You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Standing Up From A Cash Table

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hello poker fellows.

First post for my at the clinic, so your help and advide will be much appreciated.

Well, I enjoy playing cash but I have a massing leak.I don't know when to leave the table and I do it only when I have gone bust. I sit in the table,start playing and win some money.When I double my buy-in, or generally have some more money to play I become getting greedy, play looser and think I rule the table. What's the result when the ego goes into play? Splash money to other players and end up cursing my game although I started playing pretty solid.

So I would like your advice on this matter.When should I leave the table? When I double up? Should I set a target before sitting at the table and leave when I get to it?

George

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Depends on how you view the table, if theres some bad players sat with lots of money waiting to be gifted to you then you should stay.
    If someone sat on your left is making your life a misery by constantly 3 betting you pre/using his position well against you then you should leave.

I will say that its worth leaving a table regardless of the players if you've got on a heater early doors and picked up 3-4 buy ins rather fast as I believe it's +EV to bank a winning session.

Basically we need to always be able to put ourselves in the best position of winning money, don't be afraid to leave tables even if you've only been sat for a short time.
  • edited January 2012

If the dynamics change in the game and you can start to see a shift in the direction of the pots, there's no shame in leaving the table, banking 1 buy in or 1/2 of what you've just picked up and sitting at another table and start the process again.

Maybe some of the problem is that you are used to the table and think you can profit from them, but they have probably worked you out as well and are sitting waiting to pick you off.

Also, after a sesh review the hands you won and the hands when you started to lose at the end.  This might help you work out what you did wrong or you may be able to work out, what play your opponent used to trap you etc. or whether you were just unlucky.

If you're still struggling after a few sesh's post some hands in the clinic where you won and lost big, there's always help and advice at hand.

Good luck at the tables
  • edited January 2012
    when i play on cash if you are doing well just play when you get a little tired but when i play ijust have mini sessions like play for an hour then come of and then chill for abit then play again when u feel fresh as carlo would say poker is a never ending game its never going away i find it really hard playing when tired and find it such a grind so i dnt do that anymore play when full of energy and focused good luck at the tables from steve aka idonkcallu
  • edited January 2012

If you feel your playing bad then stand, if you feel you’re the value at the table then stand.

GG last night )

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Standing Up From A Cash Table:
    If you feel your playing bad then stand, if you feel you’re the value at the table then stand.   GG last night )
    Posted by rancid
    +1

Leave the table when you feel there is no more value at the table. For example if there is a reg on the table and he has doubled up I would leave the table the moment you double up. If you are playing with 5% of your roll at a table then playing a pot against this player would mean risking nearly 10%.

If, however you are at a table with a load of fish who just keep giving you their money and then reload then you can't leave untill they leave.
  • edited January 2012
    Thank you for the help guys.Really appreciated.

I understand that it depends on the table structure and the type of players that are playing.

What do you think about playing more tables in order not to play too loose and get a bit tighter? 

@Rancid: It was a good game.Really enjoyed it mate.Could have ended better tbh.Sorry for the KK vs 1010 hand.
  • edited January 2012
    Stand when you:

a) Aren't playing well
    b) Are feeling tired
    c) Aren't enjoying it

Oh, and when at the table remember you don't need to be the best player on the table, nor do you need to win every hand. You need to be better than one of the players in there and you need to win the important hands, not every hand. 

Good luck!