a few reasons, but i was looking for a nl50 table and all full apart from this guy sat on a master cash nl50 on his own. hes sat with min (25 quid) so thinking hes either very good and lulling little fish like me in or he just wants a game. starts off and we dont see a flop for first dozen hands (raising every button from both sides and other folding). not many reads over next 3 mins but is ubber aggresive (which i expect at this level). what i did notice was as we were playing he would top up to 50 then up to 100 as we played.
was the first hand spewy after playing for 10 mins without getting a range on him yet?
hand 2 is it ok to play this like i did against an aggressive player? how would others play it?
 Small blind £0.25£0.25£50.75
pod1Big blind £0.50£0.75£23.50
 Your hole cards

Raise £1.25£2.00£49.50
pod1Raise £3.00£5.00£20.50
 All-in £49.50£54.50£0.00
pod1All-in £20.50£75.00£0.00
 Unmatched bet £27.00£48.00£27.00
 Show
  • J
  • A

pod1Show

Flop

• J
  • A

Turn

River

pod1WinThree 10s£47.00 £47.00

Comments

• edited January 2012
     Small blind £0.25£0.25£99.25
    pod1Big blind £0.50£0.75£59.87
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

Raise £1.25£2.00£98.00
    pod1Call £1.00£3.00£58.87
    Flop

pod1Check    
     Bet £2.00£5.00£96.00
    pod1Call £2.00£7.00£56.87
    Turn

• Q

pod1Check    
     Bet £5.25£12.25£90.75
    pod1Call £5.25£17.50£51.62
    River

pod1Check    
     Bet £12.25£29.75£78.50
    pod1Call £12.25£42.00£39.37
     Show

pod1Show
    • Q
    • J

pod1WinPair of Queens£41.00 £80.37
  • edited January 2012
    The first hand is a standard HU hand I think when effective stack is 48xBB. I would be 3-betting bigger though since you don't want him to flat call you in possition since tens don't play well out of possition against an aggressive player. When he shoves you have to call just like when you 3-bet he has to 4-bet. In the long run these hands just generate rake.

Hand 2 is well played. Could consider a check raise on the flop if you are confident that you have the best hand and confident that your opponent will 3-bet you on the turn with worse. But the way you played it you must have been pretty sure that he will think you are weak and go for the 3rd barrel. I think if your opponent is super agressive then check raising him either on the turn or the river gains more value over time. Sometimes he may have top pair beat but many times he will have nothing.

However from how you describe the opponent I don't think this is just some random fish who wants to play some poker. I think you are likely evenly matched and might want to look elsewhere for value
  • edited January 2012
    thanks, just seen him/her multi tabling nl50 now so wasnt a novice like you say, just never seen them about. although this isnt my natural level i do try and keep an eye on players here as its my next step. 
    thanks again for feedback    phil

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: couple of hands.:
    The first hand is a standard HU hand I think when effective stack is 48xBB. I would be 3-betting bigger though since you don't want him to flat call you in possition since tens don't play well out of possition against an aggressive player. When he shoves you have to call just like when you 3-bet he has to 4-bet. In the long run these hands just generate rake. Hand 2 is well played. Could consider a check raise on the flop if you are confident that you have the best hand and confident that your opponent will 3-bet you on the turn with worse. But the way you played it you must have been pretty sure that he will think you are weak and go for the 3rd barrel. I think if your opponent is super agressive then check raising him either on the turn or the river gains more value over time. Sometimes he may have top pair beat but many times he will have nothing. However from how you describe the opponent I don't think this is just some random fish who wants to play some poker. I think you are likely evenly matched and might want to look elsewhere for value
    Posted by jugglegeek
    disagree with this, dont like the float with no equity in the hand, dont mind with maybe a diamond in ur hand but float OOP against agressive oppo is not really good. dont really like a c/r either with too many bad turns, if c/r is called and we miss the turn, what would we do then? keep bluffing ?(spewing)... id fold flop, but, once you got lucky on the turn you played correctly. no point raisin at any time as it achieves nothin. 
  • edited January 2012
    My bad. I meant to c/r the turn after he hits the queen. I can see why this is a risky play but if he is willing to call here with top pair then he must be fairly confident he has the best hand. As it turned out the player was on a bluff and fired a 3rd barrel but would have likely folded to a raise on the turn. If the player was on a draw then calling the turn effectivly gives him a free card to hit.

It's an interesting hand. I would be interested to know what a serious HU cash player would do here. Should you be willing to go broke with top pair against an agressive player given that they have such a wide range for 3-bet shoving on the turn. If he shoves with a draw, and worse queens as well as hands that beat us is it +ev?
  • edited January 2012
    im not sure where ur gettin this 3 bet shoving turn from???

i mainly play HU cash but yea would be interesting to have different veiws.! 

c/r does nothin for us, we've binked probaly the best hand on the turn but against some who plays aggro with a wide range who is capable of barrelling what does raising do? jus fold out his bluffs and keeps hands that are beating us or have good equity against us. 
    just keep pot uder control OOP . 
  • edited January 2012
    just keep pot uder control OOP .  this  i like!