You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Just a Cooler? DYM

edited January 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
nug82 Small blind  25.00 25.00 885.00
lewevo9 Big blind  50.00 75.00 5640.00
  Your hole cards

LondonKid Fold     
2fortyvolt Call  50.00 125.00 3430.00
nug82 All-in  885.00 1010.00 0.00
lewevo9 Call  860.00 1870.00 4780.00
2fortyvolt Fold     
nug82 Show

lewevo9 Show
  • K

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

• J

lewevo9 Win Straight to the King 1870.00  6650.00

Comments

• edited January 2012
  • edited January 2012

You played it spot on

dw about the result his call with k10s was poor to say the least imo, but thats what some chip leaders do.. make a note

• edited January 2012
    It's not a cooler, that suggests you both had hands you couldn't fold and that's just the way it is. Whereas in this case, he has a hand he should definitely be folding and it's just a horrible beat.
  • edited January 2012
    I agree op played it correctly but is it totally wrong for oppo to call here with 112 BBs?

It`s on the bubble and oppo has 95 BBs left if he doesn`t hit.

Just didn`t think the call was as bad as you`re making out tbh.

I`m probably wrong again lol.
  • edited January 2012
    My thoughts are just that in these stages when you're the big chip leader, the last thing you wanna do is give the short stack an easy double up. What hand are you possibly happy to see? QT, K9? There's no way I can see someone with about 19BBs shoving here to only win about 2BBs with that kinda junk, so you're always behind. Granted if you lose, you're still doing fine, but by doubling up the short stack, you draw the game out alot longer unnecessarily
  • edited January 2012
    don't need to shove here
  • edited January 2012
    Nah shoves fine for me, most bad players aren't limp folding much here and any call you get will probably be facing one overcard and even some underpairs so you gonna be ahead so much.

Hate raising 4x here then playing flop OOP with overcards, gonna be murder, will most likely end up check folding loads having dumped 200 important chips. 
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Just a Cooler? DYM:
    don't need to shove here
    Posted by rancid
    ofc u do! how else do u suggest we play it?
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Just a Cooler? DYM : ofc u do! how else do u suggest we play it?
    Posted by GREGHOGG

It`s deffo a shove, but i dont mind the call from the big stack either,

K 10 suited is surely not the worst hand to call an all in from the short stack is it?

The other player has 39 BBs so he has no need to get involved.

I know what Lambert is saying and i agree to a point, but DYM on the bubble, big v short, sometimes you have to be brave imo.

ps, good luck with ur challenge fella,

• edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Just a Cooler? DYM : ofc u do! how else do u suggest we play it?
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Why shove 17 bigs in a DYM with 10's
    Still raise play flop and even fold flop if you have to and have enough left

suicide imo shoving this spot
    london kid got around 2000, plenty of time
    Has the blind level just started or ending - this is very important imo

It's not a cooler, it's just a shove to increase your stack by 12%
    Should be looking for spots to increase your stack by 100%, with more equity than being asked to be called and flipping
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Just a Cooler? DYM : It`s deffo a shove, but i dont mind the call from the big stack either, K 10 suited is surely not the worst hand to call an all in from the short stack is it? The other player has 39 BBs so he has no need to get involved. I know what Lambert is saying and i agree to a point, but DYM on the bubble, big v short, sometimes you have to be brave imo. ps, good luck with ur challenge fella,
    Posted by davelufc
    Nope limp call with K10 is pretty awful imo, best he can hope for is 55-99 all else he is behind/dominated by.

In this situation with one tiny stack you have to pick your moments and this isn't one imo.
  • edited January 2012
    Not a shove for me.   Although with this dreadful call the hand is miles ahead, usually you'll only be gettin called by overpairs, or ak aq.  Maybe 99 88.   Raise up to 150-200,  and hands like a 7 suited, k 10, q 10, q j , j 9 suited etc.. will be likely to call pre, and build the pot while you've got the best hand.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Just a Cooler? DYM : Why shove 17 bigs in a DYM with 10's Still raise play flop and even fold flop if you have to and have enough left suicide imo shoving this spot
    Posted by rancid
    I presume you're on the wind-up here.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to Re: Just a Cooler? DYM : I presume you're on the wind-up here.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    no I am serious
  • edited January 2012
    So you raise to 200, pot is about 500 going to flop OOP, you now have about 750 behind, flop is Q93 (as above), what do you do?
  • edited January 2012
    So you raise to 200, pot is about 500 going to flop OOP, you now have about 750 behind, flop is Q93 (as above), what do you do?
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Never said it was easy

Don’t see why we should not play a flop versus mr passive, and just go down the shove and see route just because it’s easier because we don’t like playing OOP

You could extend your if’s and but’s and lets say mr passive or BB has AQ, now the all in doesn’t feel like a good play does it when you flipping with 17 bigs in a DYM

If the shove adds a greater percentage, say >25% then it’s ok imo

Rarther 3 bet shove

• edited January 2012
    I think where you're going wrong is you're hung up on the 17bbs, for me with this stack I would just go into 50/100 mode as in <5 mins that's what blind level it'll be and obvz then you are snap shoving.

In this situation if you raise, IMO most times you will end up check folding as in my example you're not gonna cbet 200-300 and fold are you?
  • edited January 2012
    I think where you're going wrong is you're hung up on the 17bbs, for me with this stack I would just go into 50/100 mode as in <5 mins that's what blind level it'll be and obvz then you are snap shoving. In this situation if you raise, IMO most times you will end up check folding as in my example you're not gonna cbet 200-300 and fold are you?
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Yeah it depends a lot of if the blind level is starting or ending, this is crucial – end of level – yeah ez shove

If we raise pre and get called, any safe flop is shovable

Even flop with overcard is shovable if oppo is limp/calling wide

• edited January 2012
    Much prefer shove pre but if we do raise pre I'd rather check and let them bluff.
  • edited January 2012
    Much prefer shove pre but if we do raise pre I'd rather check and let them bluff.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Yeah, doubt mr passive bluffs but v certain oppo you know that will bluff - all is good
  • edited January 2012
    shove is fine

if you raise you getting flatted almost always, flop will contain overcards a huge % of the time, and it'll be easy to make mistakes OOP.

the logic behind raising to action from hands like weak aces and small pairs is surely flawed as if villain is calling of a shove with KT then surely he is calling with these hands too