You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing overpairs

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I'm forever doing this and coming unstuck, so clearly an incorrect play!

So how should I be playing an o/p?
ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Booker1966 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.94
ZedsDeadBa Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

pipess Fold     
FADAM Fold     
AlansLuck Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £2.09
LFrancis Call  £0.08 £0.22 £5.28
Booker1966 Fold     
ZedsDeadBa Raise  £0.20 £0.42 £3.80
AlansLuck Call  £0.16 £0.58 £1.93
LFrancis Call  £0.16 £0.74 £5.12
Flop

• J

ZedsDeadBa Check     
AlansLuck Bet  £0.56 £1.30 £1.37
LFrancis Fold     
ZedsDeadBa Raise  £1.49 £2.79 £2.31
AlansLuck All-in  £1.37 £4.16 £0.00
ZedsDeadBa Call  £0.44 £4.60 £1.87
ZedsDeadBa Show
  • Q
  • Q

AlansLuck Show
  • J
  • J

Turn

• K

River

AlansLuck Win Three Jacks £4.25  £4.25
layer Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
Booker1966  Small blind   £0.02  £0.02  £1.94
ZedsDeadBa  Big blind   £0.04  £0.06  £4.00
   Your hole cards 
Q
Q

pipess  Fold    
FADAM  Fold    
AlansLuck  Raise   £0.08  £0.14  £2.09
LFrancis  Call   £0.08  £0.22  £5.28
Booker1966  Fold    
ZedsDeadBa  Raise   £0.20  £0.42  £3.80
AlansLuck  Call   £0.16  £0.58  £1.93
LFrancis  Call   £0.16  £0.74  £5.12
Flop

J

ZedsDeadBa  Check    
AlansLuck  Bet   £0.56  £1.30  £1.37
LFrancis  Fold    
ZedsDeadBa  Raise   £1.49  £2.79  £2.31
AlansLuck  All-in   £1.37  £4.16  £0.00
ZedsDeadBa  Call   £0.44  £4.60  £1.87
ZedsDeadBa  Show 
Q
Q
AlansLuck  Show 
J
J
Turn

K

AlansLuck  Win  Three Jacks  £4.25   £4
River

Comments

• edited January 2012
    3bet more pre they make it 8p you make it 20p, I'd go up to 30p minimum here.

Flop is just cooler.
  • edited January 2012
    raise pre to a lot - bash it till it says 40p or something

flop is just sigh
  • edited January 2012
    Only thing wrong is pre as others have said.

Make it 30p at least.

You can't fold flop. Just run better!
  • edited January 2012

its already been said but you have to raise more pre flop.an extra 16p on top of the original 8p bet scare nxt to nothing away. look to make it around 40p n dont be scared about other hands not calling you. more times than not you will get a caller n you can take them to value town. 

ignoring outcome of hand, i wouldnt be checking that flop after 3 betting pre. get money into it as its a drawing board.

te result is just a cooler, i play it diff but result will be the same

• edited January 2012
    Oh yeah just seen you open checked flop, what the hell are you doing? 

You 3bet and get a J high flop you bloody bet it yourself !
  • edited January 2012
    raise more pre

b/c flop
  • edited January 2012
    raise more pre to about 50p 
  • edited January 2012
    Ok fine, I take on board all your replies. 

However there is a but, I have been running so bad for months now that what I agree should be bigger pre, has been costing me too much money lately.

AA andd KK fine but JJ and QQ is almost always seeing an Axx Kxx flop and my confidence in doing the right thing is shot to pieces. Also keeping the pots a little smaller to start with has been the only only way to avoid losing whats left of my bankroll.

I know this sounds like I'm playing scared but I promised my-self when I started I was only ever loading just the once. If I go bust I stop playing poker, Fullstop!

As regards to the check on the turn, I had two to act after me and was sure one would do the betting for me, allowing the raise. So although my head is a shed atm and nervous of what the flop brings, I'm still happy to get it all in as soon as I see no overs whilst to my mind limiting my preflop exposure.

Z.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Playing overpairs:
    Ok fine, I take on board all your replies.  However there is a but, I have been running so bad for months now that what I agree should be bigger pre, has been costing me too much money lately. AA andd KK fine but JJ and QQ is almost always seeing an Axx Kxx flop and my confidence in doing the right thing is shot to pieces. Also keeping the pots a little smaller to start with has been the only only way to avoid losing whats left of my bankroll. I know this sounds like I'm playing scared but I promised my-self when I started I was only ever loading just the once. If I go bust I stop playing poker, Fullstop! As regards to the check on the turn, I had two to act after me and was sure one would do the betting for me, allowing the raise. So although my head is a shed atm and nervous of what the flop brings, I'm still happy to get it all in as soon as I see no overs whilst to my mind limiting my preflop exposure. Z.
    Posted by ZedsDeadBa
    Dont misunderstand me, I'm not whining about running bad or badbeats or any of that woe-is-me BS.

I'm just trying to control my losses which atm appear almost inevitable. I just want to get through this sticky period with the least amount of fuss and with a semblance of a BR left.

Cheers,

Z.
  • edited January 2012
    Ok fine, I take on board all your replies.  However there is a but, I have been running so bad for months now that what I agree should be bigger pre, has been costing me too much money lately. AA andd KK fine but JJ and QQ is almost always seeing an Axx Kxx flop and my confidence in doing the right thing is shot to pieces. Also keeping the pots a little smaller to start with has been the only only way to avoid losing whats left of my bankroll. I know this sounds like I'm playing scared but I promised my-self when I started I was only ever loading just the once. If I go bust I stop playing poker, Fullstop! As regards to the check on the turn, I had two to act after me and was sure one would do the betting for me, allowing the raise. So although my head is a shed atm and nervous of what the flop brings, I'm still happy to get it all in as soon as I see no overs whilst to my mind limiting my preflop exposure. Z.
    Posted by ZedsDeadBa
    I find that when running bad, it always helps to read (or re-read) any applicable poker strategy stuff. Reading something will reassure you that you're making the right decisions but just getting unlucky, and hopefully give you the confidence to keep making the right play and over time, the variance will even itself out. 

BTW, some %ages for seeing overcards on the flop when you have a pocket pair - Over cards when you have JJ and QQ won't happen every single time :)

• edited January 2012
    Posted by ZedsDeadBa
    what do u do when this happens? do u always check n give up?

what would you have done if u checked and they only led out 4p which is common. so much easier to do the betting n getting worse to call than showing strength check raising. if you have big hand then i believe its up to you to make it big n put pressure on them with lesser hands