You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

surely i did enough......................

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
to get him to fold bottom pair??.

if not let me know....
Hand History #463229657 (18:30 13/01/2012)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancekennybad Small blind 15.00 15.00 3105.00 DAVEYZZ Big blind  30.00 45.00 2970.00   Your hole cards Q Q       mickgil75 Call  30.00 75.00 5955.00 JKAcehigh Fold     zakis Fold     kennybad Call  15.00 90.00 3090.00 DAVEYZZ Raise  150.00 240.00 2820.00 mickgil75 Fold     kennybad Call  150.00 390.00 2940.00 Flop    2 10 4       kennybad Check     DAVEYZZ Bet  390.00 780.00 2430.00 kennybad Call  390.00 1170.00 2550.00 Turn    6       kennybad Check     DAVEYZZ Bet  877.50 2047.50 1552.50 kennybad Call  877.50 2925.00 1672.50 River    2       kennybad All-in  1672.50 4597.50 0.00 DAVEYZZ All-in  1552.50 6150.00 0.00 kennybad Unmatched bet  120.00 6030.00 120.00 kennybad Show 2 5    DAVEYZZ Show Q Q    kennybad Win Three 2s 6030.00

Comments

• edited January 2012

you dont want him to fold bottom pair

• edited January 2012
    Yeah +1 lol

Wrong section as well.
  • edited January 2012
    think he was always calling after the turn card  due to the outs, 2,5,3 etc not much you can do
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: surely i did enough......................:
    think he was always calling after the turn card  due to the outs, 2,5,3 etc not much you can do
    Posted by Jameskr
    yea thats why i wanted him to fold,hence a 3 1/4 size bet, still didnt have odds to call imo...............

wrong section of forum?
  • edited January 2012
    you dont want him to fold bottom pair
    Posted by grantorino
    what,so you are supposed to bet to keep people in with bottom pair in the hope that they dont improve?...
  • edited January 2012
    obv you played fine Davey

UL 

Some ppl just dont fold, just make a note :) 
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: surely i did enough...................... : what,so you are supposed to bet to keep people in with bottom pair in the hope that they dont improve?...
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    you try to make your oppo make mistakes. This is how you make money. When you bet you want worse hands to call, or else you want better hands to fold
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: surely i did enough...................... : what,so you are supposed to bet to keep people in with bottom pair in the hope that they dont improve?...
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

When we bet, we want people to call with worse hands, and fold better.
    Your turn bet achieves the first bit to perfection. Just unlucky obv.

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: surely i did enough...................... : you try to make your oppo make mistakes. This is how you make money. When you bet you want worse hands to call, or else you want better hands to fold
    Posted by grantorino
    mmmm interesting,so what you are saying is...you never want oppo to fold while you are head even if he has draws that can beat your hand.?

i would of quite happily of taken it down on the turn.
    surely every hand doesnt have to go to showdown for all of your chips,even if you are ahead on the turn?
    cheers,dave
  • edited January 2012
    aslong as you dont make massive mistakes when your opponent hits, then no
  • edited January 2012
    you have over 1000 posts in a poker forum & you dont know that when we have a good hand we want people with worse hands to call?
  • edited January 2012
    hes also won 2 spts as well tatty, so im thinking he does know and is just venting!!
  • edited January 2012
      Firstly looking at this hand.

I hate the opponents play both preflop and on the flop but the real scenario here is on the turn.

On the turn he has 9 outs 2 2's   4 3's and 3   5's. Although these are not totally clean outs but is good enough for looking at. This makes him 4 to 1  to win the pot. Your bet gives him odds of 2 1/3  to 1 to win which is obviously not good enough. But now we have to look at the implied odds with your stack size if he hits and you pay him off then it gives him an extra 1.78 to 1 in odds. This takes him over the threshold for the call but it is still marginal at the very best.

There is of course the other option in this hand as well. Which is that he just decided that you were just playing a big ace and barrelling him in which case he could even have thought that he was ahead and you were drawing thin indeed.

What we always need to be looking at in any hand (if possible)  is not just what we have or our opponent has but what our opponent thinks we have. In this hand (apart from calling off on the river) there is a good chance that you would have played AKss exactly the same way.

As it is you got your opponent to make mistakes preflop, on the flop and on the turn. That is winning poker there.
  • edited January 2012
    you have over 1000 posts in a poker forum & you dont know that when we have a good hand we want people with worse hands to call?
    Posted by potattoooo
    if i could see his cards on the turn i certainly dont want him to ca ll,i would rather take the pot down than risk him hitting at 35%ish.
  • edited January 2012
    hes also won 2 spts as well tatty, so im thinking he does know and is just venting!!
    Posted by pod1
    there was an element of venting but i thought i was time to ask for  a bit of advice as i cant win a bean  (on sky) at the moment.

so thanks for comments guys,even the ones i dont agree with make you think of different was of playing certain hands,slowing down e.t.c....

dave
  • edited January 2012
    you are ahead...we want people to call with worse hands...if people folded everytime they were behind to you, then you wouldnt win any pots worth winning.

Poker is verys simple sir :)
  • edited January 2012
    Of course u want him to call the turn dont be silly! 

why get him to fold when he is miles behind, better to get more value and hold :) 
  • edited January 2012
    bet sizing correct dnt knock yaself over it 9 out of 10 time u will win this hand like otehr people have said u want him to call with bottome pair just unlucky long term u will win alot of the time so just keep doing what ya doing dnt let this get 2 ya